Monaghan v Derry USFC SF Sunday May15th 16.00

Started by Main Street, May 02, 2022, 04:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: J70 on May 12, 2022, 12:22:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 12, 2022, 08:49:38 AM
I have the feeling Derry are coming back after a long time lost. They were unfortunate not to get out out of D2.
They steamrollered the all Ireland champions and a number of players were prominent, a very good sign.
Plus they have loads of energy.
I would have them as favourites.

Personally, I'd have Derry as favourites for Ulster, even at this point.

As Dreadnought lays out, they've been building towards something.
Cute hoorism starting ;)

tbrick18

I have the feeling Derry are coming back after a long time lost. They were unfortunate not to get out out of D2.
They steamrollered the all Ireland champions and a number of players were prominent, a very good sign.

Let's not get carried away.
In championship terms we've beaten a Tyrone team that didnt show up.
That's it.
We're not even favourites for our next game, let alone Ulster.
Of course, the hope is we can win Ulster, but it's hope and not expectation.

I do agree, we've been building and improving over this last couple of years. Is it enough yet? Time will tell.

On the game itself, I think Derry will set up similarly to how we did against Tyrone. I don't see any major surprises in terms of personnel or positioning. Derry were able to show that they can get scores from other outlets and not just McGuigan which makes it more difficult for Monaghan.
Monaghan will have had time to prepare and won't give away as much ball from kickouts as tyrone did.
It has the makings of a tense, tight low scoring game. They will want to make sure they don't concede frees in the scoring zone. A goal would likely win it.

marty34

south Derry have a great chance in this match from what I'm hearing and reading.

Walter Cronc

Against us in the Ulster club the 2 x Hughes' were miles off the pace and I honestly thought they were both finished. Maybe they are better suited to the Monaghan system though??

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 12, 2022, 12:38:14 PM

Cute hoorism starting ;)

Nah, that's not my thing.

I honestly been very seriously impressed by them. The Tyrone game did not come out the blue. They could easily (and probably should) have beaten us last year, now they've gone that next step and annihilated Tyrone.

In addition, I have very serious reservations over this Donegal team. Far too slow, ponderous and one-dimensional, and I question whether we will be fit to match a very hungry Derry team were we to meet in the Ulster final.

God14

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 12, 2022, 01:31:53 PM
Against us in the Ulster club the 2 x Hughes' were miles off the pace and I honestly thought they were both finished. Maybe they are better suited to the Monaghan system though??

Thats my take on it also

Sure Monaghan have the better FF line. With proven fire power in McCarron and McManus.
But they need supply, and from 5 - 12 Derry are loaded with serious horse power. I dont think Monaghan will live with that.

Derry at 11/8 with PP, way overpriced. The only reservation is that the likes of Benny Heron & to a lesser extent Niall Loughlin are unlikely to scale the heights they did the last time. It had the feel of everything going right for Derry when Heron was swinging over 40yard beauties last time out. Scoring efficiency is the only thing i can see harming Derry chances.

Schkite

Jaysus, reading through this has me wondering should I even show up to the game. Sounds like it's completely in Derry's hands whether they win or not, and Monaghan are just a crumbling decrepit team waiting to be put out of their misery.

JoG2

Quote from: Schkite on May 12, 2022, 02:28:45 PM
Jaysus, reading through this has me wondering should I even show up to the game. Sounds like it's completely in Derry's hands whether they win or not, and Monaghan are just a crumbling decrepit team waiting to be put out of their misery.

The prediction thread would suggest otherwise. Any point our bucks turning up should be the cute hooer question surely?

Main Street

Quote from: God14 on May 12, 2022, 02:10:02 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 12, 2022, 01:31:53 PM

Thats my take on it also

Sure Monaghan have the better FF line. With proven fire power in McCarron and McManus.
But they need supply, and from 5 - 12 Derry are loaded with serious horse power. I dont think Monaghan will live with that.

Derry at 11/8 with PP, way overpriced. The only reservation is that the likes of Benny Heron & to a lesser extent Niall Loughlin are unlikely to scale the heights they did the last time. It had the feel of everything going right for Derry when Heron was swinging over 40yard beauties last time out. Scoring efficiency is the only thing i can see harming Derry chances.
The Hughes' brothers looked just fine against Dublin.

Estimator

Monaghan favourites for this and rightly so. Playing good football against the teams in the top division, for a good few years now. Hoping Derry will compete to the end, but Monaghan will probably win a low scoring encounter with about 3points to spare. Handicap on PP: -1 Evs. Buying money.
Ulster League Champions 2009

J70

Quote from: JoG2 on May 12, 2022, 02:39:12 PM

The prediction thread would suggest otherwise. Any point our bucks turning up should be the cute hooer question surely?

Yeah, prediction thread is around 50/50 I'd say.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Estimator on May 12, 2022, 03:27:11 PM

Monaghan favourites for this and rightly so. Playing good football against the teams in the top division, for a good few years now. Hoping Derry will compete to the end, but Monaghan will probably win a low scoring encounter with about 3points to spare. Handicap on PP: -1 Evs. Buying money.

Playing in the Top Division hasn't actually done Monaghan much good up to now...

lenny

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 12, 2022, 04:17:47 PM

Playing in the Top Division hasn't actually done Monaghan much good up to now...

I've a feeling this will end up 1.14 each after normal time. Monaghan have better and more experienced players to come off the bench and that should see them through after extra time.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 12, 2022, 04:17:47 PM

The thing is that their historic form in the league since they got promoted in 2014 would have been very handy if the new championship structure was in place.

Their league position since they got promoted would have got them in the 3rd seeds group every single year (including this one) since 2014 under next year's structure.

screenexile

I'm expecting another good performance which Monaghan will pip by 2-3 points.

That way I won't get too disappointed!