The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbo

Big win for josephs in the minor tonight. Lovely team and loads of them still underage next year. Very likely they'll do 2 in a row. Hard look to SPG. I had a feeling they might have snuck it before the game but just didnt have the same strength across the whole team I felt.

Laoiseabu

HON THE SAINTS 💙💛💙💛💙💛

SCFC

I was at both minor football finals. SPG were damn unlucky. I'd heard Joseph's were strong favourites but it didn't look like that for the hour. That said, they showed a lot of character to dig in for the win. And, as was said, a lot of their better players are minor again next year so they should be there or thereabouts again.
The B final was good. Looked to me like St Paul's would have been at least semi-finalists in the A. O'Dempseys were very young. One of their clubman was telling me this year's under 15 team is their good crop.

redsetanta

Was over at the U15 semi final between Na Fianna Og and Mountmellick Parish Gaels over the weekend which Na Fianna Og won by 9 points.

It was my first time at Mountmellick GAA grounds and they have a good set up there with a great clubhouse, second pitch, ball wall etc.

How a town the size of that cannot field their own team is a puzzle to me. They're obviously doing great work there but the lack of underage players should be of huge concern for Laois GAA. They have the schools and the population to be fielding teams.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Jd

From talking to people over there it seems that soccer is a huge draw for lads with the pitch right in the middle of the town whereas the Gaa is out a bit. The Rock also pull a fair few from town too so when you consider that Portlaoise dont have two clubs then I suppose its understandable that they might struggle a bit

georgedoylesrightleg

Quote from: redsetanta on October 10, 2022, 05:02:13 PM
Was over at the U15 semi final between Na Fianna Og and Mountmellick Parish Gaels over the weekend which Na Fianna Og won by 9 points.

It was my first time at Mountmellick GAA grounds and they have a good set up there with a great clubhouse, second pitch, ball wall etc.

How a town the size of that cannot field their own team is a puzzle to me. They're obviously doing great work there but the lack of underage players should be of huge concern for Laois GAA. They have the schools and the population to be fielding teams.
greater concern is theres bout 7-8 clubs involved in that final. numbers gone to shite that bad in all them clubs?

redsetanta

Portlaoise won the U15 A final by 3 points yesterday. Final score 2-05 to 0-08.

Portlaoise probably deserved the win however they got a fortutitous second goal to give them a 6 point lead at half time having played with the wind.

Na Fianna Og outscored them in the second half but having got within a point of Portlaoise couldn't get an equaliser. It always looked like they'd need a goal and their efforts in the second half to get so close took their tole and they ran out of gas.

Some decent players on view on both sides. 
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

Quote from: redsetanta on October 27, 2022, 12:37:05 PM
Portlaoise won the U15 A final by 3 points yesterday. Final score 2-05 to 0-08.

Portlaoise probably deserved the win however they got a fortutitous second goal to give them a 6 point lead at half time having played with the wind.

Na Fianna Og outscored them in the second half but having got within a point of Portlaoise couldn't get an equaliser. It always looked like they'd need a goal and their efforts in the second half to get so close took their tole and they ran out of gas.

Some decent players on view on both sides.

Portlaoise continuing on with their u13A win from 2 years ago

The key difference was the power of the portlaoise lads with most of their squad all up to the age at u15 whereas na Fianna had a fair few u14s in their team

It makes a big difference in this grade

redsetanta

Yeh, I would agree with you, and the size difference was notable with some of the match ups. Much smaller crop of young fella's to pick from for Na Fianna even though it's 3 clubs.
They gave it a right go in fairness to them.

Butch Cassidy

I read yesterday there's only 2 Laois lads playing Sigerson this year, Byron and Galvin. Bad return considering the number from other counties like Offaly playing. Sigerson is a very high standard and you'd hope more of our lads would get exposure to it. We need to keep improving our underage teams and hope the increase in GPO will lead to this

High Fielder

Are there many in college not playing Butch? You'd expect if they were, they'd be involved

clonadmad

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on December 03, 2022, 09:07:53 PM
I read yesterday there's only 2 Laois lads playing Sigerson this year, Byron and Galvin. Bad return considering the number from other counties like Offaly playing. Sigerson is a very high standard and you'd hope more of our lads would get exposure to it. We need to keep improving our underage teams and hope the increase in GPO will lead to this

Both Laois lads with Carlow and O'Flynn from Courtwood with NUIG.

Louth have 5 lads involved
Waterford 3
Fermanagh3
Limerick 3
Leitrim 5
Carlow 7
Offaly 6

Jd

Rioghan murphy probably would be but hes on a basketball scholarship with UL so isn't allowed play football

Dave like the tv channel

Laois football not in good condition. As long as we persist with 16 "senior" teams, we're only kidding ourselves.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating and we see it in Sigerson Cup squads now. Hardly any Laois footballers in a vastly expanded competition.

Our clubs are barely winning a round in Leinster competitions any more. Did Wexford reset their championships? Suddenly, they're in Leinster finals now?!?

As long as we continue with this deluded horsesh!te, we'll never improve. We need to go to all eights all the way down to whatever level of Junior we have to. If it needs to be tweaked in a few years, then do it, but for God's sakes, it needs to be fixed now.

High Fielder

It would make our Intermediate and Junior grades more competitive, and it makes no sense to have 16 senior and 8 intermediate teams; particularly when the standard is so bad. I doubt it would help to increase the overall standard though, because we're clearly not competing, and unable to compete (physically, financially, operationally, skilfully etc etc) with other counties. We're miles behind.