Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 01, 2018, 09:04:18 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on March 01, 2018, 07:13:19 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 01, 2018, 04:25:20 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on March 01, 2018, 12:18:03 PM
i dont believe a county the size of tyrone with all they underage structures and quality club football should be happy just winning ulsters.

We have only a fraction of the population of Dublin, less playing numbers, less money, don't get to play all our games at home (saving money and helping with familiarity), much less u21 success in recent years which is more relevant than minor and we don't have multiple clubs winning and competing for provincial and all ireland club titles that they have. So under what logic should we be expecting to win All Ireland's ahead of them?

That is some nonsense we didn't have any provincial and all ireland club success when we where winning all Ireland's. There is no connection between clubs success at provincial or all ireland level and county success of if there was Armagh Derry would have many more all ireland senior titles than 1. This is typical of the drivel on this board. Fact is having a competitive club scene is a plus for county as it means you have a wider pick of talent available. I don't buy this nonsense that Tyrone don't have the footballers the problem is the negative diatribe that the county senior management has inflicted on the county for 10 years which has seeped into the youth structures and club scene. The Mickey excusers on this board make me laugh with their inability to front up and admit the king has no clothes. Fools.

Just out of interest, of our starting 15, who (maybe bar Colm C) would you have on the Dublin starting team and who would you drop for him?

Benny the truth of the matter is that not one of the current Tyrone senior squad would make the current Dublin team.

Let me ask you this.... Why is it that young Tyrone players who had the skills at youth levels to compete with and beat the best are incapable of developing into senior players who are as good as the best in Ireland....and who is responsible for our lack of ability to develop these players ?

bigtogs

Quote from: SkillfulBill on March 01, 2018, 09:25:37 PM
i dont believe a county the size of tyrone with all they underage structures and quality club football should be happy just winning ulsters.

We have only a fraction of the population of Dublin, less playing numbers, less money, don't get to play all our games at home (saving money and helping with familiarity), much less u21 success in recent years which is more relevant than minor and we don't have multiple clubs winning and competing for provincial and all ireland club titles that they have. So under what logic should we be expecting to win All Ireland's ahead of them?

That is some nonsense we didn't have any provincial and all ireland club success when we where winning all Ireland's. There is no connection between clubs success at provincial or all ireland level and county success of if there was Armagh Derry would have many more all ireland senior titles than 1. This is typical of the drivel on this board. Fact is having a competitive club scene is a plus for county as it means you have a wider pick of talent available. I don't buy this nonsense that Tyrone don't have the footballers the problem is the negative diatribe that the county senior management has inflicted on the county for 10 years which has seeped into the youth structures and club scene. The Mickey excusers on this board make me laugh with their inability to front up and admit the king has no clothes. Fools.

Just out of interest, of our starting 15, who (maybe bar Colm C) would you have on the Dublin starting team and who would you drop for him?

Benny the truth of the matter is that not one of the current Tyrone senior squad would make the current Dublin team.

Let me ask you this.... Why is it that young Tyrone players who had the skills at youth levels to compete with and beat the best are incapable of developing into senior players who are as good as the best in Ireland....and who is responsible for our lack of ability to develop these players ?

When can you get the answer to that question we may get the cure....

BennyHarp

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 01, 2018, 09:08:19 PM

Are you suggesting that Colm C would make the Dublin team?

Possibly - current all star. Might have a chance if McCarthy shifted back.
That was never a square ball!!

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 01, 2018, 09:57:45 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on March 01, 2018, 09:08:19 PM

Are you suggesting that Colm C would make the Dublin team?

Possibly - current all star. Might have a chance if McCarthy shifted back.

Possibly but you still have not given me any ideas as to what could be happening to our players when the move into the senior ranks. I will open the question out to the rest of the posters on here. Any with possible theories to our inability to develop our players beyond youth level ?

BennyHarp

There's a million and one reasons for this but I'd doubt if the reason is solely one man. Until 2015 we were very poor at U21 level and hadn't reached an AI final since 2003, so the question might be what is happening between minor and U21. The fact of the matter is that everyone is struggling to keep pace with Dublin. My take on things are that 3 or 4 years ago Mickey realised that we were never going to beat Dublin man to man after a few thumping at their hands in big games, (it was interesting to hear Enda McGinley say that the Dubs were the first team they came across to actually retreat and concede every kick out) and Mickey devised a game plan, based on the Donegal system (which had success against Dublin) that was designed to make us competitive against them. Unfortunately when it came to the crunch, Dublin just were too good and had us completely sussed and to be honest made us look foolish and out dated. I don't criticise Harte for his game plan - I understand his reasoning (even though, believe or not it frustrates the hell out of me to watch it at times) but I would criticise the inability to implement a plan B or C when plan A didn't work. Surely we should have known Dublin were prepared for plan A? Anyway, I think Mickey, more than anyone knows that his game plan was flawed against the top teams now - we could have papered over the Kerry and Mayo defeats by talking about key scores missed at crucial times, Bradley's and Skeet's goal chances v Kerry or McCurry's point attempt v Mayo or poor reffing decisions, McNulty's penalty decision v Kerry. But the Dublin game showed our limitations. Mickey knows it and I think that is partly why he was so prickly with Sidebottom and he isn't the type to admit his failings on national TV. So in answer to the question, I don't know why we don't have the players we had a few years ago - maybe it was just a once in a lifetime team and we are finding our level or maybe Mickey is the sole reason why we can't beat Mayo, Kerry and Dublin, but I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt again to see if by championship time we have a tweaked system which at least might make us, if not more competitive, at least better to watch.
That was never a square ball!!

