Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

Quote from: barnish oggie on December 02, 2022, 08:48:58 AM
Quote from: Gold on December 02, 2022, 12:32:56 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on December 01, 2022, 07:15:54 PM
Am I the only one who wasn't that impressed with Cargin against Glen. I watched it twice and felt that Cargin weren't anywhere near their best. They should have attacked more and went after the game. Nearly felt like that they were trying to stay in it rather than go and win it!

Totally agree. 2 shots in 1st half makes Jimmy McGuinness' Donegal of 2011 look attacking....but for missed 1 on 1s and shlt after shot from Glen kicked wide under little pressure Cargin could've been blown out of it. Catching marks and not even looking to kick it  forward was destined for a slow death

Cargin could have had more of a go and should have done. Can't win a fight by ducking away from shots, you have to throw a dig

Forwards were poor...only Kobo (unbelievable footballer), O neill and Bradley when he came on were fit to break lines...which is what you need at this level

The young lads need put on serious weight programmes to maximise potential, and really punch at that level, especially Shivers who is a tall man and has the time on his side to add power and fitness to a game reliant on natural talent at present

Last 4 in Ulster is some achievement,  just feel they will be gutted they didn't have a real go

Is it a lack of fitness or just a lack of a desire to work?

Late in the second half he lost the ball in the right corner and just watched his man break away with the ball without making any effort to tackle.

Incredibly talented but looks so lazy, so hopefully it is just fitness and with improvement on that he steps up, as he would be a great addition to the county team if he had a higher work rate.
Lets hope never reads this board, a 21 year old leading the line in an Ulster Club semi final but gets slaughtered on here for his performance, fitness and conditioning. Catch a grip lads.
Gold not sure if your post is patronising but I recall a glowing tribute you gave Creggan last year when they lost at the first hurdle to Clann Eireann. Cargin are held to different standards on here obviously, painful stuff reading this dross. My last post on this issue, anyone for the McKenna Cup  :D

JimStynes

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on December 02, 2022, 09:11:08 AM
Some big experts on cargin now and game plans and not going for it as such.Last week it was a matter of Glen turning up just for a comfortable win. I can tell you Cargin played well no matter about everyone's negativity and brought the game down to injury time. You can all have a go at us next year and see how you all fair out, Bring it on.

Depends what way you read it. I said Cargin weren't at their best and speaking to one of their players the other day they felt the same way! They could have beaten Glen the other day! But go on ahead and take it as an insult on the whole of Cargin club. Pin the comments up on the changing room wall. But really all the Cargin players I know don't have the chip on their supporters from the Gaaboard do.

Milltown Row2

Teams at the top will always have ones giving them a dig, get over it, take it as a positive, could be worse, you could be my club ;D

Also plenty of posters have digs at players on this site, that's a given unfortunately, they may not say these things face to face but have a free shot on here

Some positives and some negatives to take in any game, the season is over so hopefully the County team can give us something to look forward to.

I'll take a dander down next week and have run my eye over a bunch of lads doing a bit of individual training  8)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Zero truth in that one whatsoever! Best to upgrade your sources G&T...lol.

Said person quite content to hang over the fence and watch PG1 hopefully evolve into a serious contender in the next few years.  Beyond that with even greater expectation when a new batch of even greater quality emerges from the excellent work being done at juvenile level.

Starting with 2022 Antrim Og Sport winners who lost narrowly in extra time to Ulster champions Eglish. That's the start of what I confidently predict will be a very exciting period around Portglenone.

Hopefully by then we are all seeing the benefit of increased activity (quality and quantity) across the county feeding into a much enhanced county juvenile set up at county level too.

Lots to be optimistic about....

Spike

Don't be putting pressure on them BS.  A fancied Portglenone team i saw were dumped out in the early rounds of a youth blitz over the summer and their conduct at such a result was more of Prima donnas than playing for the love of the game.  You have first-hand experience with Sean Stinsons that winning loads at underage with a good team, and inflating their egos does not always result in a battle hardened Senior team.

Let the kids develop in their own time without the pressure of having to be the club's saviours.   

Flanker

Am I the only one who wasn't that impressed with Cargin against Glen. I watched it twice and felt that Cargin weren't anywhere near their best. They should have attacked more and went after the game. Nearly felt like that they were trying to stay in it rather than go and win it!

Totally agree. 2 shots in 1st half makes Jimmy McGuinness' Donegal of 2011 look attacking....but for missed 1 on 1s and shlt after shot from Glen kicked wide under little pressure Cargin could've been blown out of it. Catching marks and not even looking to kick it  forward was destined for a slow death

Cargin could have had more of a go and should have done. Can't win a fight by ducking away from shots, you have to throw a dig

Forwards were poor...only Kobo (unbelievable footballer), O neill and Bradley when he came on were fit to break lines...which is what you need at this level

The young lads need put on serious weight programmes to maximise potential, and really punch at that level, especially Shivers who is a tall man and has the time on his side to add power and fitness to a game reliant on natural talent at present

Last 4 in Ulster is some achievement,  just feel they will be gutted they didn't have a real go

Late in the second half he lost the ball in the right corner and just watched his man break away with the ball without making any effort to tackle.

