Donegal vs Armagh Ulster Championship 2022

Started by Armagh18, March 31, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: KickPass on April 10, 2022, 08:29:21 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 10, 2022, 10:24:56 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 10, 2022, 10:06:49 AM
Quote from: KickPass on April 09, 2022, 05:38:55 PM
Here's an idea. Why not get Armagh to represent Ireland in the International Rules series? McGeeney and McKeever's brand of thuggery can be let loose on the Aussies and see how they get on.
Seem to remember McGeeney being one of the only men that didn't shite their togs against the Aussies...

Exactly, McGeeney and Mc Keever were proper tough competitors. Some of the Tyrone players were wannabe hard men until they met the Ozzies.

Mckeever tough? lol

You initially called him a thug and now you seem to be suggesting he's not tough, it sounds like you're a bit confused. McKeever was a teak tough centre back in his prime you don't get to vice captain your country against the ozzies unless you have plenty of steel about you.

naka

Ethan Tremblay

Rubbish talk aside, what's the general consensus for this game. 

Having watched both teams during the league, Armagh looked more impressive and consistent in how they play, Donegal have been slightly underwhelming without Murphy in the games I have seen (which is not all of them mind). 

Do the Armagh ones feel this game is unwinnable without O'Neil playing?
It was mentioned Armagh have a completive team with players to come off the bench, so suspensions aside surely those players can plug the gaps in some shape or form?

Its a 50/50 for me, Donegal have it in them to get them over the line when they want to and up their may give them more of an advantage, but again Armagh have looked more assured.  For me, it would be Armagh by 2points at the very most, if they play the football they have been playing of late. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

naka

For me Armagh aren't winning without O Neill .

mackers

Assuming no further injuries if Armagh have Conor Turbitt and Oisin O'Neill available to play I'd give Armagh a chance with Donegal favourites. Their availability would go some way to make up for the suspensions.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

yellowcard

I don't think Donegal have anybody who can mark Rian O'Neill, they are really poor in defence one on one and Patton is not great under high balls so the long early ball is an obvious tactic to use against them. If we simply try and match them by playing a running game there will only be one winner so we need to mix it up. If Rian O'Neill isn't available then Murnin is another option to play inside and then have runners feeding off him. At the other end of the pitch I'd be worried about McBrearty, he is a hot and cold player but always seems to keep his best form for playing Armagh. I'm not sure who to put on him, Morgan has often struggled to contain him in the past so I would probably try McCabe on him if Forker is tasked with shadowing Murphy. 

Its almost impossible to make a prediction at this stage until the available line ups are known closer to the time.   

Westside

O'Neill is still a level below the likes of Jack McCarron or McCurry. He's young though and will probably improve more with time.

yellowcard

Quote from: Westside on April 11, 2022, 02:49:26 PM
O'Neill is still a level below the likes of Jack McCarron or McCurry. He's young though and will probably improve more with time.

I don't really get the comparision with McCarron and McCurry, they are both nimble skilful inside forwards. Rian O'Neill is much more than that, he can play anywhere from midfield upwards and a comparision with someone like Michael Murphy would be more apt I think. 

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: yellowcard on April 11, 2022, 03:19:54 PM

I don't really get the comparision with McCarron and McCurry, they are both nimble skilful inside forwards. Rian O'Neill is much more than that, he can play anywhere from midfield upwards and a comparision with someone like Michael Murphy would be more apt I think.

Thats a fair point, he is certainly more versatile than McCarron and McCurry, and on more than one occasion has took the initiative and went into the middle of the pitch to field ball.  Is Murphy fit to play or what is his situation?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

David McKeown

Lot of speculation about that Armagh have a few key injuries as well. I think both teams at full strength I'd give Armagh a chance. If the suspensions and injuries result in a loss of players then I think home advantage should see Donegal home comfortably
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

J70

We'll see.

Donegal were still missing a few starters late in the league.

Michael Langan only made his comeback late in the Armagh league game. Caolan McGonigle, Oisin Gallen and Ciaran Thompson were still out. Hopefully they're fit and they, along with lads like Jamie Brennan and Niall O'Donnell who also missed a lot of the league, get back to match-sharpness.

Westside

Maybe Enda Smith would be a better comparison, although he has much to prove before he could be considered in Smith's league.

yellowcard

Quote from: Westside on April 11, 2022, 05:16:11 PM

Maybe Enda Smith would be a better comparison, although he has much to prove before he could be considered in Smith's league.

Yes, Smith who is an excellent player is a much better comparison. Rian O'Neill has the ability and still has his best years ahead of him.

Solo_run

Quote from: yellowcard on April 11, 2022, 05:41:37 PM
Quote from: Westside on April 11, 2022, 05:16:11 PM

Yes, Smith who is an excellent player is a much better comparison. Rian O'Neill has the ability and is still has best years ahead of him.

There will be 4 of them in a few years

imtommygunn