Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

It's a real shame to lose lads to travelling. I would have thought that COVID would make travelling less attractive this year (just in relation to all the restrictions). The lads that are missing will be big losses. Hopefully some of them might get back later in the year.

redsetanta

What's the situation with Lee Bergin?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Spiritof1915

Quote from: redsetanta on January 07, 2022, 02:20:48 PM
What's the situation with Lee Bergin?
Lack of interest for club and county I believe. Looking to travel when life returns to normal. Massive talent none the less

Robbo

Leigh realistically won't ever hurl again for laois. Doubtful if he'll play for his club. Pity such a talent.

Looks like we have lots of defenders available. Should see picky Maher back in the forwards at least.

Spiritof86

Is Paddy Purcell taking a year out ?

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Spiritof86 on January 10, 2022, 12:20:13 PM
No. He's back though don't know where he was yesterday possibly covid related. Ciaran mcevoy missing with a broken finger along with injuries to cha and pj scully. Good to see Cheddar attempting to increase the depth of squad. But we seemed to be lacking in the S&C department.
In other news the u20s played out a competitive draw with a strong Limerick outfit yesterday. James duggan scored 3-02. Surely worth a look at senior level.

redsetanta

Laois need their best hurlers just to be competitive.

We are just unable to cope if 2 or 3 starters are out.

Kavanagh is such a loss for us but in saying that I thought PJ was a huge improvement last year.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Spiritof86

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on January 10, 2022, 02:41:14 PM
Quote from: Spiritof86 on January 10, 2022, 12:20:13 PM
No. He's back though don't know where he was yesterday possibly covid related. Ciaran mcevoy missing with a broken finger along with injuries to cha and pj scully. Good to see Cheddar attempting to increase the depth of squad. But we seemed to be lacking in the S&C department.
In other news the u20s played out a competitive draw with a strong Limerick outfit yesterday. James duggan scored 3-02. Surely worth a look at senior level.

Good to hear that about Purcell after hearing otherwise yesterday .

I think the situation with the likes of Duggan is it could hinder his development if he's in with the Seniors and doesn't get any game time . I just presuming he won't eligible for the u20s if he hurls with the seniors correct me if I'm wrong .

Ogie

I would love for 2022 if Laois Today, great service to the county that they do provide, would get a knowledgable, down to earth hurling pundit for the year, hurling is definitely not the lads forte, football obviously their first love, but the analysis of games / performances is miles off.

As regards the game yesterday, we are well behind in S&C stakes consistently, still playing catch up with the main teams. Good numbers on the panel, a few out of their depth, but as said above I think with our best 15 /17 we can compete most days.
Best yesterday Ryan Mullaney, Podge Delaney, Roddy, Picky, Stephen Bergin

Mark Dowling will be a good addition to the full forward line, ciaran byrne needs time to develop, Fonzy also will need to get used to this level, Jack kelly brought a bit of pace into the game, where to hurl him will be the decision, maybe podge at 6 again and Jack at 7.

Goin to be hectic few months for them, realistically we're looking to win the Antrim home league game and the westmeath home
Championship game, anything else a bonus,
Ben Conroy was v poor and turned over numerous balls that led to scores,
Biggest thing we will need is a half forward line.

Spiritof86

They had Damien Carter there last year didn't they ? He had a few interesting views 😁

Spiritof1915

Lots to be happy about yesterday going forward..
I really believe a half back line of podge, Liam o connell and Ryan mullaney could be a serious platform. 3 big, physical and intelligent hurlers who I'd like to think can keep most counties half forward lines under pressure.

I agree with one of the previous contributors the our half forward line has an inability to win primary possession which is a foundation for any successful team. Maybe the likes of eanna lyons and Cha will work in that respect. Picky an option on half forward line too.
Throw in scully and roddy in the full forward. An athletic midfield to pick from with Fiachra, aidan Corby, Jack Kelly and John Lennon all vying and whoever else comes out of the pack, I'd like to think we have a chance of turning over one of the so called big teams this year

ottoman

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on January 10, 2022, 03:58:46 PM
I really believe a half back line of podge, Liam o connell and Ryan mullaney could be a serious platform. 3 big, physical and intelligent hurlers who I'd like to think can keep most counties half forward lines under pressure.

I agree with one of the previous contributors the our half forward line has an inability to win primary possession which is a foundation for any successful team. Maybe the likes of eanna lyons and Cha will work in that respect. Picky an option on half forward line too.
Throw in scully and roddy in the full forward. An athletic midfield to pick from with Fiachra, aidan Corby, Jack Kelly and John Lennon all vying and whoever else comes out of the pack, I'd like to think we have a chance of turning over one of the so called big teams this year

Aaron Dunphy is a big loss here. He's not only the best half forward in the county currently but he is athletic and well conditioned to the demands of intercounty hurling. We unfortunately don't have too many like him within the county! If Aidan Corby can carry his club for the county it would be huge for us also.

blueandwhite1

Would prefer to see one of Fonsie / Mullaney in centre back with two mobile half backs - Jack and Podge. Half forward line has been a problem for us for years. Picky and Cha can win it a bit of ball. Is Willie Dunphy back? Pity Collier isn't involved. Jordan Walsh worth a look. Maybe with Roddy, PJ and Ben Conroy in the full forward line.

Always think Paddy Purcell is better at midfield, maybe alongside Corby or Fennell.

My starting 15:
Rowland
Conway
Downey
Hartnett
Kelly
Mullaney
Delaney
Purcell
Fennell
W. Dunphy if available, John Lennon otherwise
Cha
Picky
Conroy
Roddy
PJ

Lots on the bench too. I have cheered myself up with this post.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on January 10, 2022, 05:03:05 PM

Would prefer to see one of Fonsie / Mullaney in centre back with two mobile half backs - Jack and Podge. Half forward line has been a problem for us for years. Picky and Cha can win it a bit of ball. Is Willie Dunphy back? Pity Collier isn't involved. Jordan Walsh worth a look. Maybe with Roddy, PJ and Ben Conroy in the full forward line.

Always think Paddy Purcell is better at midfield, maybe alongside Corby or Fennell.

My starting 15:
Rowland
Conway
Downey
Hartnett
Kelly
Mullaney
Delaney
Purcell
Fennell
W. Dunphy if available, John Lennon otherwise
Cha
Picky
Conroy
Roddy
PJ

Lots on the bench too. I have cheered myself up with this post.
That's a fine team on paper albeit I'd like to see dunphy in the corner. Ben has missed a few years and might take him a while to adjust. If lyons avoids injury I think he could be invaluable in half forward for his ball winning abilities and his honest approach. Scoring not his forte but if he can progress this year and be an out and out target man to set up attacks its something the team need in my humble opinion
No qualms about throwing in Frank Flanagan or Macca eitheir. There's serious potential in ciaran byrne too but physically needs maybe a year or two to develop. I m hoping we have at least 20 players up to IC standard that are ready for the battle. The next few weeks and months will test them like never before. Looking forward to it

Ogie

Eanna Lyons not involved this year either
Frank Flanagan not an Inter county corner back