Monaghan v Derry USFC SF Sunday May15th 16.00

Started by Main Street, May 02, 2022, 04:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: theticklemister on May 11, 2022, 01:31:14 PM
I mind when Armagh win Ulster in 99, it stopped a 17 year wait. Some jubilant crowd that day in Armagh. Fantastic to see. I can't see Derry doing that if we win even though it would be 24 years.

Mind you, Jesus it seems we are world beaters. We won one game against a shite Tyrone team. Give it a bit of time lads.

Some people are losing the run of themselves alright.
Hard to know where Derry are. I suspect Tyrone made us look better than we are.
Galway made us look worse than we are. In saying that, if we beat Monaghan I'll probably think we could win Sam lol.
We still can make it difficult for Monaghan and I think we'll be competitive, but Monaghan are a bit more battle hardened than Derry and that will probably see them over the line.

JoG2

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 11, 2022, 02:34:09 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on May 11, 2022, 01:31:14 PM
I mind when Armagh win Ulster in 99, it stopped a 17 year wait. Some jubilant crowd that day in Armagh. Fantastic to see. I can't see Derry doing that if we win even though it would be 24 years.

Mind you, Jesus it seems we are world beaters. We won one game against a shite Tyrone team. Give it a bit of time lads.

Some people are losing the run of themselves alright.
Hard to know where Derry are. I suspect Tyrone made us look better than we are.
Galway made us look worse than we are. In saying that, if we beat Monaghan I'll probably think we could win Sam lol.
We still can make it difficult for Monaghan and I think we'll be competitive, but Monaghan are a bit more battle hardened than Derry and that will probably see them over the line.

Hopefully we put in another big performance. Will be a huge battle. I know I put Derry by 6 in the prediction comp, but that's more a case of gambling to get up the leaderboard!

Armagh18

Really looking forward to this one. As others have said, hard to know where Derry are at given Tyrone were brutal but they were seriously unlucky in division 2 not to go up. Monaghan obviously never easy to beat and have the forwards to do damage and the experience of playing in division 1 and the business end of Ulster for years now. Tough one to call and could go either way but fancy Monaghan to edge it.

God14

Really looking forward to this one as a neutral. Yes Tyrone were shockingly poor last time out, but I was still hugely impressed by Derry. Their middle 8 is extremely mobile, athletic and pacy. Are Monaghan aging? I think they might be. If so they could get into real trouble in this sector. Tyrone were completely overrun even before the sending off. Monaghan could be in for a similar fate on Sunday.
Derry were ravenous the last day out. They played like a team that's waited 24 years for an Ulster Title. You just felt at the ground, that things had been building for them for a while towards this. Hunger & desire levels through the ceiling.
I also feel Derry have a big advantage on the line going into this game. Gallagher is way too smart tactically for Banty. Jimmy McGuinness' apprentice versus Mike Bassett. Advantage Derry.

Main Street

It could work out well in Monaghan's favour  that we got to see Derry spring that deserved upset before this game.
I'll clutch at any straw.

David Gough is the appointed ref, I guess that rules out a good old fashioned melee.

timmyot501

It is hard to know where either team is really.  Derry were impressive against Tyrone.  But was it a case that Derry were very good, Tyrone were very bad or a combination of both??  Likewise with Monaghan.  Down were poor, but they still stuck in 2 goals. Monaghan's league form was all over the place.  Should have beaten Tyrone and  Mayo but only came away with one point.  Did OK against Armagh to draw.  Awful against Kerry, good against Donegal, awful again v Kildare and played really well against Dublin.  This could come down to which Monaghan team turns up this weekend.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Main Street on May 11, 2022, 03:40:33 PM
It could work out well in Monaghan's favour  that we got to see Derry spring that deserved upset before this game.

David Gough is the appointed ref, I guess that rules out a good old fashioned melee.
You started off this thread with real confidence has that confidence faded?

twohands!!!

Derry shot exactly 50% from play (9 out of 18) the last day.

I keep an eye on this stat and it's rare enough that a side will win an intercounty game if they are only kicking 50% of their shots from play.

As a comparison Monaghan kicked 13 out of 19 (68%) in their win over Down.

In both these game all 4 sides were 100% from deadballs. Monaghan and Derry got 10 points, Tyrone got 7 and Down got 3.

