Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on January 17, 2017, 03:57:44 PM
Some closet Brits here it seems. :o

A strange comment. Would you mind elaborating?

whitey

Obama told the Brits they'd be at the back of the line in terms of a trade deal.

Trump will put them at the front of the line

Trumps victory dramatically changes the potential fallout from Brexit

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: whitey on January 17, 2017, 04:37:36 PM
Obama told the Brits they'd be at the back of the line in terms of a trade deal.

LOL. Lies. He didnt say that at all. He was asked by Gove "So we are at front of queue then?" and he replied "You are doing good". Very telling that he didn't say yes.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 17, 2017, 03:24:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 17, 2017, 03:19:20 PM
Peter Grant, the SNP MP and a member of the Commons select committee for exiting the European Union, has signalled that the SNP will push for another vote. Speaking in the House of Commons he warned David Davis that government plans for the UK tol leave the single market leaves Scotland with no choice but to seek independence
If the prime minister leaves Scotland with only one option to remain in the EU, Scotland will take it
He reminds MPs that 62 per cent of Scots voted to remain part of the EU in the referendum last year.

Scotland had their chance to be independent but didn't take it. They are a region of the UK. They need to suck it up. Most nations had to fight for their freedom. They were offered it via a vote and they bottled it....no sympathy for them.

Bang on here

whitey

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 17, 2017, 04:49:39 PM

LOL. Lies. He didnt say that at all. He was asked by Gove "So we are at front of queue then?" and he replied "You are doing good". Very telling that he didn't say yes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/brexiteers-cheer-on-donald-trump-for-promising-quick-trade-deal-with-the-uk/2017/01/16/0703100a-dbf4-11e6-8902-610fe486791c_story.html

In a wide-ranging interview with the Times of London, Trump praised Britain's decision to leave the European Union and said that the United States would "very quickly" draw up a trade deal with the United Kingdom once it leaves the bloc.

"I'm a big fan of the U.K., we're going to work very hard to get it done quickly and done properly," Trump said in an interview with Michael Gove, a Conservative politician and prominent Brexiteer. Gove is also a columnist for the newspaper.

Believe whatever you want

(I don't think "front of the queue " is a legally binding term....it just means that they will expedite it)

Keyser soze

Are you saying Trump's victory will have a positive effect on UK trade with America, please explain how.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: whitey on January 17, 2017, 04:54:39 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/brexiteers-cheer-on-donald-trump-for-promising-quick-trade-deal-with-the-uk/2017/01/16/0703100a-dbf4-11e6-8902-610fe486791c_story.html

In a wide-ranging interview with the Times of London, Trump praised Britain's decision to leave the European Union and said that the United States would "very quickly" draw up a trade deal with the United Kingdom once it leaves the bloc.

"I'm a big fan of the U.K., we're going to work very hard to get it done quickly and done properly," Trump said in an interview with Michael Gove, a Conservative politician and prominent Brexiteer. Gove is also a columnist for the newspaper.

(I don't think "front of the queue " is a legally binding term....it just means that they will expedite it)

I think you are cherry picking here. Of course they will do a deal with Britain but it will be based on economic realities not on special relationships or any other "my granny was from Scotland" stuff. There is no indication anywhere that the deal will get priority over existing deals with Europe.

seafoid

Yeah. Trump will pay off the deficit
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Denn Forever

Let's wait.  He isn't president yet.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

whitey

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 17, 2017, 05:04:23 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 17, 2017, 04:54:39 PM

I think you are cherry picking here. Of course they will do a deal with Britain but it will be based on economic realities not on special relationships or any other "my granny was from Scotland" stuff. There is no indication anywhere that the deal will get priority over existing deals with Europe.

I'm not an expert in how intl trade deals are negotiated, but all of the Pro Brexit people I have seen interviewed seem very happy with Trumps comments.  If nothing else it strengthens Teresa Mays hand in the exit negotiations

armaghniac

Quote from: whitey on January 17, 2017, 07:11:13 PM
I'm not an expert in how intl trade deals are negotiated, but all of the Pro Brexit people I have seen interviewed seem very happy with Trumps comments.  If nothing else it strengthens Teresa Mays hand in the exit negotiations

Trump's comments are probably helpful in the short term. The problem is that they are as far from the established sane view in the US as Brexit is. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

No wides

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 17, 2017, 04:19:36 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 17, 2017, 03:57:44 PM
Some closet Brits here it seems. :o

A strange comment. Would you mind elaborating?

I doubt he will.  For someone who knows very little about the north he is quick at telling us how to vote yet doesn't grasp that what the UK governnent does affects us. Strange lad.

omaghjoe

Quote from: bennydorano on January 17, 2017, 01:50:35 PM
Sterling currently up 1.5% on the € since May's announcement:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/default.stm

Markets want clarity as much as anything else by the looks of it.

The speech is just an ever deep intrusion into the unknown jungle

The jump in stg was down to her saying that she would put any deal to a vote in parliment

Rossfan

I know a lot more about the North than No wides/Foxcommander know about Ballaghaderreen anyway.
Someone has to tell ye how to work the  PR system.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM