Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunsilly King

Keeper definitely MOM, I heard he is from Crossmaglen. If Glenravel had of went zonal on Dunloys KO they would have done better as Dunloys keeper didn't look like he was up much for shorts.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunsilly King on October 10, 2022, 10:43:22 AM
Keeper definitely MOM, I heard he is from Crossmaglen. If Glenravel had of went zonal on Dunloys KO they would have done better as Dunloys keeper didn't look like he was up much for shorts.

In fairness Dunloy won a lot of kick outs and played the ball straight away to runners.

The start is what won it also they came out of the blocks flying

As for yesterdays final, it was strange that Cargin looked so open for the goals, as they never give that much space, but once they started to build momentum in the second half and win more scrappy ball then there was only going to be one winner..

They needed the goal though and who better than Mick to come up with that score. For the conditions to be as bad as it was they served up a great game, I had a soaking at juvenile game that morning so was not going for a second at Corrigan , seemed to be space in that seated stand that wasn't being used..

St Mary's won't be going away, 2 finals in a row and huge improvement from a young enough team could well set them up again for next year and if they get another kind draw could be back again
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

It was a strangely enthralling game yesterday between Aghagallon and Cargin.  At times both supporters were watching through their fingers a game played in challenging conditions but with blood and thunder from both sides as every single ball was contested with ferocity.   Football can be a strange game and i agree that aghagallon's huge lead seemed to become a millstone as Cargin chipped away at the lead and the pressure grew and grew.  As we all know, when the pressure is on is when mistakes are most likely made and the heroes step up and raise their game.   

Credit to both teams. Cargin for not folding from the massive set backs, and Aghagallon for their fearless attitude and resetting themselves to get the equalising point.   Aghagallon have a full forward line that would be a handful for anyone, once they are able to add more variety and scores from the other lines, then they will hard to stop.    It has been an intriguing Antrim championship this year, not much between the teams.

bogball88

barnish oggie

Quote from: Dunsilly King on October 10, 2022, 10:27:53 AM
Went to yesterdays game, by god it was wet. Cargin deserved their win, Aghagallon can be proud of their effort, they had a great chance and hadn't the overall quality to win it. In truth their keeper cost them big time. Luke Mulholland some miss for them. Cargin showed great resolve and overall were a better team. The ref was crap, period. He denied Cargin two stone wall penalties, any ref who does that in final deserves criticism. For my part I will have to visit the in laws some time so gonna get it out of the way this week. Dunloy handed out a four pt stuffing. Their senior hurling forwards bringing senior pace to intermediate level football. Magees very poor.

Would agree with all of that.

I would add though that i thought Aghagallon should have had a penalty for Ruairi McCann being pulled to the ground.

Even as the ball was worked away he was still being held onto the ground by Crozier.

Clear as day, well as clear as you could see in that weather!

Not even 2 minutes later Tomas went down under far less of a challenge and got his free on the 45.

Once Cargin got the momentum after the 2nd half goal Aghagallon couldn't break it with a point.

The kick outs sunk them as they just couldn't get the ball out and Cargin chipped away at the points.

country bumpkin

Quote from: barnish oggie on October 10, 2022, 12:25:46 PM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on October 10, 2022, 10:27:53 AM
Went to yesterdays game, by god it was wet. Cargin deserved their win, Aghagallon can be proud of their effort, they had a great chance and hadn't the overall quality to win it. In truth their keeper cost them big time. Luke Mulholland some miss for them. Cargin showed great resolve and overall were a better team. The ref was crap, period. He denied Cargin two stone wall penalties, any ref who does that in final deserves criticism. For my part I will have to visit the in laws some time so gonna get it out of the way this week. Dunloy handed out a four pt stuffing. Their senior hurling forwards bringing senior pace to intermediate level football. Magees very poor.

Would agree with all of that.

I would add though that i thought Aghagallon should have had a penalty for Ruairi McCann being pulled to the ground.

Even as the ball was worked away he was still being held onto the ground by Crozier.

Clear as day, well as clear as you could see in that weather!

Not even 2 minutes later Tomas went down under far less of a challenge and got his free on the 45.

Once Cargin got the momentum after the 2nd half goal Aghagallon couldn't break it with a point.

The kick outs sunk them as they just couldn't get the ball out and Cargin chipped away at the points.

Watched that game again third time but failed to see Aghagallons pe shout ....better reception on Whitehill.

But having been the 're yesterday can only say mutual respect between the teams and respective support base was more than evident.

Only took a nod to agree on clash of jersey beforehand and not a stubborn stance employed on other such occassions..

123Bigball

Correct me if I'm wrong but  did them 2 clubs not play each other for at least 60 years without a clash of jerseys been mentioned until last year?  Seem to recall watching them both play in home jerseys over the years.

And did cargin not only get black tops in last few seasons to remember the magpie club first founded in the area?

As I say I could be wrong and you would have more knowledge than most on this I'm sure. 

EOC1923

Aghagallon haven't long to lick their wounds, relegation play off on Friday night v All Saints. Surely a foregone conclusion but of course you never know.

123Bigball

Surely should have fitted in somewhere before championship came to an end or even started. Hard for both teams. Tough week for Aghagallon and how long since All saints have had a competitive game.

bannside

If you were asked to choose one man for player of the championship?

James Laverty would be my choice, by a fair bit. He was superb in three games I saw him.

Cargins year picked up very noticeably when James and Mick came back. Anyone want to suggest who was runner up..lol.

123Bigball

Gerard MC Cann put in some big performances

EOC1923

Ruairi McCann
Eunan Walsh
John McNabb
James Laverty
Kevin O Boyle
Other Ruari McCann Creggan though quiet semi but strong group performances

bannside

One man one vote didn't last long lol.

JimStynes

Quote from: bannside on October 10, 2022, 06:37:24 PM
One man one vote didn't last long lol.

Eunan Walsh for us overall I'd say. Big Ruairi was injured for most of the league but was good in the championship. Young players like Ciaran Maginnis is only 18 and has played like a season senior football. He was excellent yesterday as well.

Saul goodman

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 10, 2022, 05:29:51 PM
Aghagallon haven't long to lick their wounds, relegation play off on Friday night v All Saints. Surely a foregone conclusion but of course you never know.

Does anyone know if aghagallon as senior championship finalists get seeded again along with the 3 other 3 semi finalists? If they lose to ballymena I thought they will be relegated to div 2 and drop out of senior championship but unsure if that still stands given they have done enough to be seeded in senior championship next year