Best way to send money from the US to the UK

Started by Eamonnca1, August 21, 2015, 06:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Any suggestions? I've used Western Union before but I'm open to other ideas.

armaghniac

Currencyfair, Transfermate,  Xe.com

The problem is the hassle of setting up with these people, owing to money laundering bollix.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Clov

I used paypal previously. I had 2 accounts, 1 linked to my US bank and 1 linked to my UK account.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

oakleafer

Transferwise. Easily the best I've used. No hidden fees, good rates and easy to use.

gawa316

Quote from: oakleafer on August 21, 2015, 09:36:39 PM
Transferwise. Easily the best I've used. No hidden fees, good rates and easy to use.

I would second that!

The Iceman

I'm going back to Armagh first week of September - happy to help if I can
Bank transfers are fine too - I still have an account at home and my Da has access to it  - I transfer money back and forth regular
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

armaghniac

Quote from: The Iceman on August 21, 2015, 11:13:41 PM
I'm going back to Armagh first week of September - happy to help if I can
Bank transfers are fine too - I still have an account at home and my Da has access to it  - I transfer money back and forth regular

Bank transfers are fine, except the bank takes about 3% of your money!

Probably better to send it last week, the dollar is down a bit this week.

Eamonnca1

Thanks for the suggestions. I've gone with Transferwise. Very handy, did it all through the web and no need to visit the credit union.

armaghniac

It is notable that fees are less USD -> GBP or EUR than in the other direction, especially as the US banks usually charge to receive money as well.