Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by The Boy Wonder, May 25, 2022, 02:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

"I've spoken at length with my players about not competing in the Leinster SFC next year. In terms of importance, it's down the list."

https://t.co/f879FUlkhL

Billy O'Loughlin talks a lot of sense regarding the pointlessness of the Leinster Championship.

Although we were knocked out early this year, an extended Tailteann Cup provides Laois with a competition in which we can compete with counties closer to our level.

It provides us, if we were to organise ourselves propetly, with a realistic opportunity of winning a national competition.

It, and the national league, are the future for the likes of Laois.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: redsetanta on May 30, 2022, 09:57:25 AM
'Too many of them in the stand'

Who was sitting in the stand that should have been playing?
It's probably not fair to name lads but the dogs in the street know that a huge number of players turned down the offer to join the senior panel this year.
I certainly saw a few of them attending games this year. But each lad may well have had his own reasons.
Let's hope we see a few more of them back in the squad next year.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Chrimtain

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on May 31, 2022, 04:53:21 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on May 30, 2022, 09:57:25 AM
'Too many of them in the stand'

Who was sitting in the stand that should have been playing?
It's probably not fair to name lads but the dogs in the street know that a huge number of players turned down the offer to join the senior panel this year.
I certainly saw a few of them attending games this year. But each lad may well have had his own reasons.
Let's hope we see a few more of them back in the squad next year.

I would hope that the prospect of competing in an extended summer competition which we have a realistic hope of winning, would make the prospect of playing with the county team more appealing to players.

Pugwash

I think it's a major pity that the GAA didn't have the foresight to play double headers for the Tailteann Cup, it would have at least bumped up attendances and created more of an atmosphere at the games.

Or even play some of the games before a provincial final/All Ireland quarters/semi/final etc, the players would feed off that.

Even go completely left wing and have a game on before a Hurling match, do whatever is necessary to drum up greater interest.

County Man

A few quick points as another inter county season ends for Laois. No more competitive action until the National league in 8 months at the end of January.

On the game itself. Didn't know what to expect in the new Tailteann cup but the hope was to be somewhat competetive against Westmeath after what happened against Wicklow in Aughrim and also after getting walloped by Westmeath in Tullamore last years Leinster quater final.

Was impressed on Sunday. Only about 600 at the game but a bit of bite about it. We responded well to Aughrim. Good hunger was shown. Evan O'Carroll just went for it and on another day could have had 2 early goals. Big Donie made such a difference and Paul Kingston was sharp as he was against Wicklow when he came on in 2nd half.

We were well in the game even before their sending off. But we hit a purple patch after the sending off with some wonderful scores and again in the early part of the 2nd half. We looked good for victory when going 10-7 up. Our defense was much tighter, Paddy O'Sullivan was good at centre back and our new under 20 lads did very well especially Sean Greene, he was literally everywhere on the park. Great penalty save as well by Bolger.

We can build for the future. The under 20s ran Kildare to 2 points and they ended up in an All Ireland final. The key if possible is to have a settled, consistent panel for 3/4 years to build something. That is what Limerick have done and look how far Derry have come! We beat them 3 years ago in a qualifier up in Owenbeg.

Finally, a huge thank you to both John O'Loughlin and Colm Begley. 2 great servants to Laois football.

Giovanni

Good post.

Have to say the 8 month break is a bit annoying.

Laois man

Any word on our senior football manager is he staying or going?

Spiritof86

Signs are he's staying for another year .

Spiritof86

Tommy Mulligan added to Laois backroom set up along with Chris Conway and Gerry McGill.
Tom Hargroves who has been recently appointed to a full-time Laois GAA role as Head of Athletic Development Is also involved .

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Spiritof86 on October 17, 2022, 01:44:22 PM
Tommy Mulligan added to Laois backroom set up along with Chris Conway and Gerry McGill.
Tom Hargroves who has been recently appointed to a full-time Laois GAA role as Head of Athletic Development Is also involved .

What a disaster . More dinosaurs

Butch Cassidy

Tom Hargreaves with an interesting and very important role. Great to have full time positions for such a role. Anyone know if this covers all the development squads of both codes?