New Armagh Manager Announced

Started by Sandy Hill, September 05, 2007, 09:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Hill

From BBC NI Sport

McDonnell is new Armagh Manager 

Peter McDonnell has been appointed to succeed Joe Kernan as Armagh county football manager.
On Wednesday night, the Armagh county board opted for McDonnell ahead of Paul Grimley and Michael McConville.

McDonnell guided Mullaghbawn to the Ulster Club title in 1995 and also achieved another provincial success with Errigal Ciaran five years later.

He then had stints with Burren and Armagh Harps before guiding Armagh U21s to this year's Ulster title.

McDonnell has a big act to follow after Kernan's historic successes with the county over the past six years.

Kernan guided Armagh to their historic All-Ireland triumph in 2002 as well as four provincial titles - including a three-in-a-row from 2004 to 2006.

Grimley was part of the Armagh backroom team for all those successes before he left Joe Kernan's backroom team 13 months ago.

Last month, Grimley resigned as assistant manager of Cavan in order to concentrate on his attempt to secure the Armagh post and he is likely to be hugely disappointed at being overlooked for the role.

There has been speculation that a number of prominent Armagh players were keen that Grimley would get the job.

McDonnell will inherit a talented squad but his first task may be to ascertain whether several experienced players wish to prolong their intercounty careers.

These include the likes of Kieran McGeeney, Oisin McConville, Paul McGrane and Enda McNulty.

Not sure I'm all that pleased about this; hope I'm proven wrong! I'm gutted for Big Paul though.

"Stercus accidit"

Redhandfan

Does that mean John Morrison will be coach of the Armagh team?

Datsun Donaghy

Quote from: Redhandfan on September 05, 2007, 10:03:08 PM
Does that mean John Morrison will be coach of the Armagh team?

Sadly No, apparently John has accepted Mickey Harte's invite for a 3 year stint.

Datsun Donaghy

I'd hoped Paul Grimley would get the nod - it would be good if he joined the backroom team but that would be wishful thinking now.

Best of luck to Peter - no doubt he will do a sterling job as we still have bucket loads of talent and he has an in depth knowledge of all those coming through the under age ranks.

Kernan_is_King

Good luck to McDonnell, he has big boots to fill.

Interesting to see how the elder players respond to this.
Big Joe - Big Future!

BroJolly

Surprised by choice. perhaps they thought McDonnel was a fresh start and Grimley was a step back, opening divisions with Cross, etc

ONeill

Had Grimley any pedigree in terms of managing a side to any noted success?

McDonnell seemed the logical and natural choice to me.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Uladh

Armagh Exile

QuoteMcDonnell is the choice although the word is that the vast majority of club delegates were in favour of Grimley but the vote was aborted when it was obvious that only about 15 were in favour of the appointment.

The above message was taken from www.orchardcounty.com
Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Surely the new manager should have been appointed with the support of the club delegates.
If the above quote is correct then I'm afraid that it does not bode well for Armagh.

ONeill

Quote from: Uladh on September 05, 2007, 11:43:16 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 05, 2007, 11:28:33 PM
McDonnell seemed the logical and natural choice to me.

on what basis?

Not surprised you don't know. (coming from the man who stated Joe definitely wasn't going/there was an executive bust-up/McAlinden's coming back....i've actually started to make a tidy profit from gambling on the opposite of what you predict...)

Speak to any manager in the managerial circuit. McDonnell is highly regarded in terms of his managerial capabilities - he's even held in high esteem in Tyrone for his achievements there! He knows the talent coming through better than anyone (a la Harte in '02). His training methods are legendary in their effectiveness and innovation. This man is the complete managerial package.

Then take a look at the other candidates. Grimley is massively overrated in Armagh. He gained a cult following during the messy divorce with big Joe. His capacity to go behind a manager's back as well as his mately approach to some of the more established members of the Armagh panel was a big no-no. Despite the widely-held opinion in Armagh that he's an 'intelligent' manager (or would make one), he's nothing of the sort.

Armagh have made an excellent and well-informed choice.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

plain man

I don't want to open a massive can of worms here, but...

We all know both county managers and many club managers get a few pound/euros for their troubles - Peter's CV looks like he is a career GAA manager -
Anyone any idea of what Armagh will be paying him? (its expenses only of course!)

Deal_Me_In

Quote from: plain man on September 06, 2007, 01:17:13 AM
I don't want to open a massive can of worms here, but...

We all know both county managers and many club managers get a few pound/euros for their troubles - Peter's CV looks like he is a career GAA manager -
Anyone any idea of what Armagh will be paying him? (its expenses only of course!)

He wont be getting anything more than expenses from the county board ;) but i am sure that there are a few men about Morgans and South Armagh that will be willing to dip into their pocket to make the whole thing a little sweeter especially if he can make armagh a top team again, which in my opinion only requires good motivation and about 2 years to replace players like McGeeney and McConville.

john mcgill

Armagh had the luxury of good choices.  Now that the appointment is made I am delighted.  Peter is successful in his private and professional life based on hard work.  He will make a positive difference to Armagh

Armagh4SamAgain

The past is past. lets look forward to good times again under McDonnell. will he bring loads of new lads in for McKenna cup? Most new managers give everybody a chance to prove themselfs.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Against the Breeze

Quote from: Armagh Exile on September 06, 2007, 12:14:44 AM
QuoteMcDonnell is the choice although the word is that the vast majority of club delegates were in favour of Grimley but the vote was aborted when it was obvious that only about 15 were in favour of the appointment.

I am not underestimating the credentials of McDonnell and his Backroom team for one minute here but the above statement that ARmagh Exile posted was repeated to me 3 or 4 times last night.  Your right it doesn't bode well for the future of Armagh football and if this is the truth you wonder is JK still running things in the county board? If it is to be believed, did he put McDonnell's name forward ahead of John Rafferty?

Grimleys set up looked very good and for one minute I do not believe that it was a step backwards.  Bringing in men with the calibre of James McCartan and Aidan O'Rourke would have only benefited Armagh and for the young players to work under these men would have brought them on a great deal! Again let me reiterate that McDonnell has a quality proven record but just something tells me that this was not as cut and dry as it was made out and if the rumblings from last nights meeting are to be believed, there are some serious questions to be answered.