Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Snapchap on May 18, 2022, 10:12:03 PM
Quote from: square_ball on May 18, 2022, 09:28:48 PM
Don't see why he wouldn't have a go back at O'Kane when he's used his column to have an unnecessary pop at him. Plenty criticised Brannigan yet O'Kane picked Parkinson out.
No issue with him defending himself, but claiming he was defamed? Name calling? Taking jibes at Cahair's family and employer? Bit OTT.
funny thing is parkinson spent far more time off the laois panel over hissy fits, going to the us being dropped  and breaching  squad rules than he ever did on it . his the kind of player that would have no place in the modern game any way
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

greatpoint

Quote from: Snapchap on May 18, 2022, 08:06:31 PM
Seen Wooly took quite the hissy fit over a bit of mild criticism from Cahair O'Kane last week.

O'Kane wrote a column criticising the media outlets who he thought were overly harsh on Eugene Brannigan, saying:

Wooly went all out, calling Cahair names ("mediocre Cahair"), accused him of defamation, took a pop at his aunt for defending him and also took a pop at his employer, The Irish News. For a fella who loves to dish out the attacks and settle old scores through his podcast, he seems remarkably sensitive to anybody who dares criticise him!

You took that piece as him criticising media outlets generally? I think you're being kind to O'Kane there for whatever reason, to me it certainly came across like he had an axe to grind. O'Kane called Parkinson out by name and appeared to make light of how he makes a living. I would have held O'Kane in a higher regard than Parkinson journalistically, I think it was fairly petty from him.

marty34

Quote from: greatpoint on May 19, 2022, 04:09:36 PM
Seen Wooly took quite the hissy fit over a bit of mild criticism from Cahair O'Kane last week.

O'Kane wrote a column criticising the media outlets who he thought were overly harsh on Eugene Brannigan, saying:

Wooly went all out, calling Cahair names ("mediocre Cahair"), accused him of defamation, took a pop at his aunt for defending him and also took a pop at his employer, The Irish News. For a fella who loves to dish out the attacks and settle old scores through his podcast, he seems remarkably sensitive to anybody who dares criticise him!

You took that piece as him criticising media outlets generally? I think you're being kind to O'Kane there for whatever reason, to me it certainly came across like he had an axe to grind. O'Kane called Parkinson out by name and appeared to make light of how he makes a living. I would have held O'Kane in a higher regard than Parkinson journalistically, I think it was fairly petty from him.

Yeah, seemed to a bit personal when he mentioned Parkinson specifically plus the €5 subscription.

Snapchap

Quote from: marty34 on May 19, 2022, 04:52:30 PM

Yeah, seemed to a bit personal when he mentioned Parkinson specifically plus the €5 subscription.

A bit personal? Have yous ever listened to Wooly's output?? Personal attacks are his bread & butter ffs! He seems to have a real grudge against Stephen Poacher in particular, and the digs he takes at him from the comfort of a podcast are fairy cowardly/childish. If it were someone else, then O'Kane may have been out of order, but for Wooly to get precious about personal attacks, well that's just ridiculous.

Though in saying that, if he was insulted then that's fair enough, but how childish is it to respond by claiming possible defamation, name calling, and petty remarks about O'Kane's family and employer? Childish stuff.

greatpoint

Quote from: Snapchap on May 20, 2022, 09:32:54 AM

A bit personal? Have yous ever listened to Wooly's output?? Personal attacks are his bread & butter ffs! He seems to have a real grudge against Stephen Poacher in particular, and the digs he takes at him from the comfort of a podcast are fairy cowardly/childish. If it were someone else, then O'Kane may have been out of order, but for Wooly to get precious about personal attacks, well that's just ridiculous.

Though in saying that, if he was insulted then that's fair enough, but how childish is it to respond by claiming possible defamation, name calling, and petty remarks about O'Kane's family and employer? Childish stuff.

You've just repeated what you've already said without addressing anything in my post whatsoever.

Snapchap

Quote from: greatpoint on May 20, 2022, 03:02:17 PM

You've just repeated what you've already said without addressing anything in my post whatsoever.
The photo is of just a section of the column. The column as a whole WAS about media outlets generally. He used Wooly as an example. Like I say, you can call it uncalled for if you like - I'm not trying to saying whether O'Kane was right or wrong- it doesn't change my point that Woolys reaction was still over the top, petty and childish. Not to mention hypocritical in the extreme, given his own penchant for making personal attacks on people.

greatpoint

Quote from: Snapchap on May 20, 2022, 06:38:22 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 20, 2022, 03:02:17 PM

The photo is of just a section of the column. The column as a whole WAS about media outlets generally. He used Wooly as an example. Like I say, you can call it uncalled for if you like - I'm not trying to saying whether O'Kane was right or wrong- it doesn't change my point that Woolys reaction was still over the top, petty and childish. Not to mention hypocritical in the extreme, given his own penchant for making personal attacks on people.

If the context of your post is dependent on the entire column then why not provide that instead of "just a section" that supposedly misrepresents the overall piece?

tiempo

Parkinson giving out on twatter that the GAA Social podcast got some attention in the print media, what an absolute bitch that man is

screenexile

Quote from: tiempo on June 29, 2022, 10:31:03 AM
Parkinson giving out on twatter that the GAA Social podcast got some attention in the print media, what an absolute bitch that man is

He only wishes his podcast was as good as the BBC's!!

He has 4k subscribers behind a paywall so he's doing alright. He needs to decide whether he wants his €20k a month or wants to remove the paywall and get the exposure, he can't have it both ways!

mrdeeds

Don't think he was giving out. Think he was happy to be in print media.

tiempo

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 29, 2022, 11:06:45 AM

Don't think he was giving out. Think he was happy to be in print media.

Was giving out surely that the GAA Social this week got some traction in other media outlets and his didn't
The only currency Parkinson deals in now is the cult of self, I think he drops these shit views just to garner another bit of attention and potential controversy
Some lap it up, pay their subs and fair play to them, in my view its more than a bit whiney/bitchey and for that reason i'll give my subs elsewhere
I'm sure plenty of his content is A1 but dial down the victim mentality bullshit

toby47

Eugene Branagan was proved right anyway. Down are a shambles.

Mario

Quote from: screenexile on June 29, 2022, 10:52:11 AM

He has 4k subscribers behind a paywall so he's doing alright. He needs to decide whether he wants his €20k a month or wants to remove the paywall and get the exposure, he can't have it both ways!
I prefer Parkinson's to the BBC but accept it's probably not worth the fee when you can get BBC, off the ball, sportsjoe, RTE and the Irish examiner for free but i'll keep paying while Derry keep winning! I find Niblock overly dramatic/emotive sometimes, i like how straight talking wooly is even if i don't always agree with him. Cian Ward and McConville are equally excellent as number 2's.

gallsman

Is there a way to validate the 4k subscribers? Would strike me as extremely high.

Mario

Quote from: gallsman on June 29, 2022, 11:55:38 AM

Is there a way to validate the 4k subscribers? Would strike me as extremely high.
It tells you on the Patreon app. It's definitely true.