Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: weareros on January 12, 2019, 05:28:24 PM
The biggest problem with SF is that they would not be able to get out of their own way in a border poll. They would not attract 1 unionist to the UI side but would entrench the majority to maintain the union just like DUP will not attract one nationalist to vote for the Union. Which is why I hope that if there is a border poll, those leading the UI side will not be hardline nationalists but people more reflective of what living like in South is today and if that is some south side posh Dubliner  who squeezes his vowels, or some rich tech nerds  who work for Google, some self satisfied arty farty from Galway and so on. The likes of Mary Lou on the other hand are already heightening tensions when all they need to do is let Brexit happen, let people in North desire to be back in Europe, give them better economic prospects and keep tribal  politics out of it. However politicians will always seek the limelight, the need to be heard and take the credit is simply too hard to resist.

Had to laugh at that... throw in Conor McGregor wannabes, the odd Eastern European and a few refugees and you have the full spectrum of demographics in the South, those that aren't just think they are

Rossfan

I'd say your knowledge of "The South" is fairly limited.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: weareros on January 12, 2019, 05:28:24 PM
The biggest problem with SF is that they would not be able to get out of their own way in a border poll.

Early contender for Gaaboard spake of the year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Lets face it, in ROI, SF are little more than a protest vote. They're a bit full of themselves in NI. Hopefully in another few years they'll disappear back into their box. 

Rossfan

And be replaced by.....?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Maybe I am missing something but blaming the DUP for a hard  Brexit, as seems likely, is pointless. From day one, it was obvious the way that Nigel and his fellow neanthardals were going to vote. There is nothing to be gained by trying to talk sense to them.
However, there is another intransigent bunch of dittos that could do well to practice what they preach and give Theresa the chance to tell the billyboys to go supposit themselves.
I am talking about the Shinners.
As things stand they have a total of 7 MPs and going by present tallies they could have tipped the balance in the Prime Minister's favour at the last ballot. It's time to forget about 1918 and all that. Matters of principle are all very well and drawing their salaries and all other allowances without earning a single penny is a neat trick if you can get away with it but I'd  think more of 2019 than 1918 right now.if there is a hard Brexit, the Shinners will be equally to blame as Arlene's lot.
Abstention me arse, it's time to get real!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

marty34

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 12, 2019, 11:58:24 PM
Maybe I am missing something but blaming the DUP for a hard  Brexit, as seems likely, is pointless. From day one, it was obvious the way that Nigel and his fellow neanthardals were going to vote. There is nothing to be gained by trying to talk sense to them.
However, there is another intransigent bunch of dittos that could do well to practice what they preach and give Theresa the chance to tell the billyboys to go supposit themselves.
As things stand they have a total of 7 MPs and going by present tallies they could have tipped the balance in the Prime Minister's favour at the last ballot. It's time to forget about 1918 and all that. Matters of principle are all very well and drawing their salaries and all other allowances without earning a single penny is a neat trick if you can get away with it but I'd  think more of 2019 than 1918 right now.if there is a hard Brexit, the Shinners will be equally to blame as Arlene's lot.

SF want to break link with England...not join it.  Their voters knew this before they voted in the last ge.  Imagine swearing an oath to the english crown.  You'd be laughed out of town.

All the FFFG types recently 'celebrating' Countess M. for doing the exact same thing 100 years earlier but now criticising the Shinners for doing the same.

red hander

Lar, this has to be the most deluded post I have ever read on this board in the 16 years I have been on it (and that includes Derry clowns talking about winning a second All Ireland). Naive doesn't even begin to describe it. WTF are they putting in the water down there in Mayo? Anybody who thinks the seven SF MPs would have any influence over that clusterfuck going on in London at the moment is a candidate for a straitjacket. My advice? Stop reading the Sindo, it will utterly rot what's left of your brain.

screenexile

Quote from: red hander on January 13, 2019, 12:28:01 AM
Lar, this has to be the most deluded post I have ever read on this board in the 16 years I have been on it (and that includes Derry clowns talking about winning a second All Ireland). Naive doesn't even begin to describe it. WTF are they putting in the water down there in Mayo? Anybody who thinks the seven SF MPs would have any influence over that clusterfuck going on in London at the moment is a candidate for a straitjacket. My advice? Stop reading the Sindo, it will utterly rot what's left of your brain.

No!! Did not happen

JPGJOHNNYG

Sf's 7 mps would have zero influence in the commons. The SNP have 35 and did have over 50 and what exactly has that done for them?

trailer

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on January 13, 2019, 01:01:34 AM
Sf's 7 mps would have zero influence in the commons. The SNP have 35 and did have over 50 and what exactly has that done for them?

No and neither do the Lib Dems or Labour, in fact nobody should be arsed turning up. Sure it's all about the votes anyway. Just let the government run ahead with whatever they want to do. Some tits on here who've zero understanding of how Parliament works.

RedHand88

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 12, 2019, 11:58:24 PM

They don't draw any salary from Westminster.

Also, why oh why would they go against abstentionism when they received their biggest ever mandate since partition on the basis that they don't enter the commons?? Its political suicide.
The fact is that northern nationalism has no interest in being represented in the house of commons. The sdlp got wiped out at the last election in favour of abstentionists, with the exception of South belfast.
SF represent nationalism exactly where it matters in this stand off, the Dáil and Brussels.

TheOptimist

Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2019, 12:49:06 AM
Quote from: red hander on January 13, 2019, 12:28:01 AM

No!! Did not happen

Correct 2001 is now 18 years ago.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: trailer on January 13, 2019, 09:11:31 AM

No and neither do the Lib Dems or Labour, in fact nobody should be arsed turning up. Sure it's all about the votes anyway. Just let the government run ahead with whatever they want to do. Some tits on here who've zero understanding of how Parliament works.

Name calling, classy enough said

seafoid

With a few Tory abstentions 7 would be the clincher
None of the Shinner objections make sense. They don't have to swear loyalty to the Queen. SD'P didn't.
They could build political relationships with sympathetic Scottish, Welsh and Labour politicians.
They are stuck in a trap they built for themselves.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU