Clare vs Down Sat June 25th, Ennis

Started by PAULD123, June 20, 2011, 07:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Well lads what do we feel about this? I don't think it is being arrogant to say that we would epect a Down victory, the bookies and even the Clare manager wre pretty sure of that already. But if our midfield are outclassed again then surely we can expect pressure and it may not be a walk in the park.

Being realistic though and honest then you have to say we should win. But what can we get out of this game? Will we learn anything about our team, will McCartan be able to use it effectively to create a good perfromance to build on?

What do people expect teh line up to be? The forward line is pretty set except for the long-shot of Mooney playing. But who will line up in defence and in what positions?

whitegoodman

Wouldnt say that the forward line is set if Mcginn and Murtagh are out and coulter doubtful.  Coulter is likely to start but what impact will he have if he isnt fit.  Undoubtably when he is fit he is very hard to handle but we seen against armagh that he struggled when not at 100%. Very hard to predict a starting team with so many players doubtful.

IMO if Mooney comes on it is a big mistake.  How can a lad no matter how talented he is play senior intercounty football without starting a senior match at club level. For me it would smack of desperation on the managements part.

Down should win and are expected to win and anything less than a win would be a massive underachievement for the year.  Because of the lack of real quality teams around if Down can slip through the first few rounds of the qualifiers  and with a bit of luck with the draw and with injuries they have the capabilities of making the quarter finals  and who knows after that.

artisan2010

The game should be used to try a few options in the middle and at the back.
King is a grafter but he needs somebody beside him to share the load. Was introducing McArdle a sign of desperation the last day. Put Gordon in at least for a period of the game and see how the two gel. Is Liam Doyle fit, if so give him plenty of game time and move McKernan.
No point bringing Mooney onto the panel if he is never going to be used this is the ideal game to see how he goes.

whitegoodman

The trying out of players in the defence and midfield may be a necessity due to injuries.

Agree that the mcardle substitution was an act of desperation.  I wouldnt like to see Gordon taken out of FB, disrupts the full back line and messes with his head.  U dont see Justy McMahon moved out of full back.

I would also be distressed to see Liam Doyle and Kevin McKernan in the same half back line, 2 great footballers but 2 average defenders.

Jan and Feb are the ideal times to trying Mooney out, not championship time in June

No1

Anyone know which Down men are definitely out injured for Saturday?

whitegoodman

Out - Garvey, Murtagh, Rafferty, G McCartan

Doubtful - Coulter, McGinn, McArdle, McKernan, Ambrose

NP 76

Just a quick point i think there is 4 toll stations on the road to Ennis 3 which have to be paid at the booth and then the m50 one

thewobbler

I'd think that if there's ever a game to give Caolonn Mooney a run out, then this is it. Even if he's a passenger, we should win.

I wouldn't worry about him terms of athleticism and core strength. He'll be quicker 30 yards than anyone bar the most exceptional athletes even at this level, and the only way we'll find out if he can take a hit is to give him a chance.

I'd be more worried about Down fan's expectations. Any time I've seen Mooney play, he goes missing for long periods at a time. You'll not find him chasing every ball down. But then for 5 minutes the ball will seemingly find a way to him every 10 seconds, and he'll bang in 2-2.

Down didn't have that kind of player vs Armagh. It could be an interesting season if we unearth one.

NP 76

Mooney well fit for it . I think he would be a great outlet for the ball to be kicked into space because no one will catch him and when he gets it he is very direct goes straight for the posts something we have been lacking . This is a good chance to let him get some time on the pitch  . As you say wobbler he does drift in and out of games but when he drifts in he does damage

PAULD123

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 20, 2011, 09:39:01 PM
Out - Garvey, Murtagh, Rafferty, G McCartan

Doubtful - Coulter, McGinn, McArdle, McKernan, Ambrose

Could you fill us in on what is the actual injury each player has and how long they are expected to be out for? We know Ambrose is close but anything up to a2 months off a full start, Benny is carrying a tight hamstring and McGinn also has a minor hamstring injury (up to a few weeks fro full recovery) but what about teh others? I guessing you at least know the Burren injury situation.

whitegoodman

Garvey - Hamstring
Murtagh - Ankle
Rafferty - Quad/ Hip
McCartan - Ankle

No idea how long each are out for

Coulter - Hamstring
McGinn - Hamstring
McArdle - Hamstring
Mckernan - Hamstring
Ambrose - Knee

At a guess i would say Coulter, McGinn and Mckernan will all start but that is just surmising

Brick Tamlin

White, im shy a few quid, lotto numbers please? ;)

whitegoodman

redandblackareback

With that injury list, could last seasons extended run and the over reliance on the same players in the national league be catching up with us now?? Outside our STRONGEST 15... I d be concerned!!

Leo

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 21, 2011, 09:03:57 AM

Coulter - Hamstring
McGinn - Hamstring
McArdle - Hamstring
Mckernan - Hamstring

Ambrose - Knee

At a guess i would say Coulter, McGinn and Mckernan will all start but that is just surmising

Is there something wrong wth our training?
Bearing in mind our fade-out in the last quarter in so many games  - way back to last year - the question has to be asked.
Fierce tame altogether