Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Ruairi McCann player of championship for me, was unmarkable and must have ended with 6/7 goals. A stallion of a man.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

delgany

Quote from: Saul goodman on October 10, 2022, 07:30:27 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on October 10, 2022, 05:29:51 PM
Aghagallon haven't long to lick their wounds, relegation play off on Friday night v All Saints. Surely a foregone conclusion but of course you never know.

Does anyone know if aghagallon as senior championship finalists get seeded again along with the 3 other 3 semi finalists? If they lose to ballymena I thought they will be relegated to div 2 and drop out of senior championship but unsure if that still stands given they have done enough to be seeded in senior championship next year
Afaik, the top 4 in the league are seeded for championship.
Aghagallon would have option of playing SFC or ask to be re graded to IFC  if they lost play off with Ballymena for 2023.

stiffler

Quote from: delgany on October 10, 2022, 07:40:08 PM
Aghagallon haven't long to lick their wounds, relegation play off on Friday night v All Saints. Surely a foregone conclusion but of course you never know.

Does anyone know if aghagallon as senior championship finalists get seeded again along with the 3 other 3 semi finalists? If they lose to ballymena I thought they will be relegated to div 2 and drop out of senior championship but unsure if that still stands given they have done enough to be seeded in senior championship next year

Aghagallon would have option of playing SFC or ask to be re graded to IFC  if they lost play off with Ballymena for 2023.

It has been semi finalists in the championship for a number of years. Wasn't aware of a change.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

JimStynes

Football's a pain in the hole 🤦🏻‍♂️

themac_23

Quote from: delgany on October 10, 2022, 07:40:08 PM

no chance of getting rid of the farcical groups and back to straight knock out then?

EOC1923

Get rid of the group stages, they are not working. League kick off in mid April, finish at end of August. Then straight into a knockout championship with the 4 teams seeded (Seed 1 and 4 on one side of draw, 2 and 3 on the other side). Plus no relegation playoffs, bottom 2 go down and top 2 go up.

barnish oggie

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 10, 2022, 03:20:55 PM
Quote from: barnish oggie on October 10, 2022, 12:25:46 PM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on October 10, 2022, 10:27:53 AM
Went to yesterdays game, by god it was wet. Cargin deserved their win, Aghagallon can be proud of their effort, they had a great chance and hadn't the overall quality to win it. In truth their keeper cost them big time. Luke Mulholland some miss for them. Cargin showed great resolve and overall were a better team. The ref was crap, period. He denied Cargin two stone wall penalties, any ref who does that in final deserves criticism. For my part I will have to visit the in laws some time so gonna get it out of the way this week. Dunloy handed out a four pt stuffing. Their senior hurling forwards bringing senior pace to intermediate level football. Magees very poor.

Would agree with all of that.

I would add though that i thought Aghagallon should have had a penalty for Ruairi McCann being pulled to the ground.

Even as the ball was worked away he was still being held onto the ground by Crozier.

Clear as day, well as clear as you could see in that weather!

Not even 2 minutes later Tomas went down under far less of a challenge and got his free on the 45.

Once Cargin got the momentum after the 2nd half goal Aghagallon couldn't break it with a point.

The kick outs sunk them as they just couldn't get the ball out and Cargin chipped away at the points.

Watched that game again third time but failed to see Aghagallons pe shout ....better reception on Whitehill.

But having been the 're yesterday can only say mutual respect between the teams and respective support base was more than evident.

Only took a nod to agree on clash of jersey beforehand and not a stubborn stance employed on other such occassions..

I was there so reception in Whitehill wouldn't have mattered.

As a neutral I know what i saw, not only was the man fouled but the foul continued as Cargin broke out with the ball.

In any case, it'll hardly matter now, Aghagallon will hardly be looking back on that as the reason why they lost

Milltown Row2

When the games is that frenetic its hard to regain or get composure and that is the main reason why St Mary's lost out on Sunday, having been there and done it in the past Cargin could draw on the leaders of the team to get a foothold in the game and then go on and win it.

There was a lot of 50/50 calls both teams would have felt didn't go their way and that's going to happen, also a lot of that down to the conditions too in fairness, but the best team over the whole period of the game won out. Plenty of time to dust themselves down and get back to Corrigan and face the Donegal champions

Hopefully the weather is kinder and brighter for some!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

Quote from: barnish oggie on October 11, 2022, 08:13:15 AM
Went to yesterdays game, by god it was wet. Cargin deserved their win, Aghagallon can be proud of their effort, they had a great chance and hadn't the overall quality to win it. In truth their keeper cost them big time. Luke Mulholland some miss for them. Cargin showed great resolve and overall were a better team. The ref was crap, period. He denied Cargin two stone wall penalties, any ref who does that in final deserves criticism. For my part I will have to visit the in laws some time so gonna get it out of the way this week. Dunloy handed out a four pt stuffing. Their senior hurling forwards bringing senior pace to intermediate level football. Magees very poor.

I would add though that i thought Aghagallon should have had a penalty for Ruairi McCann being pulled to the ground.

Even as the ball was worked away he was still being held onto the ground by Crozier.

Not even 2 minutes later Tomas went down under far less of a challenge and got his free on the 45.

Once Cargin got the momentum after the 2nd half goal Aghagallon couldn't break it with a point.

The kick outs sunk them as they just couldn't get the ball out and Cargin chipped away at the points.

Watched that game again third time but failed to see Aghagallons pe shout ....better reception on Whitehill.

But having been the 're yesterday can only say mutual respect between the teams and respective support base was more than evident.

Only took a nod to agree on clash of jersey beforehand and not a stubborn stance employed on other such occassions..

As a neutral I know what i saw, not only was the man fouled but the foul continued as Cargin broke out with the ball.

In any case, it'll hardly matter now, Aghagallon will hardly be looking back on that as the reason why they lost

You were that eagle eyed you missed the Cargin stone wallers on Sean O'Neill in 1st half and Tomas McCann in extra time.  The event you speak of wasn't even a discussion point for Aghagallon supporters at the game but was for you - the 'neutral'.   People see what they want or hope to see obviously.      The ref was in and out, tough conditions, lots of spilled balls, let some stuff go and some not. 

Aghagallon need to regroup this week and get focused on this playoff.  Important to not to let the highs and lows of Sunday's events derail their progress which a sojourn in Div 2 could possibly do.

Dunsilly King

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 11, 2022, 07:56:53 AM
Get rid of the group stages, they are not working. League kick off in mid April, finish at end of August. Then straight into a knockout championship with the 4 teams seeded (Seed 1 and 4 on one side of draw, 2 and 3 on the other side). Plus no relegation playoffs, bottom 2 go down and top 2 go up.

That means you will not have a county player playing in the league, which translates to you having your county player play one game in the season for you if your beat in the first round to playing four games for you if win the title. ?????

barnish oggie

Quote from: Spike on October 11, 2022, 09:54:27 AM
Quote from: barnish oggie on October 11, 2022, 08:13:15 AM

You were that eagle eyed you missed the Cargin stone wallers on Sean O'Neill in 1st half and Tomas McCann in extra time.  The event you speak of wasn't even a discussion point for Aghagallon supporters at the game but was for you - the 'neutral'.   People see what they want or hope to see obviously.      The ref was in and out, tough conditions, lots of spilled balls, let some stuff go and some not. 

Aghagallon need to regroup this week and get focused on this playoff.  Important to not to let the highs and lows of Sunday's events derail their progress which a sojourn in Div 2 could possibly do.

Where did i say i missed the cargin ones?

Maybe you are seeing what you want to see by putting words into my mouth.

It certainly was a discussion point in the section of the terrace i was in, so maybe we just agree to disagree.

I had no horse in the race and was just there to watch a good game, so i call it as i see it.

Would have been less neutral last year but this year it didn't bother me either way who won it, but Cargin deserved their win for the second half performance.

Experience was key and they never panicked despite the deficit.

Great game for everyone to watch despite the conditions.

Spike

conditions were tough and credit due to st johns who had the pitch in good order.  Couldn't do anything about the weather, terraces gave a good vantage point.  Seen a few souls across on the grass embankment which must have been slippy as well.   

JimStynes

I thought the crowd was about the half the attendance of last year though.

Saul goodman

Crowd was way smaller this year only a handful of people on the grass bank compared to last year

EOC1923

Quote from: JimStynes on October 11, 2022, 12:56:28 PM
I thought the crowd was about the half the attendance of last year though.
People wrongly thought it was a foregone conclusion this year, wouldn't of been many neutrals there, I didn't notice many anyway