Tablet

Started by wanderer, March 30, 2015, 08:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer

Can someone tell me how I can watch films or TV shows on a tablet by downloading them (preferably free). I have a cheap tablet and want to download a few things for travelling.

I want to be able to watch them with no wifi connection etc. I'm sure its simple but have no idea how you do it..........  :-\

laoislad

Download an app called utorrent.It's in the Play Store if you search.
Go to a torrent site on your browser ,like piratebay or kickasstorrents, and download whatever the hell you want and it will be saved to your phone via the utorrent app.
If piratebay is blocked just google piratebay proxys and select a link that works.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

macdanger2

Anyone able to recommend a decent tablet, going to buy one for my parents (in their late 70s) to make it easier to do video calls etc. Something fairly basic will probably do the job

Solo_run

Download cyberflix

macdanger2

Quote from: Solo_run on March 26, 2020, 11:28:43 PM
Download cyberflix

I guess I should have started a new thread, the original question is 5 years old

Solo_run

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 27, 2020, 12:17:23 AM
Quote from: Solo_run on March 26, 2020, 11:28:43 PM
Download cyberflix

I guess I should have started a new thread, the original question is 5 years old

Aha apologies.

What would be your budget?

Do your parents have a smart mobile phone for WhatsApp?

Solo_run

Amazon Fire 7 tablet £49.99

This is an entry level tablet but does a decent job. It can do video calling with other Amazon devices and Facebook messenger. However, from experience I find the picture quality during video calls to be too pixelated. The device is user friendly but if the parents aren't very tech savvy they might encounter issues with the device as it isn't primarily for video calling but a basic all rounder.

Facebook Portal £149.00

This is a little steep in price. However you can set up a Facebook account without giving away too many details and use this for the sole purpose of video calling. The added bonus for this is that you can connect it to your parents TV and instead of having to try and cram then together this has a wide lense so you can talk and see them both at the same time while the are on the sofa. It's made easier by the fact that they can put it on at the flick of a button and hear you much easier than through a cheap tablet. If you have brothers and sisters you can have 3+ video calls going at the same time.

Amazon Echo Show/spot £79.99/£119

The devices are fixed into one position. They aren't as portable as a tablet and would likely be uncomfortable to use for prolonged periods. You would need to download the Amazon app on your phone to allow video calls and I think this requires a primary mobile device to connect to (so it has access to an contacts list). I don't think they support WhatsApp but do support Facebook messenger I believe. They are cheap and they are fit for purpose but they could be awkward to use. Google home may be another option for you but it is a fixed station and £120+.

In short

Tablet

Pros: Portable, Cheap, Multifunctional, Use different video calling apps
Cons: Pixelated video calls, sound quality, could have difficulties using, poor camera quality

Facebook Portal

Pros: Easy to use; TV controlled sound; WhatsApp and FB messenger compatible; picture quality; multiple people in video with ease; comfortable to use

Cons: Expensive; Single function I.e. video calling; FB data concerns

Amazon Show/spot/Google Home

Pros: Built for purpose; Multifunctional; Cheap, Google Home can do video calls through DUO app
Cons: Requires Amazon/Duo app on contacts devices: limited apps

Google Home:

macdanger2

Good man, thanks. I'll have a look at those

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 26, 2020, 11:08:47 PM
Anyone able to recommend a decent tablet, going to buy one for my parents (in their late 70s) to make it easier to do video calls etc. Something fairly basic will probably do the job

I bought this last weekend for my 80 year old mother-in-law so she could watch mass and make/receive video calls. She has got the hang of it relatively easily. Not the most hi tech but does the job.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/alcatel/3t-10