Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Club boi on December 02, 2016, 10:22:21 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 02, 2016, 10:12:10 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on December 02, 2016, 10:07:44 PM
cavanagh won an all star in full forward in 08'. i remember mattie donnelly playin full forward in a league game against mayo few years ago and i think he scored 4 or 5 points from play. he was outstanding. he was moved to centre half back 2 games later but there ya go.

Mattie Donnelly has won two all stars at midfield, why move him out of there on the basis of a league game?

Cavanagh has played at the edge of the square for two years, he ends up dropping out the pitch as he gets frustrated at not being able to influence the game in there as it passes him by. He came out the field and won us the Ulster final against Donegal this year. They're both key men and they're both much more important to us out the pitch. Whoever plays that role must be a natural at it, the only one I think we have in that mould is Niall McKenna, he has the size and mobility and it's his best position.

I don't know what I have missed or what some of you have seen but I can't remember Mc Kenna ever being outstanding at Full Forward

I never said he was outstanding but we're not blessed with outstanding natural full forwards who can act as focal point. I think McKenna deserves a run if we are going to go with a big man inside.

southtyronegael

there is a video on youtube i think of niall mc kenna playin full forward for donaghmore in this years league and i would deffo use the word outstanding. scored about 1-4 and couldnt be marked. albeit div 2 league. look it up

southtyronegael

only after watchin the video again. really impressive. it was against cookstown.

BennyHarp

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 02, 2016, 10:53:46 PM
only after watchin the video again. really impressive. it was against cookstown.

I'm sure if Tyrone play Cookstown, Mickey will give him a shout!
That was never a square ball!!

southtyronegael

ha ha. funny if it wasnt such a shame the lad cant get a game for tyrone just cause mickey doesnt like his family

redhandofgod

McKenna is always injured, he's made of glass

redzone

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 02, 2016, 10:59:16 PM
ha ha. funny if it wasnt such a shame the lad cant get a game for tyrone just cause mickey doesnt like his family
Quit making shit up u knob. If anything Harte has been to good to him keeping him  on the squad the amount he's been injured.

Redhand Santa

It is hard to tell on here sometimes if people are ignorant or on the wind up. I hope in this case it's someone on the wind up.

Harte has had McKenna on the panel for around 6 years and he has played plenty of times without ever showing enough to nail down a place. In 2014 he started the first round of Ulster at full forward v down without scoring. I think he came on in the replay and got a point. I'm nearly sure he started full forward v Armagh in the championship that year, don't think he scored much.

Come 2015 he had played good bit in McKenna cup in full forward line and started first game of league before injury. He has struggled with injury since which is the reason he hasn't played nothing to do with a dislike of his family (as much as you'd like that to be the reason).

McKenna is a good player but has yet to really bring underage or club form to the county in either league or championship. I'd really like to see the lad get fit and get another go at it though, cause he has plenty of football ability. Hopefully he gets a few good months training behind him and proves to be a real option for full forward line next year.

an léirmheastóir

All this talk about Mc Kenna. The question is who is the best full forward in Tyrone club football?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: an léirmheastóir on December 03, 2016, 11:57:18 AM
All this talk about Mc Kenna. The question is who is the best full forward in Tyrone club football?

Lot of teams play a two man full forward line these days so the question is probably who is the most effective in the full forward line. In that case on the current year probably mark Bradley by a distance. McNulty from Clonoe got a few goals and was decent at the frees but struggled against hanpsey over two games and pace at county level could be an issue.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 03, 2016, 12:34:52 PM
Quote from: an léirmheastóir on December 03, 2016, 11:57:18 AM

Lot of teams play a two man full forward line these days so the question is probably who is the most effective in the full forward line. In that case on the current year probably mark Bradley by a distance. McNulty from Clonoe got a few goals and was decent at the frees but struggled against hanpsey over two games and pace at county level could be an issue.
I personally think Dan McNulty has more about him than Niall McKenna and im dissapointed he didnt get a call up to the senior panel.
McKenna has seen plenty of opportunities over the years, i feel he never looked good enough in those opportunities.
In terms of the players called up, only McCullagh, McHugh and possibly McClure represent options in the full forward line. That suggests to me Harte intends to continue with the quick counter attack transition football and not moving towards more men in the full forward line and kicking the ball in.

rrhf

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 03, 2016, 11:25:42 AM

It is hard to tell on here sometimes if people are ignorant or on the wind up. I hope in this case it's someone on the wind up.

Harte has had McKenna on the panel for around 6 years and he has played plenty of times without ever showing enough to nail down a place. In 2014 he started the first round of Ulster at full forward v down without scoring. I think he came on in the replay and got a point. I'm nearly sure he started full forward v Armagh in the championship that year, don't think he scored much.

Come 2015 he had played good bit in McKenna cup in full forward line and started first game of league before injury. He has struggled with injury since which is the reason he hasn't played nothing to do with a dislike of his family (as much as you'd like that to be the reason).

McKenna is a good player but has yet to really bring underage or club form to the county in either league or championship. I'd really like to see the lad get fit and get another go at it though, cause he has plenty of football ability. Hopefully he gets a few good months training behind him and proves to be a real option for full forward line next year.

Interesting to see this debate. Has had a horrible few years of injuries and there's many a time it might have been easier to let him go.  For all the club minutes he has played in 2 years his scoring return is phenomenal.  He needs lots of football club and county. I'd say 10 weeks of games, but if you want a big scoring full forward alternative and mc Kenna is match fit. He will get in there and do a great job and is unrecognisable from where he was 3 years ago. Class act.

redhandofgod

McKenna is a decent player when fully fit but hardly a class act.

Club boi

1 Game
Against Cookstown
At Home
In The League

Yeah World Beater

Get him Number 14 Micky

southtyronegael

Quote from: Club boi on December 03, 2016, 06:19:11 PM
1 Game
Against Cookstown
At Home
In The League

Yeah World Beater

Get him Number 14 Micky
who said he was a world beater? no point in tellin mickey to put him at 14 anyway cause hed only end up as a sweeper anyway.