I'll be very surprised if this game doesn't go all the way to the wire and the winning margin to be narrow enough.

Would favour Monaghan to get over the line but wouldn't be any bit surprised if Derry managed to get the result here.

Main Street

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 11, 2022, 04:02:59 PM

You started off this thread with real confidence has that confidence faded?
I started off this thread with a bold statement, but obvious to me, one to be taken with a dose of salt.

restorepride

Probably! His decision making could have a big bearing! Players' discipline with be crucial - any bets on who will get the first yellow?! I'd go for McKinless or younger Hughes. Monaghan have more scoring options that Doire, from Beggan to McCarron. If I was neutral (which I am not!), Monaghan by 3.

Main Street

Quote from: restorepride on May 11, 2022, 10:54:04 PM

Probably! His decision making could have a big bearing! Players' discipline with be crucial - any bets on who will get the first yellow?! I'd go for McKinless or younger Hughes. Monaghan have more scoring options that Doire, from Beggan to McCarron. If I was neutral (which I am not!), Monaghan by 3.
You can be a lot of things, but I hope you're not a curse. :)

restorepride

Quote from: Main Street on May 11, 2022, 11:22:54 PM
Quote from: restorepride on May 11, 2022, 10:54:04 PM

You can be a lot of things, but I hope you're not a curse. :)
I detect a hint of superstition?! Rory Gallagher hasn't planned for that - good move!

seafoid

I have the feeling Derry are coming back after a long time lost. They were unfortunate not to get out out of D2.
They steamrollered the all Ireland champions and a number of players were prominent, a very good sign.
Plus they have loads of energy.
I would have them as favourites.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dreadnought

Looking forward to this as a neutral. Well as neutral as a Cavan man can be towards Monaghan, and someone who has some links to Derry.

Anyways, obviously think it'll be very close. Both teams quarter finals hid a lot about where they are at. Down were bad and Monaghan didn't get much of a challenge and coasted for a lot. That space and time won't be there next time. Derry clearly impressive v Tyrone. The red card did change things and Tyrone looked half disinterested, but Derry were looking very good at that stage, and never took the foot of the throat. The celebrations after were like winning a final, crowd on the pitch and all. Have Derry come down sufficiently from that emotional high to be right for this? Can be hard to get back to level after a game like that. I expect they will though.

I've a hot take. I think Monaghan have moved from a Championship team, to one set for the League. I think there's a slight obsession with clinging on to Division 1 status yearly. The odd excursion down to Division 2 would be no harm to Monaghan, allow a better refreshment of players, new blood in, and get a run of wins in. Rather than an odd win and a draw, and staving off relegation with an injury time score in the final game, Monaghan need to become a Championship side again. The 2013 and 15 titles were on the back of rising the Divisions, lifting cups by winning Division 3 and 2 titles, and entering Division 1 on a run of results built up over years. I don't see that there right now. Bar 2018 run and Ulster final last year, what have they really done as a Division 1 mainstay last 6 years? Every other Division 1 mainstay has won something in that time. There's clutch moments here and there, but you need more than that. The Championship losses since 2016 do not make good reading for them, and that's my worry for them. Kill themselves all Spring to stay in Division 1, and their summer usually suffers.

Derry consequently have rose the divisions and are rarely losing matches these days. Unlucky to miss promotion on a points total that would see them up every other year (and the McGuigan red which was a joke). They've got huge momentum, and belief in their squad and manager. Likes of McKinless and Doherty were class the last day, and their forwards were on point too for the most part too. Need a big defensive display, as keep one of the big forwards like McManus quiet, and McCarron will step up too (and vice versa). Need to keep a handle on all of them there. There's nothing I've seen like Derry confidence when things are going well for them. They'll have huge belief they can win, and I think they'll sneak it. I'll take Derry by 2 in an absorbing tight game.

J70

Quote from: seafoid on May 12, 2022, 08:49:38 AM
I have the feeling Derry are coming back after a long time lost. They were unfortunate not to get out out of D2.
They steamrollered the all Ireland champions and a number of players were prominent, a very good sign.
Plus they have loads of energy.
I would have them as favourites.

Personally, I'd have Derry as favourites for Ulster, even at this point.

As Dreadnought lays out, they've been building towards something.