Donegal vs Armagh Ulster Championship 2022

Started by Armagh18, March 31, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: bennydorano on March 31, 2022, 08:04:07 PM
No doubt Donegal have went a bit backwards the past couple of years, I thought there was an AI on the horizon a few years back but it's went a bit pear-shaped and Bonner's time has passed and they really need a new voice in there. While they are there for the taking for Armagh they are more than capable of beating us by 5 or 6 points on a good day.

If the suspensions don't give us a motivational edge I'd be very surprised, I honestly think we'll benefit from it.

I'm definitely a bit pessimistic by nature and always waiting to be let down by the various teams I support but I've no idea what way this going to go, it's as close to a 50/50 game as you're gonna get. Could be a big Summer ahead for the winner and a first round qualifier exit for the loser.
Quietly confident for this one, firmly believe  that we are a better side than Donegal and playing to the best our our ability we'll have too much for them. We seem to have tightened up the back and don't think they have the defenders to live with O'Neill, Grugan etc.

Very possible we self sabotage though like we did vs Monaghan last year! Also wouldnt fear anyone in the Qualifiers either side capable of getting to the AIQF through the back door!

keeperlit

I wouldn't start grugan. Wait to the heavy work is done and bring him on in second half when game opens up.

Average Score

And who would you start in place of him, Grugan has had an very good league.

Armagh18

Quote from: keeperlit on April 01, 2022, 09:04:57 AM
I wouldn't start grugan. Wait to the heavy work is done and bring him on in second half when game opens up.
With a full team I'd have been starting Grugan and keeping Turbitt (if fit) and Soupy in reserve to run at them in the second half. With Nugent and Soupy gone we might have to start Turbitt. Hopefully Oisin O'Neill is back.

naka

very confident Armagh will win this game.

keeperlit

Maybe put Higgins into fullback and push forker up. Grugan had a good game against Dublin. Ok against Tyrone, very poor against Kerry and Mayo. When game loosens up bring him in. It is going to be a physical aggressive game on a tight pitch in ballybofey and this won’t suit grugan. He was probably one of Armagh’s most booked players in the league and they were all for silly petulant stuff e.g barging into Monaghan’s man back after the ball had long gone over the endline. Not saying he doesn’t have a role, just that we may get better use out of him by bringing him in when game opens up. Or maybe I am being too harsh on him.

Armagh18

Quote from: keeperlit on April 01, 2022, 10:17:45 AM
Maybe put Higgins into fullback and push forker up. Grugan had a good game against Dublin. Ok against Tyrone, very poor against Kerry and Mayo. When game loosens up bring him in. It is going to be a physical aggressive game on a tight pitch in ballybofey and this won't suit grugan. He was probably one of Armagh's most booked players in the league and they were all for silly petulant stuff e.g barging into Monaghan's man back after the ball had long gone over the endline. Not saying he doesn't have a role, just that we may get better use out of him by bringing him in when game opens up.
No chance Higgins gets dropped into a game like this with so little experience. Forker, Jarly Og, McKay and McCabe more or less nailed on to start in defence I reckon, other spots between Mackin, Burns and Morgan I'd say.

nrico2006

Have Donegal only lost 2 games at Ballybofey since 2010?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2022, 11:08:57 AM
Have Donegal only lost 2 games at Ballybofey since 2010?

One of them was two weeks ago.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: seafoid on March 31, 2022, 10:01:50 PM
Armagh had a good start in D1 then faded somewhat.
Not sure about McGeeney.
Donegal have more experience.

Did Armagh 'fade', or did the order of their opposition make it look that way?

As per the league table, the four worst teams were Dublin, Kildare, Monaghan & Tyrone. Armagh took points from all four.

As per the league table, the two best teams were Kerry & Mayo. Armagh lost to both.

The Donegal game was a dead rubber with a weakened line out.

Rather than fading, it looks like Armagh's results throughout the league were consistent with their position in the current pecking order (~4th/5th).
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

5times5times

Rafferty

Morgan
Forker
McKay

Mackin
McCabe
JOB

Grimley
Crealey

Duffy, or Oisin O'Neill if fit
Grugan
Kelly

Turbitt (if fit)
Rian
Murnin

mackers

Quote from: keeperlit on April 01, 2022, 09:04:57 AM
Grugan is one of the first three names on the teamsheet for me along with Rian O'Neill and Aidan Forker.  He's the man that makes the Armagh forward line tick.  His vision and passing ability are second to none.  Not a chance he doesn't start if fit.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Itchy

Donegal as cute as f*ck. Accepting the ban of their two players knowing that doing so will surely mean that Armaghs appeal for their 3 players will be turned down.

yellowcard

Quote from: Itchy on April 01, 2022, 12:55:57 PM
Donegal as cute as f*ck. Accepting the ban of their two players knowing that doing so will surely mean that Armaghs appeal for their 3 players will be turned down.

It's just the logical thing to do from their point of view. Why would they appeal when one of them is a veteran sub unlikely to be used anyway. They are effectively missing one player to Armaghs three.

Are Armagh appealing then? I'd be disappointed if they didn't.

Solo_run

Quote from: yellowcard on April 01, 2022, 01:10:45 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 01, 2022, 12:55:57 PM

It's just the logical thing to do from their point of view. Why would they appeal when one of them is a veteran sub unlikely to be used anyway. They are effectively missing one player to Armaghs three.

Are Armagh appealing then? I'd be disappointed if they didn't.

Yes