Monaghan v Derry USFC SF Sunday May15th 16.00

Started by Main Street, May 02, 2022, 04:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 15, 2022, 05:46:21 PM
I'd be worried if i was from Donegal. That Derry team are very focused and determined. Men on a mission.

We probably should have beaten Donegal last year but for a small lack of belief which shouldn't happen this time.

Donegal have improved though and it's a final so who knows but I'm just so happy we're back challenging again it's given the whole county a lift!

bennydorano

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 15, 2022, 04:36:41 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 15, 2022, 03:12:42 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 15, 2022, 12:28:02 PM
I think today will see a changing of the guard. Strongly fancy Derry to follow up the Tyrone win with another convincing win.

Jesus Christ.

Not even going to delete this. Fair play.
Derry players seem to have parked their club matters above all else mentality and bought into what Rory Gallagher is selling, that combined with huge talent and superb organisation & tactics makes them a serious outfit. I think Monaghan are running on fumes at this stage, well fit for anyone on their day but definitely on the wane.

Donegal will be a different kettle of fish, they've more to offer up front and could unpick that Derry defence, but then again Bonner wouldn't inspire huge confidence on the Donegal line.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: screenexile on May 15, 2022, 05:52:13 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 15, 2022, 05:46:21 PM
I'd be worried if i was from Donegal. That Derry team are very focused and determined. Men on a mission.

We probably should have beaten Donegal last year but for a small lack of belief which shouldn't happen this time.

Donegal have improved though
and it's a final so who knows but I'm just so happy we're back challenging again it's given the whole county a lift!
That's debatable. For long stages there was nothing between themselves and Cavan and won with two goals that a well organised Derry defence will hardly concede.

OakLeaf

Great performance from Doire. Gough gave us nothing in the second half. Yellow cards for Derry and nothing for Monaghan for exactly the same tackles. Now for Donegal..... another step up in class.

clarshack

Very poor 1st half proved costly for Monaghan. Derry have become masters of the dark arts under Gallagher therefore it was always going to be hard for Monaghan to pull it back in the 2nd half but they gave it a good enough go tbf.

general_lee

Well done Derry. Set the tempo of the game and dictated it for most of the match. Would be refreshing to see them win the final.

screenexile

Quote from: clarshack on May 15, 2022, 06:10:34 PM
Very poor 1st half proved costly for Monaghan. Derry have become masters of the dark arts under Gallagher therefore it was always going to be hard for Monaghan to pull it back in the 2nd half but they gave it a good enough go tbf.

Curious about the dark arts?? Were any of the Monaghan players targeted in the wrong way? Yeah there was the odd foul to break up an attack but that's pretty standard practice nowadays?

An Watcher

Jesus lads but derry are hard to watch.  Just when I thought we were getting away from the defensive stuff.  Donegal are fairly defensive too.  Not looking forward to the final

screenexile

Quote from: An Watcher on May 15, 2022, 06:41:33 PM
Jesus lads but derry are hard to watch.  Just when I thought we were getting away from the defensive stuff.  Donegal are fairly defensive too.  Not looking forward to the final

3-12 and 1-18 in our last few matches... surely that's always the way it was going to go concede little and make sure you score plenty at the other end.

To be honest I didn't think we'd the players to put up those scores but I'm glad we do!

imtommygunn

It will be interesting how Derry unfold the rest of the year. The way they play is the way successful teams played a few years ago and the better teams worked it out. Donegal will be very interesting because I think Derry will just play the same way so it is up to Bonner to figure them out and I am not convinced he has it in him. McKaigue will probably nullify McBrearty but it will be interesting to see what is done about Murphy.

charlieTully

Quote from: An Watcher on May 15, 2022, 06:41:33 PM

Found them seriously impressive. Look like bagging a goal every time they break. Brilliant. Hope they win ulster.

Throw ball

Quote from: OakLeaf on May 15, 2022, 06:08:08 PM
Great performance from Doire. Gough gave us nothing in the second half. Yellow cards for Derry and nothing for Monaghan for exactly the same tackles. Now for Donegal..... another step up in class.

Think you need to get your red tinted glasses changed. Gough made a few iffy decisions but thought he was fair to both teams.

seafoid

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 15, 2022, 05:33:44 PM
As I said earlier in the week, Monaghan are not a great Championship team recently. Derry on a good run, winning games, building up, and getting the players in the right place. Monaghan just never seem to be right for summer after expending a lot of energy staying up in Division 1. Priorities all wrong
They had their day.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tbrick18

Top class from Derry.

Completely dominated the first half forcing Monaghan I to shooting from poor positions.
Really purposeful in attack and looked like scoring from every attack.
Hopefully Loughlin isnt badly injured as he's been playing really well.

Benny Heron's best season in a Derry jersey.

Glass was awesome, Chrissy and Rogers locked the door.
Lynch did really well in goals. Even in the second half when monaghan were coming strong he just kept calm and did the simple things right.

But for me mckinless is a different level. His running, defending, tackling, attacking and his goal were as good as you'll see.

Gough was a total joke today in that second half in particular.

Brilliant win, brilliant buzz. Donegal are there to beat now.
That's another story.
We should have beat them last year nad we have their ex manager.
Could this be our year to finally get back to winning championships?

tintin25

Quote from: Throw ball on May 15, 2022, 07:37:31 PM
Quote from: OakLeaf on May 15, 2022, 06:08:08 PM

Think you need to get your red tinted glasses changed. Gough made a few iffy decisions but thought he was fair to both teams.

Agree.  Watching as a neutral he was fair enough to both teams.