Payments to players/managers 122 years old

Started by Peter Solan the Great, March 27, 2010, 07:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Solan the Great

Very interesting article in the weekend review of the Irish independent about payments to players. In 1888 when Galway were playing Tipperary Seven of the Tipp team refused to travel to the game due to a row over payments.

The article points out that the amateur status was not codified until 1954 and that some players would take leave of their jobs and train for 2 to 6 weeks. Roscommon players in 1946 received 10 pounds per week and in 1953 Armagh players received 20 pounds per week the GAA hierarchy then banned this practice in 1954. Its very interesting i was never aware of the murky history of payments to players/managers i just assumed that the amateur status was there from the beginning. Does anyone else have any other info or stories on this?

Bogball XV

I think I remember reading an article about some of the Cavan boyos from the 40's/50's and he was telling how all the lads would take the summer off from their jobs and go a training camp for the duration of the championship.  It seems as though Cavan (in common with the rossies) have never recovered from the ban on collective training by looks of it.