The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

We are tight on numbers at that age, for some reason.  As are Colt, the plan is to enter two teams at A & B.  BallyroanAbbey at U13 we're B they got knocked out at quarter final stage.  We were entering A, Colt came with a proposal I think the other clubs are with them barring Clough Ballacolla.  So we are now A & B with around 33 players total.

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 09, 2022, 08:11:16 PM
We are tight on numbers at that age, for some reason.  As are Colt, the plan is to enter two teams at A & B.  BallyroanAbbey at U13 we're B they got knocked out at quarter final stage.  We were entering A, Colt came with a proposal I think the other clubs are with them barring Clough Ballacolla.  So we are now A & B with around 33 players total.

How many Ballyroan players have ye eligible for u15?

BallyroanAbu

Laois man

Sure they have enough for a team so.

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 09, 2022, 09:12:45 PM
I think 16

I heard a figure of 18/19 but I'll bow to your better information

Colt shanahoe have 19/20 and in fairness they did approach ye

Plus the 4 named chaps in that document

Gives a ball park figure of around 40 u15's  in one amalgamation

At the end of the day,it's not the clubs fault if they can pull a stroke good luck to them,it's short sighted but some prioritise a cup at u15 over player development or retention and that's their call

It's the County Board and in particular Coiste Na Nog that's asleep at the wheel in letting this go on

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Laois man on March 09, 2022, 09:33:10 PM

During Summer Holidays doubtful, always a few away or sick.  I would be very surprised if we won U15 , also not sure on Colts numbers they may be including U13's who won't be playing in Ballyroan as we tend to stick to age groups.

BallyroanAbu

What you have got is 2 B teams currently who will struggle for numbers.  What's going to happen is you now have an A & a B team.  Everyone still plays

Jd

With regards to Ballyroan not having a County minor I've heard that one chap in particular who was on the starting team last year was pursued through several channels but declined to go in.

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 10, 2022, 10:12:09 AM
What you have got is 2 B teams currently who will struggle for numbers.  What's going to happen is you now have an A & a B team.  Everyone still plays

Both colt shanahoe and Ballyroan had the numbers for one squad each

What the county board  should have done was send the Ballacolla lads to Ballyroan to pad out yere 15's and the Trumera lads go to colt Shanahoe and that would get them over the 20 man mark for a viable squad as well

I'm not having a pop at Ballyroan here at all,In fairness to them they run their juvenile club very well and colt Shanahoe did approach them with this proposal

It's the county board that should be proactive and aren't 

Laois fan

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 10, 2022, 09:29:59 AM
Quote from: Laois man on March 09, 2022, 09:33:10 PM

During Summer Holidays doubtful, always a few away or sick.  I would be very surprised if we won U15 , also not sure on Colts numbers they may be including U13's who won't be playing in Ballyroan as we tend to stick to age groups.
Every club suffers with injuries and lads on holidays during the summer,what these amalgamations are doing is making it hard on individual clubs who rely on 14 and even 13 year olds to field a team coming up against a team of 15 year olds

Chrimtain

Two Laois under 14 football development teams were well beaten by Offaly at the weekend. No reasons to be optimistic for the the future, as of yet.

clonadmad

Quote from: Chrimtain on April 11, 2022, 10:12:01 AM
Two Laois under 14 football development teams were well beaten by Offaly at the weekend. No reasons to be optimistic for the the future, as of yet.

A bit of context needed there

Offaly have their u14's whittled down to 40 players

Laois haven't

They put out 6 teams

4 on the day v Meath

2 v Offaly

redsetanta

And the Laois u'15 squad hammered Offaly a couple of weeks ago and play them again in the next couple of weeks.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Robbo

U20 Team to play kildare tomorrow.
Conor Brown (Portlaoise);
Ben Reddin (Portlaoise), Eamonn Delaney (Stradbally), Ben Dempsey (Portlaoise);
Sean Greene (Emo), Simon Fingleton (Park-Ratheniska), Conor Heffernan (Killeshin);
Ciaran Burke (Crettyard), Kevin Swayne (Portlaoise);
Rioghan Murphy (Portarlington), Davin McEvoy (Ballyroan-Abbey), Shaun Fitzpatrick (Ballyroan-Abbey);
Paddy Hosey (Emo), Darragh Carolan (Stradbally), Colin Dunne (Arles-Killeen)

Tough ask against kildare at this age group. It's a good team though. If full-back line and keeper play we'll then could trouble them at the other end.

Pugwash

Quote from: Chrimtain on April 11, 2022, 10:12:01 AM

And therein lies the problem, being results focused at under 14 level is absolutely ridiculous.

Development, Development, Development is all that should matter.

You can get hammered in a game and still pick out a number of positives if you're not blinded by the scoreline.