GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Pennine League result tonight at Hough End. St Peters 0-12 St Benedicts 2-6. Finally up and running.
That was never a square ball!!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 21, 2014, 10:37:56 PM
Pennine League result tonight at Hough End. St Peters 0-12 St Benedicts 2-6. Finally up and running.

A very good comeback, think you were 8 points behind early in the second half. It was great fisted goal from your midfielder near the end. Peters were very clinical in that first half, thought you missed the easier chances and should really have won.

Its not easy to bring a team across the 62 on a weeknight, especially a competitive one.

theticklemister

I love the mid week games! It lets you look forward to something when in work!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 22, 2014, 11:34:58 AM

A very good comeback, think you were 8 points behind early in the second half. It was great fisted goal from your midfielder near the end. Peters were very clinical in that first half, thought you missed the easier chances and should really have won.

Its not easy to bring a team across the 62 on a weeknight, especially a competitive one.

The good weather helps.  :) I think we are starting to get to the pace of these Div 1 games now. With all due respect to the teams in Yorkshire (bar Cuchullainns) the games against the Lancashire teams are a much higher standard and it's taken a few games for our lads to adjust to the pace as it's not the standard we are used to playing at. We have been competitive in our games so far without really threatening. Hopefully the penny is beginning to drop and it's not too late to avoid relegation as that would be a bit of a disaster for us as we need these sort of games in order to improve. Though to be fair St Peters were most likely missing a load of players last night and were probably at 3 quarter pace with their championship on Sunday. We actually play them again next Wednesday in Leeds.

southdown

If Lancs could get their best 15 on the field (major if), what would it be?  I have lost touch with the whole scene over the last years but curious to see.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 22, 2014, 04:41:00 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 22, 2014, 11:34:58 AM

The good weather helps.  :) I think we are starting to get to the pace of these Div 1 games now. With all due respect to the teams in Yorkshire (bar Cuchullainns) the games against the Lancashire teams are a much higher standard and it's taken a few games for our lads to adjust to the pace as it's not the standard we are used to playing at. We have been competitive in our games so far without really threatening. Hopefully the penny is beginning to drop and it's not too late to avoid relegation as that would be a bit of a disaster for us as we need these sort of games in order to improve. Though to be fair St Peters were most likely missing a load of players last night and were probably at 3 quarter pace with their championship on Sunday. We actually play them again next Wednesday in Leeds.

I'm sure you weren't anywhere near full strength either, especially on a Wednesday and having to travel to Manchester. Peters looked like they were missing 3 of their better players. I've never seen so many competitive games around this time of year, of all the games so far they've been relatively close apart from the odd result.

Oisins play Peters at Turn Moss on Sunday in the championship, should be a competitive game.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: southdown on May 22, 2014, 04:47:24 PM
If Lancs could get their best 15 on the field (major if), what would it be?  I have lost touch with the whole scene over the last years but curious to see.

That would be very difficult. I do think Lancashire have as good a pick of players as they've ever had, comfortably enough players to have 2 teams that would compete at that level.

For various reasons I don't think they will have anywhere near their best team for the upcoming games, its a shame as they'd stand a great chance of going further this year.

BennyHarp

All Britain Junior Championship result: Yorkshire 2-21 Lancashire 4-10 and as far as I know London and Hertfordshire didn't field today. That leaves Yorks v Scotland and Glous v Warwickshire in the front door and Lancs v Herts and London v Kilkenny in the back door next weekend.

Zulu

What's the story with Lancs this year? They shouldn't have been beaten by Yorkshire and Kilkenny.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Zulu on June 15, 2014, 04:25:26 PM
What's the story with Lancs this year? They shouldn't have been beaten by Yorkshire and Kilkenny.

The team was very under strength against Yorkshire, very few of the top players playing. It was stronger on Saturday but still a million miles away from what would be the best 15 in the country. That team should have had enough to beat Kilkenny but had a bad start and conceded too many very soft goals. After winning the last 4 there was very little appetite for it this year which is a shame as football is stronger in the county than it has been in the previous 4 years.

theticklemister

You at the game? How was the program?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: theticklemister on June 16, 2014, 10:41:21 AM
You at the game? How was the program?

I was at the game, didn't see any programme though.

The team on paper was still a decent one and had enough to beat Kilkenny, just one of those days where too many of our players were below par. Too many of the good players didn't make themselves available for selection for various reasons so there's not a lot you can do about it although there a few things I'd do differently to improve our chances. Talent was there this year to go further than before.

theticklemister

Yer joking? I did a program for the game, it better have been handed out!!! took me ages lol.

southdown

What was the Lancs starting 15?

theticklemister

Quote from: southdown on June 17, 2014, 08:19:31 AM
What was the Lancs starting 15?

Apparently it changed a lot from the starting 15 in program. So not 100% sure.