Tony Reddin, Tipp. Hurling Legend RIP

Started by Oraisteach, March 02, 2015, 01:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I hate to cast aspersions, but Rynaghs are blue and gold too. Probably a case of making everyone happy :)

Oraisteach

Oh, no, AZ, for a brief moment I held Offaly in the highest esteem, but then . . . . You burst my bubble.  Still, it was a fine gesture nonetheless, first class, and though not quite as remarkable as my ignorance imagined, a wonderful act by the people of Banagher.

doodaa

My Maths teacher and first ever hurling coach in school took me to meet Tony Reddin down in Banagher when we were on a school trip because I was the U12 goalkeeper at the time for my club.
I still have the picture with Tony and myself and his Team of the Century All Star award.
At the time I didn't realise the significance of the meeting as id only really started to hurl that year.

RIP to an absolute Gentleman.

Bord na Mona man

I enjoyed this story a lot. Some would have us believe that back then crowds went to matches in their Sunday mass suits and were highly respectful.  ;D
If anything similar happened now it would be touted as evidence that society is going to hell on a hand cart.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/ringy-received-a-punch-which-he-returned-with-some-interest--the-greatest-hurling-story-ever-told-279463.html

Oraisteach

Great story, Bord na Mona.  Mythic.  Have heard it a few times, but it never gets old with the telling.  Thanks for posting.

johnneycool

Quote from: Oraisteach on March 05, 2015, 01:39:20 PM
Great story, Bord na Mona.  Mythic.  Have heard it a few times, but it never gets old with the telling.  Thanks for posting.

Young'uns nowadays, wasn't like that in my day, everyone wore pioneer pins and went to mass the morning of a big game, eh, eh!

Great read all the same.