This day 25 years ago

Started by Boycey, January 04, 2011, 11:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

On this day 25 years ago Philip Parris Lynott, the hero of my teenage years lost his fight with addiction. There will never be another like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENy7MQIYJs

thejuice

http://www.vibeforphilo.com/index2.htm

Would love to be going to the Vibe for Philo tonight. Went to it about 7 years ago. it was great craic.

This year it will have Pat McManus from Mama's Boys, The Hoodoo Rhythm Devils + Guest Glen Hansard  :-\ , The Eric "Bogroll" Bell Trio and The Brian Robertson Band among others.

I'm sure there will be lots of the same old boring old platitudes on RTE and elsewhere from people who probably never knew him. But how and ever Thin Lizzy are still the most successful Irish band that played on the harder (and therefore better  ;) says I) side of rock music ever.

I went to see the "reformed  :P" Thin Lizzy fronted by John Sykes a few times and the songs still stand the test of time. I was obviously too young to see the real deal but ever since I heard that riff in Emerald (you know the one) I've been a fan.

There was a storey going round that Phil was stopped by some aul wan in the street, and she asked him if he was off the telly as she knew his face.

He said yeah sure, I'm Red Hurley

Said she, I thought I knew ya
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Boycey

Was at a couple of the very early vibes, think the last one I was at was the 10th which was held at The Point. It was memorable for Henry Rollins chucking a mic stand at some guy that was heckling him.

Was lucky enough to see Lizzy on the Thunder and Lightning tour (82??) and saw Phil in Grand Slam a couple of times after that in pub venues round Ireland!

The music remains as fresh today as it was 30 years ago.

ziggysego

Seen that on Twitter last night. 25 years? Man, doesn't seem it. Fantastic musician.

thejuice, went to see Pat McManus in Omagh over Christmas. The man can work that guitar!
Testing Accessibility

FL/MAYO

Brilliant live act, saw them play in Leisureland Galway back in 1982, Lynott was class.

This is a great clip of them live in Sydney you would forget how good they were

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B435SzgfRk&feature=related

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thejuice on January 04, 2011, 12:15:35 PM
http://www.vibeforphilo.com/index2.htm

Would love to be going to the Vibe for Philo tonight. Went to it about 7 years ago. it was great craic.
I went to see the "reformed  :P" Thin Lizzy fronted by John Sykes a few times and the songs still stand the test of time. I was obviously too young to see the real deal but ever since I heard that riff in Emerald (you know the one) I've been a fan.

There was a storey going round that Phil was stopped by some aul wan in the street, and she asked him if he was off the telly as she knew his face.
would love to go myself, keep threatening it every year but never do.
Know plenty that have gone to these things and love them.
What a group. Music still brilliant.

emerald one of my faves, but the hard edged riff that is in massacre makes it one of my top three tunes ever !
(if ya ever needed a song before a game to gee you up....)

johnneycool

I stumbled across a live version of half a dozen Lizzy songs on a free CD, probably from a newspaper like the Irish mail on sunday or the likes and the quality for a live recording was unbelievable, some great guitar work on it. Phil was some man for one man and wrote some great tunes.

Honorable mention to the McManus lads who made up the original Mamas boys from Fermanagh, I think it was John who died very young, had some good stuff in their first few albums

Boycey

Quote from: johnneycool on January 04, 2011, 02:14:28 PM
I stumbled across a live version of half a dozen Lizzy songs on a free CD, probably from a newspaper like the Irish mail on sunday or the likes and the quality for a live recording was unbelievable, some great guitar work on it. Phil was some man for one man and wrote some great tunes.

Honorable mention to the McManus lads who made up the original Mamas boys from Fermanagh, I think it was John who died very young, had some good stuff in their first few albums

It was Tommy, who played the drums, that died.  They were exceptional. A source of great sadness to me that they never made it. Would have seen them umpteen times in parish halls all round my local region back in the day.

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Agent Orange

RTE1 22:55  The Philip Lynott archive.

ardal

Thanks for bringing it up Boycey.
Checked the youtube stuff and came across a TL song I'd never heard before "Suicide"

On a more important note if you read the lyrics, Lynott would stand before Yeates, Joyce, Heany et al, and they would bow (I think Seamus would have the charater to do it automatically considering what he said about Enimem)

Just found this and nearly wet myself; some bits I don't quite get; the spider, but it's very clever
It's whiskey in the jar with pics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZN82U5Jyok&feature=related

Hardy

Quote from: ardal on January 02, 2012, 10:42:32 PMsome bits I don't quite get; the spider

Daddy longlegs? He seems to think the lyric is "wait for my Daddy-o". And who could blame him? What could anyone make of "whack for my daddy-o" as an attempt at a rock-and-roll-friendly version of whackfoldedaddio?

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on January 03, 2012, 12:11:54 PM
Quote from: ardal on January 02, 2012, 10:42:32 PMsome bits I don't quite get; the spider

Daddy longlegs? He seems to think the lyric is "wait for my Daddy-o". And who could blame him? What could anyone make of "whack for my daddy-o" as an attempt at a rock-and-roll-friendly version of whackfoldedaddio?

Why is there a ruler with a price tag from Mad City News under the spider?
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Mid City News - a newsagent shop in Melbourne.

I'm assuming it's to provide the "whack for my spider daddyo"/daddy longlegs

Shamrock Shore

Never was into Lizzy. Never liked Lynott.

Am I flawed?