Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on March 02, 2021, 02:18:47 PM
Quote from: bannside on February 27, 2021, 05:46:23 PM
Quick history lesson. Football only. Pre troubles, Hogan Cup winners 69 Runners Up (with different school) in 70.

all Ireland U 21 football champions 69.

Andy McCallin won an All Star in 71. Was on record recently saying he played on good Railway Cup teams back then (when it was a massive competition played in front of a full house at Croke Pk) alongside 5 Antrim starters in the winning Ulster team

Ulster senior football finalists 68 and 70, ask the great Down players of that era did they respect Antrim. They will tell you Antrim were up there with the best.

Did the troubles hit Antrim harder than the rest. I'd argue undisputably yes

Time for reboot.

Forgot about the troubles and them being completely localised to Antrim. What is Antrim's excuse for the last 20 years?

Hurling has taken a bit of a dip but we are back in Div 1..

Football is shite sure, and by most posters on here dead
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Declan Lynch wheeled out yet again, seemingly in a Sinn Fein capacity due to the dig at Nichola Mallon, to tell us we need Casement built and it will be great to see the All Blacks play at Casement  :-\

imtommygunn

His overlap between politics and antrim gaa is a bit much to me tbh(as an antrim man). I'm an antrim person and if I were interested enough in the all blacks I could see them at ravenhill or go to the Aviva. I want to see Antrim games in front of big crowds(for antrim levels which means not 35k but 15-20k) at home so we can get ulster football matches there and can get the big guns up in the hurling if we can manage to stay there. The all blacks etc are peripheral.

Evil Genius

There's something about this whole Casement redevelopment which I don't understand.

When the original 38k capacity was first proposed by the GAA, Stormont's Safety Technical Group estimated that:

"... only only around 18,000 people could safely evacuate a redeveloped Casement in west Belfast if the Andersonstown Road was closed.
Police, fire and ambulance officials also warn that in a 'worst-case' scenario just over 11,200 fans could safely exit if cars are parked on residential streets."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/03/15/news/casement-park-emergency-services-report-highly-significant-say-residents-450296/

[Also this, which I can't read behind their paywall? https://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//news/2016/03/14/news/38-000-casement-park-could-not-be-safely-evacuated-emergency-services-say-448623/content.html ]

So if it was deemed nowhere near safe for 38k, what has changed since to make it safe for 34k?

And on what basis could Nichola Mallon now recommend that 34k go ahead?

I think I read somewhere that the GAA was going to buy some land leading out towards Stockman's Lane, so maybe that might alleviate the problem? (I don't know for certain whether they have, nor am I familiar with the area)

Anyhow, if the local residents were successful in challenging the original plan on safety grounds, could they not do so again for the new plan?

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

If you look at a Google aerial pic of those parts, it wouldn't take that much to facilitate egress towards both the M1 Stockman's lane junction and towards Finnaghy Road. If you demolish one house the width of a house would allow a lot of people flow through.
I'm not sure what was done, but I'm sure it could be done. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on March 16, 2021, 01:53:02 AM
If you look at a Google aerial pic of those parts, it wouldn't take that much to facilitate egress towards both the M1 Stockman's lane junction and towards Finnaghy Road. If you demolish one house the width of a house would allow a lot of people flow through.
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but surely it would take much more than one house demolition to get you even near to the M1/Stockmans junction. Whilst the Finaghy Road is the other direction entirely.

And in any case, would trying to evacuate (potentially) thousands of people through a house-width not just make things worse, by creating a pinch point?

And what if the emergency occurred at that point?

Quote from: armaghniac on March 16, 2021, 01:53:02 AM
I'm not sure what was done, but I'm sure it could be done.
In which case, why hasn't the GAA already done so? I mean, they've had more than 5 years since the original scheme was rejected by Judicial Review.

I'm genuinely not stirring, and I accept I may be missing something here, but it still fails to add up to me from the original safety objection.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tyrdub

Just been asked a question I couldn't answer....what was the last match played in Casement Park?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tyrdub on March 16, 2021, 01:12:13 PM
Just been asked a question I couldn't answer....what was the last match played in Casement Park?

Was it the junior final? Im not sure tbh
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tyrdub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2021, 01:43:25 PM

2 different people told me it was the Match for Michaela, but I think you're right. Just can't confirm it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tyrdub on March 18, 2021, 08:42:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2021, 01:43:25 PM

2 different people told me it was the Match for Michaela, but I think you're right. Just can't confirm it

Yeah it could have been that in fairness, that was under lights in late October? I just remember something at the time that it being a club game of sorts

lurganblue

I'm not fully up on all the facilities available in Antrim but why have the county board not enhanced one ground up to a reasonable level in all this time that Casement has been closed? Reasonable sized stand, with standing areas right round? decent floodlights.

Are they worried that if they invest in somewhere else that Casement will be forgotten about?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on March 18, 2021, 12:24:57 PM
I'm not fully up on all the facilities available in Antrim but why have the county board not enhanced one ground up to a reasonable level in all this time that Casement has been closed? Reasonable sized stand, with standing areas right round? decent floodlights.

Are they worried that if they invest in somewhere else that Casement will be forgotten about?
Corrigan has had an upgrade with new covered seats and terracing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2021, 01:23:40 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 18, 2021, 12:24:57 PM

Corrigan has had an upgrade with new covered seats and terracing.

It has, but this season will be the first since 2012 that there is a ground that can take supporters (bigger numbers wise) into a covered stand.

As good as the other grounds were during the closure of Casement, a covered stand during the winter NFL/NHL is a basic requirement

Kickham csc

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 16, 2021, 12:59:27 AM
There's something about this whole Casement redevelopment which I don't understand.

When the original 38k capacity was first proposed by the GAA, Stormont's Safety Technical Group estimated that:

"... only only around 18,000 people could safely evacuate a redeveloped Casement in west Belfast if the Andersonstown Road was closed.
Police, fire and ambulance officials also warn that in a 'worst-case' scenario just over 11,200 fans could safely exit if cars are parked on residential streets."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/03/15/news/casement-park-emergency-services-report-highly-significant-say-residents-450296/

[Also this, which I can't read behind their paywall? https://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//news/2016/03/14/news/38-000-casement-park-could-not-be-safely-evacuated-emergency-services-say-448623/content.html ]

So if it was deemed nowhere near safe for 38k, what has changed since to make it safe for 34k?

And on what basis could Nichola Mallon now recommend that 34k go ahead?

I think I read somewhere that the GAA was going to buy some land leading out towards Stockman's Lane, so maybe that might alleviate the problem? (I don't know for certain whether they have, nor am I familiar with the area)

Anyhow, if the local residents were successful in challenging the original plan on safety grounds, could they not do so again for the new plan?

I believe there was something in the redesign of the stadium where additional exit points from the stadium were designed that directed people away from Anderstown Road. I think (completely open to challenge) that the design contained two or three exit points in the residential streets that solved this particular problem, and that that redesign resulted in the capacity going from 38k to 34k