Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearse Blue

Quote from: Angelo on October 17, 2019, 09:32:26 PM
Quote from: delgany on October 17, 2019, 06:57:54 PM
There is only short term security in professional sports in terms of managers and coaches. At some stage , the management team is sacked and new people take over.Thats why they get paid so well.
GAA is going the same way. New manager leads to new backroom members. You have to make your mark and charge accordingly. Even in club football the gravy train keeps moving on.
What would the career span be for coaches /s &c coaches ? 10 - 15 years ?

Donnelly's role was secure enough, he was a full time registered employee of Tyrone GAA with a remit covering all the S&C needs of Tyrone underage squads up to senior. He's very highly rated which probably explains why a professional setup came and headhunted him for their gig. I don't know how many other counties employ somebody like Donnelly, Dublin probably do and a few others but I think Tyrone were ahead of the curve. In terms of fitness, conditioning and our injury record record then I think the results speak extremely positively for Donnelly but the package on offer from a professional outlet is likely one we can't come close to offering.
Personally i would want noting to do with the shower that is Ulster rugby but i understand why he did, professional set up blah blah.. My issue is that it seems he was just let go. If Leinster rugby come looking a Dublin S&C coach I don't think they would get him at all and if they did they would not get him as easy.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 18, 2019, 08:27:58 AM
There is only short term security in professional sports in terms of managers and coaches. At some stage , the management team is sacked and new people take over.Thats why they get paid so well.
GAA is going the same way. New manager leads to new backroom members. You have to make your mark and charge accordingly. Even in club football the gravy train keeps moving on.

Donnelly's role was secure enough, he was a full time registered employee of Tyrone GAA with a remit covering all the S&C needs of Tyrone underage squads up to senior. He's very highly rated which probably explains why a professional setup came and headhunted him for their gig. I don't know how many other counties employ somebody like Donnelly, Dublin probably do and a few others but I think Tyrone were ahead of the curve. In terms of fitness, conditioning and our injury record record then I think the results speak extremely positively for Donnelly but the package on offer from a professional outlet is likely one we can't come close to offering.
Personally i would want noting to do with the shower that is Ulster rugby but i understand why he did, professional set up blah blah.. My issue is that it seems he was just let go. If Leinster rugby come looking a Dublin S&C coach I don't think they would get him at all and if they did they would not get him as easy.
Dublin have a lot more money than Tyrone.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

TyroneOnlooker

Donnelly on full time contract with Tyrone. Not huge salary but probably decent in GAA circles. Ulster Rugby come calling, offer him a few grand more to do similar job, 9-5, working with academy set up, larger more professional organisation, more room for career progression. Donnelly suggests to Tyrone he could stay on and do S&C for senior team only on a part time evening basis (like vast majority of other counties outside the top tier), Tyrone say no, we want someone full time. All fair enough.
Donnelly then gets the opportunity to do the part time evening set up with Monaghan and make a few extra quid. All seems completely fair on both sides. Nothing to see here, move along.

If anything it shows Tyrone are up there with Dublin and Kerry in having the full time S&C coach and aren't content with a part timer they way Monaghan still are.

barelegs

Quote from: TyroneOnlooker on October 18, 2019, 08:42:52 AM

Donnelly on full time contract with Tyrone. Not huge salary but probably decent in GAA circles. Ulster Rugby come calling, offer him a few grand more to do similar job, 9-5, working with academy set up, larger more professional organisation, more room for career progression. Donnelly suggests to Tyrone he could stay on and do S&C for senior team only on a part time evening basis (like vast majority of other counties outside the top tier), Tyrone say no, we want someone full time. All fair enough.
Donnelly then gets the opportunity to do the part time evening set up with Monaghan and make a few extra quid. All seems completely fair on both sides. Nothing to see here, move along.

If anything it shows Tyrone are up there with Dublin and Kerry in having the full time S&C coach and aren't content with a part timer they way Monaghan still are.

Am I missing something here? Davis is only coming in on a part time basis to work with the senior team. We're going to need to go and get someone to work with the U20 and Minor teams to do the work Peter Donnelly did with them...

The reality is Tyrone have a serious problem holding on to any expertise they've got in the way of full time staff. The staff turnover in the last 12-18 months is unreal. Meanwhile we're in the process of building another white elephant at Garvaghey instead of investing in coaching for all our teams not just the elite players

Angelo

Quote from: barelegs on October 18, 2019, 09:19:56 AM

Am I missing something here? Davis is only coming in on a part time basis to work with the senior team. We're going to need to go and get someone to work with the U20 and Minor teams to do the work Peter Donnelly did with them...

The reality is Tyrone have a serious problem holding on to any expertise they've got in the way of full time staff. The staff turnover in the last 12-18 months is unreal. Meanwhile we're in the process of building another white elephant at Garvaghey instead of investing in coaching for all our teams not just the elite players

As far as I'm aware Davis being appointed to the same position with the same remit Donnelly had unless I'm missing something?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

Go on....?

southtyronegael

Heard paddy Jackson and Stuart olding will be coming with Davis to help Tyrone with their PR work.

bigtogs

Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2019, 10:00:33 AM

As far as I'm aware Davis being appointed to the same position with the same remit Donnelly had unless I'm missing something?

At that rate i hope he has his mortgage sorted.....

time ticking away

Quote from: bigtogs on October 18, 2019, 12:10:59 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2019, 10:00:33 AM

At that rate i hope he has his mortgage sorted.....

Peter Donnelly had no input into the u20s or u17s this year.
Davis will only be working with the seniors
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Jim Bob

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 18, 2019, 11:47:40 AM
Heard paddy Jackson and Stuart olding will be coming with Davis to help Tyrone with their PR work.

About as funny as Brexit !

southtyronegael

Quote from: topofthesoil on October 18, 2019, 02:15:53 PM
Mike Basset added to the management team as a selector im hearing?
seen a funny Twitter poll few months ago. Asked who should manage Tyrone next year, Mickey harte or Mike Basset? 87% said Bassett.

Angelo

The timing of the Sigerson this year could make it very difficult for Tyrone to test some new blood in the McKenna Cup.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trailer

Peter Donnelly the genius who has helped Tyrone win 38 Mckenna cups. How ever will we cope without him???
Here lads Donnelly might've been good but what did he achieve in that role with Tyrone? We've bigger problems with that other ballbag taking over the entire the county including imposing his right wing draconian religious fundamentalism on us.
Get f**king real.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: Theshooter on October 24, 2019, 02:37:51 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 24, 2019, 10:47:13 AM
Peter Donnelly the genius who has helped Tyrone win 38 Mckenna cups. How ever will we cope without him???
Here lads Donnelly might've been good but what did he achieve in that role with Tyrone? We've bigger problems with that other ballbag taking over the entire the county including imposing his right wing draconian religious fundamentalism on us.
Get f**king real.

Goodman Trailer, only about 3 weeks late
Was gunna say, where did this ant come out of...

OurKid 2.0

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 18, 2019, 03:04:11 PM
Quote from: topofthesoil on October 18, 2019, 02:15:53 PM
Mike Basset added to the management team as a selector im hearing?
seen a funny Twitter poll few months ago. Asked who should manage Tyrone next year, Mickey harte or Mike Basset? 87% said Bassett.

What did the funny twitter poll say?