Incredibly talented but looks so lazy, so hopefully it is just fitness and with improvement on that he steps up, as he would be a great addition to the county team if he had a higher work rate.
Barnish that's a pretty cheap shot.

In case you hadn't noticed he was one of the better performers in the Tailtean Cup defeat to Leitrim.

In case you hadn't noticed he was being used as a target for kickouts in the first half against the wind competing quite sucessfully in an area with an all star midfielder and some other serious operators. (Part of a reasonably successful kick out strategy).
He was then being used as a target inside, so late in the second half against a hard running, well conditioned opposition in an ulster senior club semi final you might understand that the legs might not do what the head might want them to do.

You might be better focusing your efforts on some of those underage C teams developing talent, discipline and conditioning as I don't think there are any plans for a D league.

bannside

I'm not putting pressure on them Spike, in fact I dont have any real interaction with them at all, and I'd be surprised if any of them were on Gaaboard!

I really like what I see, best to leave it at that...in any event, time will indeed tell if my opinion turns out to be correct or turn to horse manure.

imtommygunn

BS I always admire your optimism!

Also love this wee video from the sponsorship stuff:...https://twitter.com/StephenJ_Reid/status/1598343006943330304

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 02, 2022, 01:29:13 PM
BS I always admire your optimism!

Also love this wee video from the sponsorship stuff:...https://twitter.com/StephenJ_Reid/status/1598343006943330304

All those hurlers in Whitehead!! one of the images at the start

All joking aside, fantastic stuff from everyone involved with getting sponsorship during these times, otherwise the preparation required to get them to a competitive level is not available
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

barnish oggie

Quote from: Flanker on December 02, 2022, 12:39:38 PM

Barnish that's a pretty cheap shot.

In case you hadn't noticed he was one of the better performers in the Tailtean Cup defeat to Leitrim.

In case you hadn't noticed he was being used as a target for kickouts in the first half against the wind competing quite sucessfully in an area with an all star midfielder and some other serious operators. (Part of a reasonably successful kick out strategy).
He was then being used as a target inside, so late in the second half against a hard running, well conditioned opposition in an ulster senior club semi final you might understand that the legs might not do what the head might want them to do.

You might be better focusing your efforts on some of those underage C teams developing talent, discipline and conditioning as I don't think there are any plans for a D league.

Like a broken record you.

Funny you never seem to put your own contributions to any club on here.

Easier to mouth off about some perceived mindset in my club, without stating anything about your club or what you contribute to them.

Hardly a cheap shot but then again, it seems you only post to have a cheap shot in the first place.

Maybe you username is a misspelling and you should replace the first two letters with one.

I have seen Pat play more than just that match and as I said earlier, an incredible talent, there are many in this country could only wish to have feet like his and his physical attributes.

I, and others I have spoken to, just feel that he comes across as lazy at times.

Maybe when you see the work rate of the likes of Tomas beside him, who has a good few years on him, then it reflects badly on him.

My opinion, and that of others as I say, and we are perfectly entitled to have that opinion until we see evidence to the contrary.

But then sure didn't the great Maurice Fitz get the same reputation and he wasn't a bad footballer!

Spike

One thing about Sunday is that the fitness levels of these fellas are incredible. If Pat is in MeEntee's plans then I have no doubts a fitness s&c programme has been put to him by now.  He is still a youngster with a large frame to carry, essential he keeps on it and building year on year.

barnish oggie

Quote from: Spike on December 02, 2022, 02:50:43 PM
One thing about Sunday is that the fitness levels of these fellas are incredible. If Pat is in MeEntee's plans then I have no doubts a fitness s&c programme has been put to him by now.  He is still a youngster with a large frame to carry, essential he keeps on it and building year on year.

It would be criminal if he wasn't considered part of the plans so here's hoping.

country bumpkin

Quote from: country bumpkin on December 02, 2022, 08:05:46 AM

Jeez Gold you so seemwell aware of the requirements of life on the fast lane on the Ulster Way...

Am sure RD and the lads would be grateful of such musings when they set about ascending the same steep trail 2023.....ty

Yep, proud of our lads and team management in their progress last year....
How man giving advice have experienced an Ulster club semi final......yabba etc hasn't...
Negativity from begrudgers like the Breathe poster

country bumpkin

All that glitters is not GOLD often I have heard that told.

Belfast GAA man

U country boys love a Barny !
When first national league match ?