bigtogs

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 01, 2018, 10:22:37 PM

There's a million and one reasons for this but I'd doubt if the reason is solely one man. Until 2015 we were very poor at U21 level and hadn't reached an AI final since 2003, so the question might be what is happening between minor and U21. The fact of the matter is that everyone is struggling to keep pace with Dublin. My take on things are that 3 or 4 years ago Mickey realised that we were never going to beat Dublin man to man after a few thumping at their hands in big games, (it was interesting to hear Enda McGinley say that the Dubs were the first team they came across to actually retreat and concede every kick out) and Mickey devised a game plan, based on the Donegal system (which had success against Dublin) that was designed to make us competitive against them. Unfortunately when it came to the crunch, Dublin just were too good and had us completely sussed and to be honest made us look foolish and out dated. I don't criticise Harte for his game plan - I understand his reasoning (even though, believe or not it frustrates the hell out of me to watch it at times) but I would criticise the inability to implement a plan B or C when plan A didn't work. Surely we should have known Dublin were prepared for plan A? Anyway, I think Mickey, more than anyone knows that his game plan was flawed against the top teams now - we could have papered over the Kerry and Mayo defeats by talking about key scores missed at crucial times, Bradley's and Skeet's goal chances v Kerry or McCurry's point attempt v Mayo or poor reffing decisions, McNulty's penalty decision v Kerry. But the Dublin game showed our limitations. Mickey knows it and I think that is partly why he was so prickly with Sidebottom and he isn't the type to admit his failings on national TV. So in answer to the question, I don't know why we don't have the players we had a few years ago - maybe it was just a once in a lifetime team and we are finding our level or maybe Mickey is the sole reason why we can't beat Mayo, Kerry and Dublin, but I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt again to see if by championship time we have a tweaked system which at least might make us, if not more competitive, at least better to watch.

Sensible enough post.... We cant deny people are getting a little fed up with Mickey....where it is true or not true i dont know.... Mickey seems to have fingers in a lot of pies ie...sponsorship dilemma, fixture changes at short notice, Rte and puke football....

southtyronegael

all the more reason to get rid of him. what have we got to lose at this stage? even if we didnt get any all ireland finals it would be nice to watch a bit of decent football and id love to start going to games again.

SkillfulBill

Benny that is a very well thought out and rational post to my question and I suspect you do know the reason as to our lack of ability to allow these players reaching their full potential. I think you do Mickey a disservice by under estimating one man's ability to influence the direction of Tyrone football over the last Ten years. One man is solely responsible for the tactics and style of play that Tyrone has developed. There has only been one constant in the set up and the buck does stop with the manager. I have no doubt had Tyrone been at the top of the pile over the period and developed our players to their full potential then the County manager would have been rightfully lauded for it. I admire the fact that you continue to have faith in Mickey but I and many like me no longer believe in him. last year's pathetic surrender in croke park was the final straw and our Division 1 campaign to date is further evidence.

Club boi

Quote from: SkillfulBill on March 01, 2018, 10:49:26 PM

Benny that is a very well thought out and rational post to my question and I suspect you do know the reason as to our lack of ability to allow these players reaching their full potential. I think you do Mickey a disservice by under estimating one man's ability to influence the direction of Tyrone football over the last Ten years. One man is solely responsible for the tactics and style of play that Tyrone has developed. There has only been one constant in the set up and the buck does stop with the manager. I have no doubt had Tyrone been at the top of the pile over the period and developed our players to their full potential then the County manager would have been rightfully lauded for it. I admire the fact that you continue to have faith in Mickey but I and many like me no longer believe in him. last year's pathetic surrender in croke park was the final straw and our Division 1 campaign to date is further evidence.

+ 1 SkillfulBill

Galer

As a matter of interest is there any credible candidates?People of successful underage managers are not up to managing man eg derry.also the shrewd man would never be the man after the man.so p rouse looks like your number 1 choice?

Thebigdog

Quote from: Galer on March 04, 2018, 06:17:26 PM
As a matter of interest is there any credible candidates?People of successful underage managers are not up to managing man eg derry.also the shrewd man would never be the man after the man.so p rouse looks like your number 1 choice?
I think at this stage we just want the head of the serpent on a plate and then start the job of getting a man in. The Tyrone job is very prestigious so many men out theie would see it as an honour to take this great county.

Galer

No doubt that most managers in ulster would take the job,but how many have the cv and ability to do it.you are down to a handful of people capable and i cant think of any tryone men with the cv behind them

longballin

southtyronegael

im still going with mc gleenan. will be a hard job for anyone to take over after the mess harte is gonna leave.

LeoMc

Who will take it on, play more attractive football and reach the All Ireland semi final without interfering in club fixtures.
That has to be the baseline.