The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Have the players etc met with Kelly and his team yet?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

I don't believe Eamon Kelly has finalised his management team yet.
Can't see the players meeting up until then.

You'd hope this would be confirmed asap as we have a difficult year ahead and need to be conditioned early as there will be a hectic Spring with league games and preparation for the round robin.

Keyser Söze

Was Shane Corby confirmed as U21 manager?
Have we confirmed a minor manager yet?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Unlaoised

former Limerick captain Ollie Moran has been confirmed as part of Kelly's back room team...

Thats a big name to be fair....

Things are looking good on the set up for next year!Do we have the players tho that's the question?
LAOIS ABÚ

tcrilly

Quote from: Unlaoised on November 30, 2016, 04:08:02 PM
former Limerick captain Ollie Moran has been confirmed as part of Kelly's back room team...

Thats a big name to be fair....

Things are looking good on the set up for next year!Do we have the players tho that's the question?
We never have the players lol hopefully though we can beat the biffos again

Ogie

So Senior Management confirmed - Eamonn kelly manager,
Selectors John Taylor, Owen Coss
Coaches Conor Gleeson, Ollie Moran
S&C DJ O Dwyer
Physios & Doctor stays same.
Stats men ?
Team Secretary ?

redsetanta

I would be interested to know what Cheddar was looking for off the CB because that's a fairly professional looking set up and is hardly going to be without cost.

I hope the players can step up to the mark now and give it a right go.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

steven seagal

QuoteI would be interested to know what Cheddar was looking for off the CB because that's a fairly professional looking set up and is hardly going to be without cost.

Cheddar wasn't looking for anything for himself or the senior set up as far as I know, he pitched the County Board his vision for the long-term future of Laois hurling and wanted to get it going ASAP. The county board put it on the long finger while they looked for county managers and Cheddar got pissed off. That's what I was told anyway, unless anyone had heard differently?

Tobias

Quote from: Tobias on October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM
Interesting to hear the news of Donal Og Cusacks imminent arrival to Clare. It's a very shrewd move by Davy Fitz following a bit of a turbulent season west of the Shannon. Things were going stale down there but the arrival of Cusack as coach will really give the players renewed optimism and they will be excited by the new approach that he will bring.
I think a similar appointment in Laois would be very welcome, in the same role as a coach to work under cheddar. I think laois were a little short on ideas this year and the likes of galway found out how to play against us. I think Ger Cunningham has been good but I think a change is needed and a bit of a shake up to keep the interest of the players. I know it might be difficult to get a high profile coach, the likes of Cusack would have been ideal for us. There are people out there but I know Laois might not be the most attractive proposition.

The decision of Pat Crichley to return back to the underage structures is absolutely vital for the future of the game in our County. I think the minor set-up also needs a new approach and a new impetus. The Management appointment is a huge one as this minor team has got real potential, it hasn't happened over the past couple of years for our minors as they have had good teams but hopefully our fortunes will change next year.

In my opinion our current county team is not good enough to succeed at the highest level, our minors and under 21s have failed over the past few years with what we considered to be reasonably good sides. Our development squads 14,15,16 this year were not at the races which is a real shame and a concern, hence my reasoning for starting this thread.
I think Pat Critchley is the man to head up a complete overhaul  of our outdated underage structures and I feel it's a root and branch plan needs to be drawn up that will ultimately produce better players to play for our County at development squad and County minor level. People have a perception in laois and indeed outside of laois that we have underage structures that puts other counties to shame, that's not the case. Compared with some counties we are well behind.

Maybe we don't have the resources for this but a 'Laois hurling school of excellence' should be set up with a number of different strands to it. I would set up a player development committee to monitor each County players progress from the age of 13 to 18. Plans would be drawn up by each respective development squad management and reviewed by members of the committee and monitored regularly from year to year. Players would be put on strength and conditioning (within reason for juveniles)programmes as well as  a hurling skills programme to work on the weaknesses. Top coaches with minimum of level one coaching coarse should be deployed to look after these teams with the help of the development commitee.
I would also regionalise the setanta programme, divide it into four hurling strongholds in Laois. The reason for this is kids wouldn't have to travel to portlaoise every weekend and it would encourage more to get involved. We would then have four strong divisions rather than one. Supervised Buses should also be provided to transport our young hurlers to 'county training'.

I am well aware the we probably don't have the funds to implement the structures we would like and to be fair Cheddar has done his fair share of campaigning to the powers that be to get us the funding we need.
Basically I think we need to go back to the drawing board and try to put something in place that would give us a some chance of success in the future. I hate being too pessimistic about our chances but I am a realist and we just can't keep doing what we are doing. Any thoughts on this?

I started this post approx 15 months ago. Since then, we have shipped our heaviest ever senior hurling championship defeat at the hands of Clare who were easily enough beaten by Galway. Our minor team who a few years ago were heralded as the future stars of the game were beaten by a very poor Offaly team, our 21s beaten by Carlow and our development squads performing very poorly. Laois hurling is in a very bad place and again nothing is being done at croke park or co board level. The one man trying to turn the whole thing around walked away in frustration or was pushed out the door. It's an awful shame and unfortunately I don't see our fortunes changing.

