GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on February 13, 2015, 06:09:57 PM
Good luck to John Mitchels, Fullen Gaels and Kilburn this weekend.  All have great chances to win. I have a few friends at Mitchels so it would be extra special if they could win. Apparently a hotel can't be got this weekend in Dublin due to the matches in Croke, yer on rugby game and wherever else.

+1 I've always found Mitchells to be a class act both on and off the pitch whenever I've had the pleasure to play against them. Best of luck to them and the other British clubs, it's an inspiration to see what can be achieved by clubs over here.
That was never a square ball!!

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 13, 2015, 07:57:08 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on February 13, 2015, 06:09:57 PM
Good luck to John Mitchels, Fullen Gaels and Kilburn this weekend.  All have great chances to win. I have a few friends at Mitchels so it would be extra special if they could win. Apparently a hotel can't be got this weekend in Dublin due to the matches in Croke, yer on rugby game and wherever else.

+1 I've always found Mitchells to be a class act both on and off the pitch whenever I've had the pleasure to play against them. Best of luck to them and the other British clubs, it's an inspiration to see what can be achieved by clubs over here.

Yip 100% benny

theticklemister

Question: Who was the first Derry man to play in Croke Park this year? Answer: Martin Carey from Greenlough.
Hopefully he won't be the last. 'Marty' as he is affectionately known as by all in Liverpool, togged out at wing back for Liverpool John Mitchels in the All-Ireland Junior Final where they were beaten by Kerry outfit Brosna on a scoreline of 8 points to 5. "It was a great feeling (to get to Croke Park) ...you know when you're heading to Croker its a meaningful occasion. To be honest though, the vision of getting to Croke had more impetus in the build up to the semi-final. Like all semis, there is so much to lose; when you win an All-Ireland semi you know you're at the final hurdle and can relax to a certain degree and just give it everything you have."
This was John Mitchel's second visit to headquarters to contest an All-Ireland Junior Final when in 2009 they were defeated. A few players still were part of the squad this time around and wanted to reverse the result; maybe trying hard was a reason as Carey states. "Although we were relaxed and quietly confident in our ability as a team to produce a winning performance; unfortunately the performance didn't happen. I don't think it was a case of nerves or the occasion getting the better of us...more the longer we went without scoring the more we tried to force things to happen; having a slow start was unknown territory for us this year...in previous games we've got out of the blocks quick." John Mitchels just never got going in the final and were playing catch-up for the whole game. Throughout the Lancashire, British and All-Ireland campaign they have racked up big scores but this wasn't the case in the final. Marty revealed his disappointment, "It's a raw topic and been a horrible week...no one likes to lose but there's no worse feeling than having lost after not having performed. It's easy said, but I think our performances throughout the season proves that we massively under performed."

Martin Carey in the All-Ireland minor semi-final 2002.
John Mitchel's championship campaign began in May of 2014 where they contested the group phase with Oisins (Manchester) and St.Peters (Manchester). They won the group and went onto beat Oisins again in a close-run final. Their opening British Championship match was to be their hardest of the campaign where they edged out Dunedin Connollys (Edinburgh, Scotland). They then went onto to defeat Sean McDermotts (Birmingham, Warickshire) and North London Shamrocks (London). The All-Ireland quarters beckoned where they outclassed Oileain Arainn (Galway, Connacht) in Birmingham and then Westmeath and Leinster champions Moate. Brosna brought to a halt John Mitchel's run of 9 consecutive championship wins.

Martin Carey leads out Greenlough.
Carey began playing with John Mitchels since 2009, the year Mitchels first appeared in the All Ireland final. He says "I initially started off training with them when I was over doing my PGCE but playing at home. I signed over for the 2010 season...amidst a dream to win an All Ireland, having listened to the stories from the lads that where there in 2009. Being part of the club really helped me settle in Liverpool! We reached the All Britain final that year". Marty continued to play throughout the years but in 2013 he went to play ball in New York and returned to Greenlough, in the same year John Mitchels again tasted All-Britain success which made Carey 'envious'. He was on his travels again in 2014 to Asia and Australia but his heart was longing to be in Liverpool and when he found out that the boys at John Mitchels wanted him back on board half-way through the season, he rose to the challenge and in his own words 'he gave himself a 8 game season cumulating with an All Ireland Final'. These words rang true.

Marty with his father as he lifts the All-Britain club championship.
Marty Carey is a proud Greenlough man who represented them throughout the underage and senior ranks; his athleticism and composure on the ball brought him to the attention of Chris Brown. He was called into the successful winning All-Ireland Minor squad of 2002 where he played an important role in achieving the Tom Markham Cup. Marty continued his prominent role with his club when he captained 'the lough' to the county Intermediate Championship in 2008. They were within a point of Ulster Championship success when Trillick beat them in the final.
Carey recalls "The lough will always be close to the heart and I'll never say never, but for now Mitchels makes me feel at home and I can't see beyond that." Next game up for the Mitchels is 7 days away in a pre-season Lancashire cup game where their reserves take on the other team based in Liverpool, the Wolfe Tones. From Croke Park to Greenbank, it doesn't matter where; Marty will give it 100%.
GAA clubs in Lancashire

