driving debate

Started by pullhard, August 15, 2013, 09:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

This has been doing my head in for ages. Older drivers hovering down the motorway at 50 or flying down country lanes at 60. I believe older drivers are as dangerous as young new drivers.

In the pub the other night my mate suggested that everyone be retested every ten years. Do you think this would fair? Could it work? Would the roads be safer?

armaghniac

At the minimum people should do the  rules test every 10 years. Why not? If you know your stuff it would only take 20 mins.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh Cúchulainns

If your car gets old enough for an MOT to ensure its roadworthy then of course drivers should be retested to ensure they're roadworthy.
It would take some serious bad drivers off the road which can only be a good thing.
Its all about the Hurling.

NAG1

Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on August 15, 2013, 10:12:21 AM
If your car gets old enough for an MOT to ensure its roadworthy then of course drivers should be retested to ensure they're roadworthy.
It would take some serious bad drivers off the road which can only be a good thing.

This has nothing to do with it, bad drivers are passing their tests every day.

You have to look at the ratio of deaths on the road and look at their age profile to tell you where the problem, the actual real serious problem lies. I have no issue with someone driving at 50mph on a motorway if that's the speed they feel comfortable at then it is safe for them and other users who are paying attention.

qubdub

Driving 50mph on a motorway isn't safe and neither is 45mph for R platers.

They wonder why so many young people die from speeding, they aren't taught how to control a car at speeds beyond 45 mph!!

southdown

Slow Sunday drivers at what really gets to me

take_yer_points

Quote from: qubdub on August 15, 2013, 10:26:44 AM
They wonder why so many young people die from speeding, they aren't taught how to control a car at speeds beyond 45 mph!!

Agreed. Also, as trivial as joining a motorway is for an experienced driver, for a person who has just passed their test it is a daunting experience to join a motorway and drive on it without ever having been on it before. Learners are allowed on the westlink which is a nightmare to join in places (Clifton Street heading west or Divis heading east for example) and yet they aren't taught on a motorway

pullhard

Quote from: NAG1 on August 15, 2013, 10:15:51 AM
Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on August 15, 2013, 10:12:21 AM

This has nothing to do with it, bad drivers are passing their tests every day.

You have to look at the ratio of deaths on the road and look at their age profile to tell you where the problem, the actual real serious problem lies. I have no issue with someone driving at 50mph on a motorway if that's the speed they feel comfortable at then it is safe for them and other users who are paying attention.

I'd imagine that there is a U shaped profile with ratio of ages to accidents. Insurance companies charge according. Older people's reactions are often slower and eye sight worse resulting in very conservative and dangerous driving. On a clear motorway a car doing 50 is more dangerous than one doing 80. Such a massive speed distance compared with the surrounding traffic.

Bud Wiser

Maybe when the Port Tunnel is not being used that much on a Sunday you could arrange for all drivers over 50 to drive in, block one end and gas them?  FF's    Don't let them on escalators either in case they forget to tie their shoelaces.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

NAG1

50mph on a motor way is more than safe, it is up to the other drivers, to adjust their speed, read the road ahead and react accordingly to other drivers. Is that not what good driving is all about?

Not rallying up behind someone obviously going slightly slower than you and getting raging because shock horror they are going slightly slower than you. Adjust your speed read the road ahead and change lanes to over take.

Most young people who die on the road as you said die from speeding! It wouldnt matter how they were taught if they cant judge what speed is too fast for their level of ability. 40mph might still be too fast going round a certain bend in any road.

pullhard

Quote from: NAG1 on August 15, 2013, 10:48:18 AM

50mph on a motor way is more than safe, it is up to the other drivers, to adjust their speed, read the road ahead and react accordingly to other drivers. Is that not what good driving is all about?

Not rallying up behind someone obviously going slightly slower than you and getting raging because shock horror they are going slightly slower than you. Adjust your speed read the road ahead and change lanes to over take.

Most young people who die on the road as you said die from speeding! It wouldnt matter how they were taught if they cant judge what speed is too fast for their level of ability. 40mph might still be too fast going round a certain bend in any road.

On Normal free flowing motorway it isn't safe. I understand why people to feeling more comfortable/safer, safe money on fuel. But it is as much a problem as speeding and should be punished according. I know a lad that failed his test donig 30 in a 40 zone.

Back to the main topic, photo card licenses need to be updated every ten years, cars needs MOT. Would it be feasible to redo both tests every time you had to update the license?

ludermor

If we brought in 10 years test how would the f**kers who their licence in the amnesty in the 70s pass their test, it would be very unfair on them ....

Franko

Anyone driving a car (under normal circumstances) that gets overtaken by a HGV (limited to 56mph) is driving dangerously and should not be on a motorway.

To force a lorry to overtake (to get his/her days work done in decent time) obstructs other motorists and causes tailbacks.

Ash Smoker

If 50 is all you're comfortable doing on a motorway, then you shouldn't be on the motorway. It's no place for deficient drivers.

Ideally older drivers should be retested every 5-10 years.
However I have a couple of bachelor uncles and elderly neighbours who I know in my heart wouldn't have a hope in hell of ever passing the test.
The car is their way of staying connected with the world. They only drive the roads from their house to the town and that is about it. They'd never be near or motorway and would never want to be. It would be a tough blow to them to take them off the road.

gallsman

Quote from: NAG1 on August 15, 2013, 10:48:18 AM

50mph on a motor way is more than safe,

Not when they sit in the overtaking lane doing 50.