DFS Sofas

Started by Boycey, October 04, 2010, 01:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Any of you good folk ever buy stuff from DFS? The missus had me on the Boucher Rd on Saturday looking for a suite of furniture, as the wee fella was running amok in the shop I entertained him as she talked to the sales guy, anyway she came home with a price of £1500 for all the stuff we she wants. I was looking at their website there and the prices she was quoted are the exact catalogue prices. What I'm wondering is their any room for haggle with these guys?

Banana Man

you mean the DFS ''2nd October sale'' wasn't on, they seem to have a never ending sale ffs, what are you getting for £1,500? sounds steep...

Boycey

Quote from: Banana Man on October 04, 2010, 02:22:13 PM
you mean the DFS ''2nd October sale'' wasn't on, they seem to have a never ending sale ffs, what are you getting for £1,500? sounds steep...

Of course the never ending sale was on :D but was wondering beyond that??

I was happy enough to get away with £1500 when I seen the price of some of the stuff :o. Getting a suite for one room and and a sofa for another.

lolafrola

You should try the real leather ones and see how much they'd cost you ;)
Be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because you may meet them on the way back down.

Maguire01

We bought one. Quite expensive, but nice. Too early to say how it will wear.
Their announcements of new sales are hilarious. Do any idiots actually buy from DFS outside of a sale?

Tony Baloney

Personally wouldn't buy as have heard bad stories about poor wear on the fabric sofas, also not sure about the frames which should be hardwood on a decent sofa. Probably okay if you are changing sofas etc every few years but doubt they look the part after a few years.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 04, 2010, 07:26:07 PM
Personally wouldn't buy as have heard bad stories about poor wear on the fabric sofas, also not sure about the frames which should be hardwood on a decent sofa. Probably okay if you are changing sofas etc every few years but doubt they look the part after a few years.
At their prices you wouldn't be planning on changing your sofa every few years!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 04, 2010, 09:41:37 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 04, 2010, 07:26:07 PM
At their prices you wouldn't be planning on changing your sofa every few years!
I thought they were about 300 quid? It always seems that way in the ads that fall out of the papers. I assume then that they have a selection of decent stuff that is normally priced? My ignorance then.

rrhf

I bought - was happy, but after 5 years the frame on the sofa has collapsed. >:( 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: rrhf on October 05, 2010, 08:46:31 AM
I bought - was happy, but after 5 years the frame on the sofa has collapsed. >:(
Put on much weight in 5 years?

StGallsGAA

Nicely finished but absolute crap inside.  MDF frames which as a load bearing material has low memory i.e. doesnt spring back into shape like wood but rather gradually warps out of shape over time.  Even plywood is much better.   Avoid like the plague unless you get it for a song and are happy to throw out and replace after a few years.

gerry

dfs=

Dreadful Furniture Store

Dodgy Fecking Sofas
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Boycey

After a serious bit of measuring last night she who must be obeyed has decided that the one she had picked doesn't fit anyway, so its back to the drawing board..... More Saturdays wasted.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on October 05, 2010, 10:47:00 AM
After a serious bit of measuring last night she who must be obeyed has decided that the one she had picked doesn't fit anyway, so its back to the drawing board..... More Saturdays wasted.
If you are looking for leather sofas there are good deals online. We saw really nice leather sofas in a shop but the price wasn't too nice so I googled the supplier and their website handily said who they supplied to so I eventually found same sofas online in England and saved about 800 quid for 2 sofas.