GAA books

Started by Jinxy, August 17, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

36 and Counting by one of our own boardies is the best Kerry GAA book and I'm not just saying that cause I had a small input into the cover of it. I think its time to update it to 37 and......
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

5 Sams

None of ye have mentioned anything by Tom Humphries and I'm sure you all have your reasons...but his book on the Dublin V Kerry rivalry is as good as anything thing I have ever read. Also not exclusively GAA but 'Lap Top Dancing and the Nanny Goat Mambo' is top class stuff.
The Aristocrat Years

Kerry Mike

The Kerry v Dublin book was a cracker. What's the story with TH he is totally out of the scene
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Orangemac

Quote from: haze on August 17, 2011, 12:32:31 PM
Read Kings of September by Michael Foley for a second time last week and think it's the best GAA book I've come across.

I liked The Club but was definitely over rated

Has anyone read Working on a Dream by Damien Lawlor?
Would agree that Kings of September is a fabulous read. Really gives a sense of the build up to the game from both sides. You would feel like it was 1982 reading it.

There was another book by Keith Duggan a few years ago - The Lifelong season with different chapters devoted to different players/strands of the GAA. Great chapters on Frank McGuigan and Brian McEniff.

Jinxy

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 17, 2011, 09:15:11 PM
None of ye have mentioned anything by Tom Humphries and I'm sure you all have your reasons...but his book on the Dublin V Kerry rivalry is as good as anything thing I have ever read. Also not exclusively GAA but 'Lap Top Dancing and the Nanny Goat Mambo' is top class stuff.

Yeah I have that and 'Booked'.
Some really great stuff in them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Christy O'Connor's book on hurling goalkeepers is probably the best GAA book I've read.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Have there been any Kildare GAA books DH?
Can't wait for Geezers one.  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hashtag

Currently reading 'I am Number 4'. Much to my disappointment it has nothing to do with Ricey McMenamin  :-\

HowAreYeGettinOn

Quote from: Orangemac on August 17, 2011, 11:42:56 PM
Quote from: haze on August 17, 2011, 12:32:31 PM
Read Kings of September by Michael Foley for a second time last week and think it's the best GAA book I've come across.

I liked The Club but was definitely over rated

Has anyone read Working on a Dream by Damien Lawlor?
Would agree that Kings of September is a fabulous read. Really gives a sense of the build up to the game from both sides. You would feel like it was 1982 reading it.

There was another book by Keith Duggan a few years ago - The Lifelong season with different chapters devoted to different players/strands of the GAA. Great chapters on Frank McGuigan and Brian McEniff.

+1 - Duggan is just a class act. The stuff on Leslie McGettigan, St Jarlath's etc. is excellent too.

Don't think anybody has given a shout to 'Hurling : The Revolution Years' by Denis Walsh yet. Tremendous read imo.

ONeill

Did a GAA search on Amazon for books coming out between now and Christmas.

The GAA County by County - http://www.amazon.co.uk/GAA-County-Mike-Cronin/dp/1848891288/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314823802&sr=1-12

100 GAA Greats - http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-GAA-Greats-Christie-Canning/dp/1845967275/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314823961&sr=1-13

This Is Our Year - http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Our-Year-Football-Championship/dp/0955029856/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314824154&sr=1-1

Definitely interested in the first one - thought I'd seen the second one before - the third one I'm told is from the point of view of Kevin Cassidy, Dick Clerkin, Ryan McMenamin, Stevie McDonnell, Barry Owens, Mickey Conlan and a couple of others on their own 2011 intercounty experiences. A great present for Sheehy and KM.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lemallon

Hard to beat Jack O Connors biography.  Despite the chip on his shoulder towards the 1970's team and his inability to endure any criticism from them I thought it was a great insight into the Kerry psyche and really showed him to be a tremendous thinker on the game.  Alsoshowed no matter how successful a team is there is always dressing room problems.  Eg You'd never have believed Tom O Sullivan to be a player with disciplianry issues but they were highlighted here.

heffo

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 17, 2011, 09:22:52 PM
What's the story with TH he is totally out of the scene

Currently in IC in St James post serious heart attack

Orior

I saw Jim McGuiness carrying this book

Building Strong Defences
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tyroneman

What was the name of the book where the author wrote about following Dublin for a season ( think it was 2008)??

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyroneman on September 01, 2011, 12:53:36 PM
What was the name of the book where the author wrote about following Dublin for a season ( think it was 2008)??
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Year-Dubs-Daire-Whelan/dp/0717142663

You're welcome.