Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

Quote from: seanyb on July 07, 2022, 12:56:05 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on July 07, 2022, 12:50:59 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 07, 2022, 12:24:55 PM
Rodgers will play midfield, McKinless stay no.6, Chrissy pick up Comer, who match up on Walsh I don't know, likely would been McGrogan (as he picked up McManus in Monaghan game) but he got it tight in the Clare game.

I'd tend to agree with that.  Does McCloskey have a bit more pace than McGrogan?   I know McGrogan has been a more preferred match up but after struggling with Cleary it isn't ideal going into a contest against Walsh!

Serious? lol Clucky is an absolute rocket

He quite clearly is, but I can't really recall seeing McGrogan opening up so don't know to what degree his pace is.  Maybe McCloskey is the better match up for Walsh (obviously it isn't all about pace but with someone as quick as Walsh it is a prerequisite!)

Walter Cronc

McGrogan on Comer, McKaigue on Finnerty and Rogers on Walsh for me. Hammer the hammer!

TheMistro

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2022, 10:01:03 AM
Quote from: TheMistro on July 07, 2022, 02:09:14 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2022, 10:02:13 PM
A tight match bring the winner on a lot for the final.

Can't see Derry or Galweigens getting near kerry in the final.
It's hard to know who good Kerry are. In the last 3 years they have been beaten by Dublin, Cork and Tyrone

Jack O'Connor is back with good reason.  With the dubs and mayo in decline he has a sniff of all ireland medal. Jack will be still hurting since 2011. He had his eye on this game since reappointed kerry manager. I expect him to take thats dubs full back line apart.

HiMucker

What has McKaigues man scored off him in the championship so far out of interest?

seanyb

Quote from: HiMucker on July 07, 2022, 02:36:06 PM
What has McKaigues man scored off him in the championship so far out of interest?

Only man that got anything off him was Darren McCurry (2pts from play)

Lucifer

Jack McCarron scored a mark off him and won 2 converted frees off him too iirc.

galwayman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 07, 2022, 01:31:06 PM
McGrogan on Comer, McKaigue on Finnerty and Rogers on Walsh for me. Hammer the hammer!
McKaigue was on Finnerty in the league game. Finnerty taken off at half time - had a stinker. Now he was actually out in front of him several times and just dropped the ball for whatever reason. Jittery.
Walsh didn't play in that game.
I think Rogers marked Comer but not 100% sure.

Wildweasel74

Rodgers at Midfield allows Glass to go forward as he can score, but taking Rodgers out of the defence left us open at the bck. Its sort of pluses and minuses with that move. Wouldn't been worried as bad, but there not many other fullbacks in the county who regularly play there Dougan, Mcgoldrick, etc, none of which are on the panel, means brining McKeigue to 3, McGrogan power wise maybe better suited to Comer but ain't use to playing full back. Walsh could be abit tricky for him.

God14

I dont think McGrogan has the physicality for Comer. Bit of a mis match there. Whilst Derry will have +1 or +2 in close proximity to counter most problems, Gallagher wont want direct ball going into Comer.

Ideally Derry would put McKinless into midfield alongside Glass, to counter Galways pairing and give McDaid some attention. Im not actually sure they can afford to do that. I reckon he might need McKinless in defence for his match ups

Gallagher has a reputation for always getting his match ups right but this one is very tricky. I think he starts Ultra defensive with McKaigue on Walsh, Rogers on Comer, McGrogan on Finnerty & McKinless on Tierney. Glass to do a defensive number on McDaid.

JoG2

Quote from: God14 on July 07, 2022, 04:22:22 PM

I dont think McGrogan has the physicality for Comer. Bit of a mis match there. Whilst Derry will have +1 or +2 in close proximity to counter most problems, Gallagher wont want direct ball going into Comer.

Ideally Derry would put McKinless into midfield alongside Glass, to counter Galways pairing and give McDaid some attention. Im not actually sure they can afford to do that. I reckon he might need McKinless in defence for his match ups

Gallagher has a reputation for always getting his match ups right but this one is very tricky. I think he starts Ultra defensive with McKaigue on Walsh, Rogers on Comer, McGrogan on Finnerty & McKinless on Tierney. Glass to do a defensive number on McDaid.

McGrogan is built like, and is as strong as a bull.

tbrick18

I don't think Derry will want to get into a shootout, so I think we'll play super defensively to start with to frustrate Galway. Then attack at pace on turnovers.
Gallagher might surprise us all though....

Walter Cronc

Did McGrogan not play most of his underage at 3? He's very strong although has leaned up considerably. I don't think Gallagher will want McKaigue far from goal tracking Walsh, hence why I think Rogers might get the job. Paul Cassidy has got key roles all year so will be Iinteresting to see who he tracks.

Galwayman who do you see picking up our key men?

oakleaflad

I don't really agree with your matchups but who picks up Conroy in that scenario?

lenny

Quote from: JoG2 on July 07, 2022, 04:31:43 PM

McGrogan is built like, and is as strong as a bull.

The problem is Comer is as strong as 2 bulls. Derry will probably start tight with Rogers on Comer and mckaigue on walsh. If we fall 5 or 6 down Rogers will go to midfield to try to get us into the game. Galway look to have too many danger men and more firepower than Derry.

God14

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 07, 2022, 04:52:19 PM

I don't really agree with your matchups but who picks up Conroy in that scenario?

Yeah thats kinda my point, Galway have a fair few fires that need put out.  Patrick Kelly is also a bit of a handful, big powerful player. Johnny Heaney too.

To answer your question, Emmet Bradley on Conroy.