Wolfe Tone's, John Mitchel's (all Liverpool); St.Pat's (Chester); Ellan Vallin Gaels (Isle of Man); St.Brendan's, Fullen Gaels, Oisin's, St.Peter's, St.Mary's, St.Anne's and St.Lawrence's* (all Manchester)
*Steelstown man James Wray is current chairman and senior coach

carnaross

Are St. Anne's still going, haven't heard anything about for a few years now?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

laceer

They folded about 3 years ago but have heard rumours they're starting back up again

carnaross

It appears that the Pennine League has finally been sorted out. Stays as two divisions as last year. Only one leg rather than home and away being played and, also, no final. Whoever finishes top of their league wins the cup. Also Wolfe Tones up to Div. 1 at the expense of Oisins, I believe. Games due to start on April 26.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

theticklemister

Quote from: carnaross on March 08, 2015, 10:25:13 AM
It appears that the Pennine League has finally been sorted out. Stays as two divisions as last year. Only one leg rather than home and away being played and, also, no final. Whoever finishes top of their league wins the cup. Also Wolfe Tones up to Div. 1 at the expense of Oisins, I believe. Games due to start on April 26.

YIP. thats  what i heard too.

carnaross

All sorted with 1st games this weekend.
Div. 1 games: St. Brendan's v Wolfe Tones, Cu Chulainns v John Mitchel's (rescheduled to May 10, I'm told) and St. Benedicts Harps v St. Peter's.
Div. 2 games: Oisins v Bros. Pearse, John F. Kennedy's v St. Lawrence's and Hugh O'Neill's v St. Mary's.

Predictions?

theticklemister

Tones first proper outing and will find it extremely difficult. Brendan's have been out twice in the senior league 1 so should win with a bit to spare.

Mitchels first training session was held this week after a long well deserved break. Cu chulains always start slowly.

Harps have got it tough against o Neills I believe which does not bode well but I had yet to see Perers this year.

Oisins have too much class for this division but got relegated last year so take their oil. Will cost this division with eyes closed. Feel sorry for brothers pearse and jfks of this world playing against them

Lawrences had a crap result last week although missing a few boys but shd be jfks. Hugh o neills shd tank St. Mary's.

theticklemister

St Benedict's Harps 2-09 St Peter's 1-09; Oisin 9-16 Bros. Pearse 0-02; St Brendan's 4-16 Wolfe Tones 2-06. St. Lawrences 4-16 v 2-06 JFK

theticklemister

well Benny, no problems today against St.peters? heard they were poor but.

Carnross, was the victory well-deserved for ye?

As said earlier, Oisins in this division is unfair to other teams, but they were relegated so hard lines. Is it true that Yorkshire were against the 3-tier league which would have classified teams much better? I can't help but feel for Brothers Pearse, St.Marys and JFKs. How is this promoting the GAA in the Pennines?

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on April 26, 2015, 10:08:07 PM
well Benny, no problems today against St.peters? heard they were poor but.

Carnross, was the victory well-deserved for ye?

As said earlier, Oisins in this division is unfair to other teams, but they were relegated so hard lines. Is it true that Yorkshire were against the 3-tier league which would have classified teams much better? I can't help but feel for Brothers Pearse, St.Marys and JFKs. How is this promoting the GAA in Lancashire?

Good win today but I must say that was the worst Peters team I've seen in my time in England, they must have been short a lot of players. They got a late goal which flattered them a bit on the scoreboard.

God knows what Yorkshire wanted in the meetings about the pennine league, though I think div 3 would have been O'Neills, Bros Pearse, JFK and St Mary's. This is basically the Yorkshire junior league the one lancs club that most likely won't turn up (as proved today). Th0e two competitions would be played alongside each other so I think those clubs wanted some form of fresh challenge. I'd still maintain that every team should know now what's happening for next season so they know what the consequences are for next year. Coming up with a new format in January every year does nobody any good. Like you said, Oisins should have got their act together last year as they knew the score. I know Benedicts would have been disappointed to be put in a proposed div 2 after fighting hard to stay up, today's result suggest that they deserved to at least stay in that division. Those team you mention still play each other and get the reasonable challenge, it just so happens that they also have to play Oisins too.

Fuzzman

A few of us were chatting recently about fellow ex pat Tyrone fans who would come back to Ireland for the weekend to maybe catch a match.
With Tyrone in the qualifiers on Saturday nights (hopefully more than one) we were wondering could we social network and arrange to meet up especially for away games and maybe book accommodation and pints etc.

If you are interested can you pm me or know others abroad who might be interested let me know their details.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 11, 2015, 09:10:31 AM
A few of us were chatting recently about fellow ex pat Tyrone fans who would come back to Ireland for the weekend to maybe catch a match.
With Tyrone in the qualifiers on Saturday nights (hopefully more than one) we were wondering could we social network and arrange to meet up especially for away games and maybe book accommodation and pints etc.

If you are interested can you pm me or know others abroad who might be interested let me know their details.

I'd be back for a fair few games when I can. Used to always arrange to get to the Kerry away game in the National League which was always great craic. This summer is proving a bit more difficult with a small kid but hopefully will make one or two games as the qualifiers progress. (If we are still involved)

Fuzzman

Good man Benny. Might set up a wee group on Facebook or something as part of our Tyrone Association Dublin group to be a contact point for people who want to meet up at games. I would love a spin over to Ruislip for a weekend as have never been to that ground but doubt if they'll beat Cavan.

Anyone interested join us on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/329662576095/