On another note this isn't a bad 15...
Eoin Reilly
Brian Stapleton
Brian Campion
J A Delaney
J Fitz
M McEvoy
J Walsh
C Stapleton
C Collier
W Hyland
Z Keenan
J Campion
T Dowling
T Fitz
J Purcell

redsetanta

Tobias, can you see any positives at all?

Tobias

Quote from: redsetanta on January 13, 2017, 09:28:47 AM

There are some positives but not many tbh. I'm just frustrated that nothing is being done to turn things around at Croke park or co board level. I take my hat off to the players that give up so much and come back every year they really deserve huge credit. I just feel that even though it's so early in the year we are looking at another bleak year. You have to admit the facts are there in the last paragraph of my previous post, I'd love to be optimistic but it's very hard to be.
Offaly are in a bad state too but they have put the plans and structures in place to turn it around, I just feel we are not doing enough and until we do nothing will change.
The powers that be in HQ have a lot to answer for in terms of the state of hurling throughout the country. The year for teams like laois are inevitable really before they start. I think the provincial championships need to be scraped and have a 8 team Liam McCarthy cup that starts much earlier in the year and accommodates the club championships in each county. We are not so bad in Laois but club players in top tier counties suffer every year. I would put laois offaly Kerry westmeath etc into an 8 team Christy ring cup that is played before the all Ireland final every year. In this case every team could potentially see themselves playing in croke park on all Ireland final day with the winners being promoted to the Liam McCarthy the following year and one team being relegated. These teams are not good enough to play in the top 8 division. This would generate much more interest in hurling, avoid the big beatings and have competitive competition every year. It would also give the second tier counties some light at the end of a long depressing tunnel! Minor finals could be played with the 21 final. Again apologies for the pessimism.

Don Draper

Quote from: Tobias on January 13, 2017, 02:22:51 PM

There are some positives but not many tbh. I'm just frustrated that nothing is being done to turn things around at Croke park or co board level. I take my hat off to the players that give up so much and come back every year they really deserve huge credit. I just feel that even though it's so early in the year we are looking at another bleak year. You have to admit the facts are there in the last paragraph of my previous post, I'd love to be optimistic but it's very hard to be.
Offaly are in a bad state too but they have put the plans and structures in place to turn it around, I just feel we are not doing enough and until we do nothing will change.
The powers that be in HQ have a lot to answer for in terms of the state of hurling throughout the country. The year for teams like laois are inevitable really before they start. I think the provincial championships need to be scraped and have a 8 team Liam McCarthy cup that starts much earlier in the year and accommodates the club championships in each county. We are not so bad in Laois but club players in top tier counties suffer every year. I would put laois offaly Kerry westmeath etc into an 8 team Christy ring cup that is played before the all Ireland final every year. In this case every team could potentially see themselves playing in croke park on all Ireland final day with the winners being promoted to the Liam McCarthy the following year and one team being relegated. These teams are not good enough to play in the top 8 division. This would generate much more interest in hurling, avoid the big beatings and have competitive competition every year. It would also give the second tier counties some light at the end of a long depressing tunnel! Minor finals could be played with the 21 final. Again apologies for the pessimism.
I've said it many times on here, Croke Park will not help us. We have asked them to for some 20 years, and they haven't. We asked them when we had our own man, a hurling man in there, and they didn't. We need to give up asking Croke Park. We need to source the money internally, and use the skills internally, or buy them in from outside. But the help will not come from Croke Park. We must accept this.

hurlingmad

Quote from: Don Draper on January 13, 2017, 02:52:29 PM
Quote from: Tobias on January 13, 2017, 02:22:51 PM

I've said it many times on here, Croke Park will not help us. We have asked them to for some 20 years, and they haven't. We asked them when we had our own man, a hurling man in there, and they didn't. We need to give up asking Croke Park. We need to source the money internally, and use the skills internally, or buy them in from outside. But the help will not come from Croke Park. We must accept this.

I agree with both your arguements, every year is the same and every now and then we run a team close like galway in leinster,offaly, and clare in the league quarter final in recent years but we havent seemed to have built on that and its not the effort of the players, its the development or lack of and plus on the grand scale of things compared to the top counties we have a tiny pool to choose from, our top tier club hurling now has 8 teams and the senior a is only a paper over the cracks, tipperary, cork or kilkenny on any given match day programme will have a pick of players from at least 13-16 clubs which makes for a headache in terms of selecting a panel as regards to the few we have that make the final cut, often 5-6 guys from the one club, we are just an unfortunate county in terms of playing population on top of having a very football focused county board

Ballyroan Abbey

If some people here got there way there wouldnt even be 13-16 teams to choose, and before people scoff at the moment there are 24 seperate clubs participating in adult hurling in laois, on these fourms in the last year or so ive heard people want kyle to be absolved by borris/kilcotton, ballypickas by abbeyleix/ballinakill trumera by mountrath, colt clonad and shanahoe to amalgamate, same with castletown and slieve bloom timahoe slieve margy, graiguecullen and mountmellick are major football areas so the likelyhood of gaining a counth player from these areas is low, all that leaves you with a pick of around 14 clubs