GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plastic Paddy

Quote from: damomurphy on May 29, 2010, 11:38:50 PM
Thanks hall green sounds a bit far for me. i have been to emerald club in wolverhampton before and its good but will be in birimingham city centre tomorrow so was thinking of watching the game there if i could. anywhere in the city worth going to?

Do you play yourself?

damomurphy

ended up going to the 'irish centre' in digbeth! wish i had taken your advice! twas no more irish! went in and they had england v japan on the big screen! then at 4 they put GAA on. end of donegal game followed by Cork game. no volume from rte just Britains got talent in the background! at the same time there was a boxing tournament on next door! so there was boxers and entourage going in and out during the first half! very distracting and frightening!! the signal wasnt great at all and every so often it would just freeze. ended up missing aisakes goal over it!! anyway next time i will either be watching the game in thurles or failing that- hall green!! yeah i played hurling and football at home but havent played since moved over here. havent any car so its hard and am living in stafford so not too close to any team..

Plastic Paddy

Quote from: damomurphy on June 02, 2010, 08:22:28 AM
ended up going to the 'irish centre' in digbeth! wish i had taken your advice! twas no more irish! went in and they had england v japan on the big screen! then at 4 they put GAA on. end of donegal game followed by Cork game. no volume from rte just Britains got talent in the background! at the same time there was a boxing tournament on next door! so there was boxers and entourage going in and out during the first half! very distracting and frightening!! the signal wasnt great at all and every so often it would just freeze. ended up missing aisakes goal over it!! anyway next time i will either be watching the game in thurles or failing that- hall green!! yeah i played hurling and football at home but havent played since moved over here. havent any car so its hard and am living in stafford so not too close to any team..

We have lads in Wolverhampton so we could probaly arrange something. E mail me on mitchelshurlers@blueyonder.co.uk and we can chat.

inisceithleann

Great win for St. Peter's this evening, beating John Mitchel's Liverpool 2-08 to 0-08 in the Lancashire Senior League.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

southdown

Can you five us a report on the game please inisceithleann?  Good win alright, will make for an ineteresting championship.

inisceithleann

Quote from: southdown on June 04, 2010, 08:21:55 AM
Can you five us a report on the game please inisceithleann?  Good win alright, will make for an ineteresting championship.

I'll post a link to our club website once the match report has been written up.

southdown

inisceithleann

Quote from: southdown on June 04, 2010, 11:25:12 AM
Lazy ba$tard ;)

Lancashire Senior League – Thursday 3rd June

Result
St. Peter's 2-08 John Mitchels 0-08

St. Peter's Senior Team continued their unbeaten run this season with a 6 point win over current holders and County Champions John Mitchels from Liverpool. Played under glorious sunshine with a slight breeze going down the pitch at Hough End, both teams showed a lot of hunger and determination and this is exactly what management from both sides would want to see with the Championship just around the corner.

Both teams exchanged early points from frees before St. Peter's opened up a three point lead during a strong 10 minute spell midway through the half. St. Peter's lost midfielder and captain Ronan Gallagher to a shoulder injury early in the game and this prompted a reshuffle by Sean Hopkins. Stewart Cherry moved from half forward into midfield alongside Eoghan Vahey with Aidan Farry slotting in on the full forward line. Micheál McKenna enjoyed the space made available around the half forward line and the no. 11 contributed some fine points from play and from the dead ball. John Mitchels for their part worked hard against the breeze and have their midfield and half backs to thank for some dogged work particularly around the breaking ball. Both corner forwards for the Liverpool men were lively and the no. 13 pointed confidently from an acute angle to keep the minimum between the sides. The move of the half came when John O'Neill pointed after some great break out work from defence by Ruairi Wedel and Sean McGeehan along the left wing. Paul Jones followed this up with a great solo effort after exchanging passes with Paddy O'Brien. A goal chance may have been on but the Longford man took the sensible option and fisted over the bar. St. Peter's went in at half time 3 points to the good.

The second half though full of commitment by both sides was a stop start affair with persistant fouling occurring on both sides. The midfield battle was still a 50 50 affair though Eoghan Vahey managed to point off his left after meandering through the John Mitchels defence. Joe Sheehan in the St. Peter's goal was confident under the high ball and his distribution from hand was good. Midway through the half, the visitors managed to cut the lead to two points after an excellent score from their centre half who pointed off his left from distance. Sean Hopkins was forced to make another change with the withdrawl of Paul Jones due to an apparent hamstring injury. As the game approached the final 10 minutes, St. Peter's managed to step it up another gear and Micheál McKenna was on the end of some slick handpassing between Stewart Cherry, Paddy O'Brien and Stephen Lavery. The latter made a great one-two with McKenna and the Armagh man dispatched the ball to the net. Five minutes later he repeated this again with another interchange of passes with corner Lavery who showed up well in the second half. The finish on this occasion was across the keeper and low to the corner. John Mitchels for their part kept plugging away and pointed twice in succession to bring the score back to a six point game. This is how it ended and St. Peter's drew first blood in what is the first of three meetings between the sides over the next 3 weeks.

http://stpetersgaa.intheteam.com

BennyHarp

Anyone know the result of the London v lancs game from the weekend?
That was never a square ball!!

the colonel

London won by 2 points in a very close game
the difference between success and failure is energy

southdown

Colonel, where you at the game?  was it any good?

the colonel

No i just heard from one of the selectors
the difference between success and failure is energy

Plastic Paddy

Quote from: southdown on June 08, 2010, 08:42:16 AM
Colonel, where you at the game?  was it any good?

I was at the game and London started very well while Lancashire were very poor in the first 20/25 mins losing 8 points to no score but woke up to score 4 unanswered points before half time. The 2nd half was more even with Lancs not quite having enough to win.

BennyHarp

Yorkshire beat Warwickshire today in the junior all Britain championship, 2-10 to 0-13. Yorkshire were 9 up at one stage and Warwickshire came back well in last 10 mins. I think both London and Scotland won so that leaves Yorkshire, London and Scotland in semi final and Herts, Glous, Lancs and Warwicks in the backdoor.
That was never a square ball!!

supersarsfields

Mitchells through to the Jr Final last night after beating Brendans. Mitchells went well ahead in the first half but were then pegged back in the second and were lucky enough to get away with the win.