One of the most infamous acts of cheating in sport

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 22, 2010, 01:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Nope - not Tyrone  :D

Watched a documentary over the weekend regarding a boxing match in 1983 between Luis Resto and "Irish" Billy Collins Jr

QuoteOn June 16, 1983 Resto unexpectedly beat undefeated prospect Billy Collins Jr at Madison Square Garden in New York City in a 10-round unanimous decision. The fight was the undercard for a bout between Roberto Durán and Davey Moore.

However, Collins' father and trainer, Billy, Sr., discovered that Resto's gloves were thinner than normal. When Billy, Sr. reached out to shake Resto's hand, he felt only leather over fist. Screaming that he thought the gloves had no padding, Collins, Sr. demanded that the New York State Athletic Commission impound the gloves. An investigation revealed that someone had removed an ounce of padding from each of his gloves. However, it was obvious even before then that the gloves had been altered. Collins' eyes were swollen shut by the end of the 10th round, and the rest of his face was so badly swollen that it was impossible to believe a light puncher could have inflicted such damage.

Collins suffered a torn iris and permanently blurred vision, ending his career. He died only months later when he drove his car into a culvert while intoxicated. Some commentators have speculated that the loss of his livelihood drove him into a downward spiral. Collins' father has since postulated that his son committed suicide

After a month's investigation, the New York State Boxing Commission determined that Resto's trainer, Panama Lewis, had removed the padding from Resto's gloves. It also determined that Resto should have known the gloves were illegal. The commission suspended Resto's boxing license for at least a year. Since most state boxing commissions honor sanctions from other states, this effectively banned Resto from boxing in the United States. Resto's win was subsequently changed to a no contest.

In 1986, Lewis and Resto were both put on trial and found guilty of assault, criminal possession of a weapon (Resto's hands) and conspiracy. Prosecutors charged that the bout amounted to an illegal assault on Collins and that Resto should have known that the padding had been removed from his gloves. Resto served 2.5 years in prison.

At last report, Resto was living rent-free in the basement of the Morris Park Boxing Gym in the Bronx. After 15 years of trying to regain his license, he was finally allowed to work as a cornerman by New York State.

In 2007, Resto apologized to Collins' widow, Andrea Collins-Nile, who is suing the state of New York for not protecting her late husband. Resto also told Collins-Nile that in addition to removing padding from the gloves, Lewis placed plaster underneath his hand wraps, greatly—and illegally—increasing his punching power. The hand wraps had never been confiscated. Resto also disclosed that Lewis would break apart pills used to treat asthma and pour the medicine into his water bottles, giving Resto greater lung capacity in the later rounds of a fight.

Resto also visited Collins' gravesite and said, "I'm sorry for what I did to you". In 2008, he told the The Tennessean that he'd been burdened by guilt over his involvement in the scheme for almost a quarter century. At a 2008 press conference, Resto said that he knew Lewis had taken the padding out of his gloves and had done so at least twice before. However, Resto said, he didn't protest at the time even though he knew it was wrong. "At the time, I was young," he said. "I went along."

The 1983 incident and subsequent aftermath is covered in the HBO aired documentary Assault in the Ring. During the documentary, Resto also appears to confirm law enforcement's theory that the plot was centered around a large amount of money bet on Resto by a third party, who had met with Lewis prior to the fight.

The aftermath of the fight

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Paul Mc Graths Da

I though they'd changed the name of the Man Utd thread to something more appropriate......it appears not

magpie seanie

Quote from: Paul Mc Graths Da on February 22, 2010, 02:10:18 PM
I though they'd changed the name of the Man Utd thread to something more appropriate......it appears not

OK - we understand you do not like Manchester United. Message received loud and clear.

Now - have you anything else to say?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Boycey on February 22, 2010, 02:03:11 PM
Shocking story, wouldn't mind seeing that documentary, where/when was it on??

It was on over here on a show called The Passionate Eye

HBO did a documentary called "Assault in the Ring" that can be found on certain sites across the web - if you know what I mean  :D

bingobus

Shocking read that and not all that long ago, I'm sure there is many more stories like that from the past in boxing.

Reading a box on Jimmy "Babyface" McLarnin at the minute, a world champion in the 30's in the US and it seems that fixing was widespread at the time as well. Even if not fixed, they still just seemed to slug the shite out of each other at the time!

Maiden1

Quote from: bingobus on February 22, 2010, 02:57:07 PM
Shocking read that and not all that long ago, I'm sure there is many more stories like that from the past in boxing.

Reading a box on Jimmy "Babyface" McLarnin at the minute, a world champion in the 30's in the US and it seems that fixing was widespread at the time as well. Even if not fixed, they still just seemed to slug the shite out of each other at the time!

I watched a documentary one time on Jack Dempsey.  There was some controvery in the fight he had with World champion at the time Jess Willard with Dempseys manager later claiming he had put plaster of paris on the bandages under Dempseys gloves.

Willard had a broken cheekbone, broken jaw, several teeth knocked out, partial hearing loss in one ear, and broken ribs as a result of the fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Dempsey

Others have refuted that there was any tampering with the gloves but it's hard to know for sure.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Paul Mc Graths Da

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 22, 2010, 02:17:45 PM

OK - we understand you do not like Manchester United. Message received loud and clear.

Something of an understatement.....

ross4life

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 22, 2010, 02:17:45 PM

well if you ask me he must hit the bottle harder than Paul McGrath to wash away the united success  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

winsamsoon

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.