The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivious

What I am seeing from a number of previous threads is that , we need a local manager who can inspire a lot of lads over 28 years of age , as there is no youth system in place for the last 15 years so the best option is trot out the same lads for the next 4 -5 years in the hope that other counties,  also become equally as bad and therefore we might survive in Division 3. If we then get relegated sure the only way is up and the fortunes of Laois Football will be saved as any new manager will be able to quote from  that wise old sage d-ream things can only get better.

The county now has an underutlised COE but is probably that way due to the ability to open as a result of COVID, this should alter or change in the next few months and every time you drive past it in the future it should be full with underage development or regional squads at all age levels where you have a proper strength and conditioning regime. The problem with a lot of this is the dependence on volunteers and parents and GDA's to ring fence the time to allow this and also support the local clubs.

If you look at any minor or under 20's squad against other counties in Leinster or beyond, the physical strength and fitness of other counties far exceeds that of Laois and this has to be addressed.

I don't believe that after having Minors in the last 3 semi finals and also challenging at under 20 level that there is no talent coming through, what I would see is a disconnect between clubs and county with the underutilisation of existing players on the squad and the over reliance of players in the later part of their career. How could you could commit to the County with all the sacrifice  that it entails and then see someone be picked ahead as a result of legacy. That's not the players fault but management.

A vision has to be given by any future management team on how realistically they can steady the ship and introduce younger players into the squad , they should review some of the previous radical plans on structural reform to the senior and intermediate championships and team/Club amalgimations. The CB should admit the previous failings and have an open and transparent forum where clubs or any member of the public can submit their constructive thoughts in a non-judgemental fashion.

town1980

SCFC we took risks toms o flattery ,, Liam learns ,,Mike quirke etc the list goes on your sometimes clueless in what you want me personally you employ and yes it is a paying job a local man who has a vision on the way he thinks the game should be played,,,, fitness game pan team moral all the above is mandatory again I would not have you on the committee you don't think outside the box oblivious your the man

Zooming around

Quote from: town1980 on July 13, 2021, 12:30:13 AM
SCFC we took risks toms o flattery ,, Liam learns ,,Mike quirke etc the list goes on your sometimes clueless in what you want me personally you employ and yes it is a paying job a local man who has a vision on the way he thinks the game should be played,,,, fitness game pan team moral all the above is mandatory again I would not have you on the committee you don't think outside the box oblivious your the man

Did you post that after a few pints?

Not having a go or anything.... I'm trying my best here to work out what you're saying as I'm sure you have a valid point or two in there somewhere but it looks like one of those newspaper competitions where you have to rearrange the words to form a sentence.

SCFC

Quote from: town1980 on July 13, 2021, 12:30:13 AM

For the love of Jaysus, would you try to write in something resembling English?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Lads, this is a serious situation we find ourselves in. While we have had some very good suggestions and very intelligent chats regarding the position we find ourselves in it is now decending into a "Hogan Stand" type of forum where insults and mud slinging take over and real conversation goes out the window.

Say what you feel without insulting people and you will get genuine responses back but childish behaviour like we've seen in the last few posts will get you nowhere and no-one will respect your views.
We all want the same thing for Laois so please keep it civil lads...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

High Fielder

Just reading on Laois Today that our Football Chairman resigned because he wasn't on the Committee to review our Football performance in the last few years. Am I missing something here? He's the Chairman FFS. Can he not just invite himself? I'm probably missing something and pardon the ignorance if I am. I want someone to tell me we're not running the biggest joke shop in Ireland in our CB offices.

town1980

I agree with you totally high fielder wtf is going on there ,,,looks totally like a decision to oust Laurence Phelan he was definitely left in no other position but resign but who in there right gets to do it this way??? Politics of Laois Gaa is  laughable

Laois man

As Chairman wouldn't you think he has to be on that committee.

High Fielder

Agree with you both. This is getting ridiculous. We're a f**king shambles. Eddie Brennan was bang on the money and both he and Sugrue are better off a million miles away from our CB.

town1980

I see Ger Slevin and Fergal Byron on the committee and rightly so but they should be joined by our football chairman i don't agree with former players opinions myself as our opinion is as valid as anyone's as paying members of Laois Gaa,also fergal was a selector on the u21 team a position he probably should not be in if he is a development officer how can he criticise when Wicklow beat our u21 s and we performed poorly ? Again I think we are a laughing stock and the politics of Gaa hasn't gone away either the best of luck to any manager who wants this job it looks like you are going to have a lot of opinions in the boardroom to deal with before you even  start to gather a team ,,, Laurence
Phelan is the man the should head the review he is our chairman that was voted in by the clubs any other decisions should be invalid and be made public as to why he is being treated this way

High Fielder

This is why genuine sporting people don't get involved. These wannabe politicians are having mini power struggles while we're in the midst of one of the darkest periods ever in Laois GAA. So the next time some smart arse says instead of mouthing off, why don't you run for the CB, remind them of days like this.

We are fucked as long as this sort of scutter is more important to them than fixing our actual problems. We are fucked as long as delegates sit and nod and want to be part of the golden circle. There is no possibility of getting in there and making a difference because it's political and full of cronyism. For the sake of Laois GAA they should all resign. The whole bloody lot of them. What matters to us, the games, are being totally neglected. Let their legacy be the COE and now kindly f**k off. As a Laois Gael I am fed up listening to this sort of crap when we clearly have bigger issues.

SCFC

Quote from: SCFC on July 17, 2021, 11:48:26 AM
Quote from: town1980 on July 16, 2021, 11:10:18 PM
I see Ger Slevin and Fergal Byron on the committee and rightly so but they should be joined by our football chairman i don't agree with former players opinions myself as our opinion is as valid as anyone's as paying members of Laois Gaa,also fergal was a selector on the u21 team a position he probably should not be in if he is a development officer how can he criticise when Wicklow beat our u21 s and we performed poorly ? Again I think we are a laughing stock and the politics of Gaa hasn't gone away either the best of luck to any manager who wants this job it looks like you are going to have a lot of opinions in the boardroom to deal with before you even  start to gather a team ,,, Laurence
Phelan is the man the should head the review he is our chairman that was voted in by the clubs any other decisions should be invalid and be made public as to why he is being treated this way
So Laurence Phelan should be on the review committee but Byron shouldn't be a selector with a county team. Good to see you're consistent in talking shite anyway.

clonadmad

Laurence Phelan in the few dealings I had with him at County Board level impressed me no end.

Any well run County Board in any other county would have a number of Laurence Phelans on it,

Capable self made men,who have the interests of their county first and foremost and have the skill set and determination to drive change.

That said,if we are going to have a review,lets bring in well qualified outside people from other counties to do the review.

The idea that lads would be reviewing and critiquing themselves is laughable and a complete waste of time.

High Fielder

Article on Laois Today about CB meetings. Absolute joke shop. Poor turnouts, meetings held in camera and asking lads to look for a coach when they wouldn't go near it themselves. How many lads have taken the Laois job and never been mapped again? At least have the decency to tell the interviewees that you wouldn't take on the job yourself and the CB won't back you. And to delegates voted in by clubs who don't attend or won't turn on their computer (probably don't know how) you should be f**king ashamed of yourselves. Have you seen the state of Laois GAA ffs?

town1980

Again I agree with you totally high fielder and climad,, why is there know review into Laurence Phelan stepping down??