Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

While the Tailteann quarter-finals will have to battle with many other games for coverage, the Tailteann semis on June 19th will have the day to themselves and be the only football on that day. That will likely be the most high profile game many  of the 60 starting players will have played in.

marty34

I think once it gets to semi-finals and final, they'll be better interest.

People have a serious sense on entitlement. We should be playing in the Sam Maguire qualifiers etc. but now after 1 game (and being knocked out) they think they're not good enough for the TC.

If they put interest in, they all have a decent chance now.

All clubs play at their respective levels in their own county and in the TC, it's only one level - not intermediate and junior even.

Go for it and try and win it.

themac_23

id much rather see Antrim compete in semi finals/ finals of the Tailteann than maybe win a round or 2 in qualifiers then see us play one of the top counties put 15 behind the ball in a game of keep the score respectable. Far rather see us go for a trophy we could win and go for it trying to play football and build

bannside

Agree Mac. It's the level we are at, once we are proven to be competitive in this competition it's time enough to be looking towards the premium events.

How many clubs don't celebrate an intermediate championship title when that is the grade they are in?

All we need to think about atm is can we deliver a performance that's too good for Leitrim on Saturday and while possible that's definitely not a given!

rosnarun

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 22, 2022, 07:38:06 PM
A load of Offaly players down with cramp towards the end of the game. Pure relief with the full time whistle. Is John Maughan still getting his players to run-up mountains and push wheelie bins around car parks?

Niall McNamee some servant for them and top quality forward, turns 37 later this year and top scorer today with 1-5.
for the record maughan did not get players tp push anything around a carpark .
that was some one else . a quick google will reveal the truth

What he did do was bring a division 3 team to draw an all Ireland final and lose the replay by a point in 1996. he also got them to all Ireland finals in  in 1997 and 2004
a b all Ireland with Fermanagh was won with and he also brought Clare to win a Munster for the 1st time since 1917

bit of respect please
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rosnarun on May 23, 2022, 10:38:18 AM
for the record maughan did not get players tp push anything around a carpark .
that was some one else . a quick google will reveal the truth

What he did do was bring a division 3 team to draw an all Ireland final and lose the replay by a point in 1996. he also got them to all Ireland finals in  in 1997 and 2004
a b all Ireland with Fermanagh was won with and he also brought Clare to win a Munster for the 1st time since 1917

bit of respect please
Less of the ranting please and try to explain how a team that hasn't played for a number of weeks was out on their feet at the end of yesterday's game.

After getting caught on the hop with a injury hit team in the Leinster championship i would have expected Offaly to win that game yesterday pulling up. Plenty of pundits fancy Offaly to do well in this competition and a lot of that comes down to a high profile manager like Maughan in charge. On the evidence of yesterday they'll need a good recovery session before playing Wicklow.

Rossfan

If Cavan apply themselves to it I'd expect them to win it out.
As for Offaly I read somewhere that Tan stopped training after the Leinster loss until last Tuesday.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dreadnought

Quote from: Rossfan on May 23, 2022, 11:52:09 AM
As for Offaly I read somewhere that Tan stopped training after the Leinster loss until last Tuesday.

Did they go back to play club? I know that weekend before last in Cavan, clubs had their county players back, but not this weekend as they ramp up to the game. might be the case for other counties too

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on May 23, 2022, 11:52:09 AM
For a manager that has talked up the Tailteann Cup more than most it would be odd that he'd have his side poorly prepared for the opener?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

full moon

Only a couple hundred at the Wicklow game the first Tailteann fixture. Be interesting to note attendances next weekend if they're released. I'd expect poor crowds with everything else on next weekend and the lack of interest so far.

Not sure how the supposed All Stars will be picked when most journalists won't have attended or caught most of the Tailteann Cup matches.

Cavan19

Quote from: full moon on May 23, 2022, 12:03:31 PM

Not sure how the supposed All Stars will be picked when most journalists won't have attended or caught most of the Tailteann Cup matches.

Probably the same as they pick there team of the week look at the team sheets and pick out the names they know.

imtommygunn

How was Wexford's second goal not a square ball? I am assuming it wasn't as no one is saying much about it but the boy was just standing in the square waiting on it? There was no case of timing as he just stood there.

Rossfan

Where was he when ball was played?
As for All Stars - same as main ones
Winners 7 or 8
Finalists 3 or 4
Semi Finalists 1 each
1 well known player from another County to show you they looked beyond the Semis and Final.
How many people would attend a Wicklow v Waterford 1st Round Qualifier?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rossfan on May 23, 2022, 03:14:17 PM
Where was he when ball was played?
As for All Stars - same as main ones
Winners 7 or 8
Finalists 3 or 4
Semi Finalists 1 each
1 well known player from another County to show you they looked beyond the Semis and Final.
How many people would attend a Wicklow v Waterford 1st Round Qualifier?

He was standing in the square and never moved until the ball came in.

The all stars are long since dead for the "lesser" teams. The super 8s gave more matches for the best teams to be visible and anyone out in earlier rounds was forgot about. They should do Tailteann cup all stars too as per christy ring, nicky rackard etc in the hurling.

themac_23

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40882115.html?fbclid=IwAR3A47cq9P5zh4K24R4yqbrLlIRxkw_1PDYXWMNwd_jElAiPG0Hz4nvqY4U

this article pretty much nails it. great to see a player being realistic. What is the point in busting your arse training when you know you're going out to just try and avoid being embarrassed. As Quinn says here the Tailteann is a comp where teams can go out and set realistic targets and try to build something.