Ulster Club SFC 2021

Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Hard to beat they are, but they brutal to watch with that style of fball which I hoped had died a death.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 17, 2022, 08:15:53 PM
Hard to beat they are, but they brutal to watch with that style of fball which I hoped had died a death.

They scored 3-10 against a team playing 15 men behind the ball, you'll not score that much in club football this time of year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

I dont know what people expect Kilcoo to do. It was Derrygonnolly that set the agenda, they had 15 men inside their 45.

They were left with no option but to keep the ball and probe for openings. Which they done emphatically.

RadioGAAGAA

What would you have done differently?
i usse an speelchekor

Mikhailov

Scored 3 goals in first round and again in the final - do you expect free flowing attacking games in winter football?

Are you jealous perhaps?

thewobbler

Quote from: Mikhailov on January 17, 2022, 10:08:36 PM

Scored 3 goals in first round and again in the final - do you expect free flowing attacking games in winter football?

Are you jealous perhaps?

You strike me as a man who has been force fed pot noodles for so long, that you think McDonalds a culinary delight.

The football Kilcoo play is extraordinarily effective. Their discipline is exceptional. Their decision making is exemplary. Their unselfishness knows no bounds.  But despite all that, it's nullifying - no, absolutely soul destroying, football  to watch.

Milltown Row2

I get it, they have dominated Down football for so many years and looking in most clubs don't like teams that dominate their championship.

Their time will come to an end, club teams can't don't it for ever
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2022, 11:02:46 PM
I get it, they have dominated Down football for so many years and looking in most clubs don't like teams that dominate their championship.

Their time will come to an end, club teams can't don't it for ever

This is undoubtedly a part of it too.

ardtole

I saw Aaron Brannigan interviewed after the game, his partner gave birth recently. Between him and his brothers they have 10 kids all boys, Conor Laverty has 5 kids all boys.

These boys could educate Aidan OBrien about breeding, the next generation is being prepared.

Walter Cronc

And when have 'the next generation' ever came through. Its such a myth! From our lads point of view I didn't hear of any verbals or sledging in our semi final loss. Mind you the game was fairly intense so perhaps no time for it?? I'd say its more a case in Down where familiarity breeds this kinda thing.

ardtole

johnnycool

Quote from: ardtole on January 17, 2022, 08:38:46 PM
I dont know what people expect Kilcoo to do. It was Derrygonnolly that set the agenda, they had 15 men inside their 45.

They were left with no option but to keep the ball and probe for openings. Which they done emphatically.

It was and as expected the first goal was crucial and when Kilcoo got it before half time (as well as tacking on a point) meant that DG had to come out to play in the second half. Once they left spaces in behind Kilcoo cut through at will and rattled over the big tally.

I think it was 0-3 to 0-2 for most of the first half and was hard watching, even with my limited Irish Burns and the commentator were making jokes about shot clocks and going off to make a cup of tea when Kilcoo had so much possession and seemingly doing very little with it.

A day of regret for the DG lads.

Milltown Row2

You've got to break lines and get into the scoring zone, absolutely no point shooting from stupid angles or distance, we tell kids that every day, DG had players zone marking, very limited space and in football possession is king. Their tackles didn't create too much turn over ball, as Kilcoo were very comfortable on the ball snd a player always in support.

Patients paid off, if a team sets out like that you have to adopt, you're not playing for the TV, you're playing for you club, no trophies for losing with style.

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2022, 08:38:36 AM
You've got to break lines and get into the scoring zone, absolutely no point shooting from stupid angles or distance, we tell kids that every day, DG had players zone marking, very limited space and in football possession is king. Their tackles didn't create too much turn over ball, as Kilcoo were very comfortable on the ball snd a player always in support.

Patients paid off, if a team sets out like that you have to adopt, you're not playing for the TV, you're playing for you club, no trophies for losing with style.
Agreed. Not sure what other way Kilcoo could have played on Sunday when Derrygonnelly seemingly showed up to try and keep the score down. 3-10 is serious scoring in a January game- could have been more with Johnstons missed goal chance in the second half, their number 5 i think it was had a chance to lob the keeper after a bad kickout late on when the game was dead as well but put it over the bar, couple of poor enough wides too from them.

Derrygonnelly would need to have a look at themselves playing like that, would probably have lost either way but surely could have went home with their heads held high and no regrets if they'd went for it from the start.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2022, 08:38:36 AM

Not being overly knowledgable on the old football but surely with all this S&C going on a lad can kick a ball over from 45 metres out from the hands in open play and the scoring percentages would be higher if it was feckin practiced...

Having to try and work the ball to 30 metres out and less plays into the hands of teams packing the defence out in this zonal system with everyone inside their 45...

Kilcoo worked that goal well but if it hadn't of came when it did before half time then you could have well saw another 30 minutes of the same...