Buying a car

Started by JimStynes, October 14, 2012, 06:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Havent a clue about cars or how to go about buying one.

On the lookout for one, my megane has started to play up so I am looking to get rid of it ASAP. Was thinking of a Audi a4 or a3. The other half saw a nice bmw 1 series. Is it best to buy off the Audi garage if I am looking to trade my car in?

lawnseed

buy a toyota.. the older the better. they are not the most attractive or the fastest and they are not the easiest on juice but you can drive them forever..
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

5 Sams

Quote from: lawnseed on October 14, 2012, 08:36:05 PM
buy a toyota.. the older the better. they are not the most attractive or the fastest and they are not the easiest on juice but you can drive them forever..

I know fcuk all about cars either but the amount of people who have said the same to me about Toyotas says it all.
The Aristocrat Years

The Worker

Any truth an 07 golf or newer cant take red diesel?

theskull1

Doesnt appear to be a diesel car out there that (at 50k+ miles) hasnt been designed to fail at regular enough intervals requiring expensive parts plus labour to fix

Clutches, flywheels, egr's, inlet manifolds, particulate filters ... all common parts which give bother never mind the individual suspension/brake/electrical gremlins

For 3/4 year old diesel motors now...I wouldnt have a clue what car is standing up better than the others
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

stew

Quote from: JimStynes on October 14, 2012, 06:48:53 PM

On the lookout for one, my megane has started to play up so I am looking to get rid of it ASAP. Was thinking of a Audi a4 or a3. The other half saw a nice bmw 1 series. Is it best to buy off the Audi garage if I am looking to trade my car in?

Start looking at them a week before the end of the month...show up and show a bit of interest and leave...........with four days to go before months end show up again and peak their interest.........................with two days to months end show up and offer a low low price  and then leave again.......on the last day of the month you will have yourself a new car provided you were not unrealistic. Thats the way I buy my vehicles and it works!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

JimStynes

A mechanic told me the other day that he would rather have a petrol car now as the diesel men have fucked the whole thing up with bad diesel and it's wrecking half the cars in the country. He said petrol takes a little bit more looking after but there is less that can go with them.

lawnseed

Quote from: stew on October 14, 2012, 10:32:08 PM

Start looking at them a week before the end of the month...show up and show a bit of interest and leave...........with four days to go before months end show up again and peak their interest.........................with two days to months end show up and offer a low low price  and then leave again.......on the last day of the month you will have yourself a new car provided you were not unrealistic. Thats the way I buy my vehicles and it works!
be careful you dont hit by a spanner it could just be the wrong time of the month
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

JimStynes

Quote from: stew on October 14, 2012, 10:32:08 PM

I'll make them an offer they cant refuse!

tyrone girl

Getting rid of my megane also. Worst thing i ever bought and i was warned enough times about buying it but went ahead anyway. Injectors have broke my heart.
Anyway Toyota Corollas what im getting now. Everyones telling me go with Toyota so for once im gonna listen to some advice from people who have an idea what they are talking about!

fitzroyalty

Him you should get a Toyota yaris even a monkey could drive it without writing it off!

theskull1

Quote from: JimStynes on October 14, 2012, 10:43:02 PM
A mechanic told me the other day that he would rather have a petrol car now as the diesel men have fucked the whole thing up with bad diesel and it's wrecking half the cars in the country. He said petrol takes a little bit more looking after but there is less that can go with them.

My mechanic is of the same opinion IF you dont do big miles

Bad diesel is one side of it but another massive factor is the bolt on design changes to meeting euro 4/5 emissions target.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

clarshack

Quote from: tyrone girl on October 14, 2012, 11:51:03 PM
Getting rid of my megane also. Worst thing i ever bought and i was warned enough times about buying it but went ahead anyway. Injectors have broke my heart.
Anyway Toyota Corollas what im getting now. Everyones telling me go with Toyota so for once im gonna listen to some advice from people who have an idea what they are talking about!

got rid of my renault scenic (diesel) recently. it was the worst car i've ever bought. now back on petrol and a lot happier  :)

aontroim

Honda are now appearing in used car surveys as more reliable than Toyota and my mechanic would back this opinion up - get yourself a 5yr old or newer Civic / Accord petrol if you're not doing 20k+ miles a year and you'll not go far wrong. 

Denn Forever

Where did you buy your Megane?  Would you go back?

Who services your car?  If it is not a main dealer, what does your mechanic recommend?  Could they help you source a car?

Is there an independent car dealer (one who sells and services all brands of cars) near you?  I would imagine with the soft market out there there would be good deals out there.

As people have said here, Japanese cars (Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mazda) seem to run forever.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...