Syferus

Quote from: straightred on July 02, 2018, 07:24:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2018, 07:21:06 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 02, 2018, 06:59:30 PM
Quote from: oliverkelly on July 02, 2018, 05:24:05 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on July 02, 2018, 05:16:14 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2018, 05:04:54 PM
Give a walkover and stay at fkn home >:(
I'm sure Cavan or Mayowestros would love to be on Portlaoise at the weekend.

So as long as Roscommon get what they want that is all that matters?

Where do you suggest the game should be played

Still haven't heard a good reason why Clones wasn't chosen

Province. Duh.
enlighten me as to what province Navan, Laois and Kildare are in again?

Do I look like I care what Laois and Kildare do? We weren't pushed around and it was great to see. A Leinster venue for a Connacht-Ulster neutral venue tie makes perfect sense.

Why do Ulster lads always find something to complain about?

Rossfan

It's part of what they are Syfīn  ;D

I presume both Fermanagh and Monaghan were happy to play in Navan.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Schkite on July 02, 2018, 07:39:22 PM
Armagh v Roscommon due to be shown live on Rte news now apparently. Wonder what odds they do the same for Monaghan Laois,1 not good I'd say. And they were originally supposed to show a Sunday qualifier ffs.
Sure if Monaghan were in the all Ireland final it would be played in Breffni.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Schkite

Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2018, 08:05:54 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 02, 2018, 07:39:22 PM
Armagh v Roscommon due to be shown live on Rte news now apparently. Wonder what odds they do the same for Monaghan Laois,1 not good I'd say. And they were originally supposed to show a Sunday qualifier ffs.
Sure if Monaghan were in the all Ireland final it would be played in Breffni.

You sure you replied to the right fella?

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2018, 07:49:59 PM

Province. Duh.

Do I look like I care what Laois and Kildare do? We weren't pushed around and it was great to see. A Leinster venue for a Connacht-Ulster neutral venue tie makes perfect sense.

I'm this case, nothing

smelmoth

Province. Duh.

We are well aware your role on this forum. Don't let us trouble you.

For those interested in sense and reason it's clear that there is neither a requirement for nor logic behind games having to be played in a third province.

The essence of a neutral venue is that neither team has home advantage and that each set of fans is treated equitably. The distance that Armagh fans are being asked to travel is not equitable. Other stadia that are available would have been more equitable. Cavan had it been available would have been ideal and it's absence, Clones.

It's not Roscommon's fault. Double header pricing, fuller stands for the tv pictures and a cheaper broadcast are the drivers here.

The idea that Roscommon were being pushed around here is the invention of a 3rd rate troll

Syferus

Quote from: smelmoth on July 02, 2018, 09:44:39 PM

Province. Duh.

We are well aware your role on this forum. Don't let us trouble you.

For those interested in sense and reason it's clear that there is neither a requirement for nor logic behind games having to be played in a third province.

The essence of a neutral venue is that neither team has home advantage and that each set of fans is treated equitably. The distance that Armagh fans are being asked to travel is not equitable. Other stadia that are available would have been more equitable. Cavan had it been available would have been ideal and it's absence, Clones.

It's not Roscommon's fault. Double header pricing, fuller stands for the tv pictures and a cheaper broadcast are the drivers here.

The idea that Roscommon were being pushed around here is the invention of a 3rd rate troll

You're out on an island on this one yet you keep doubling down on it.

sid waddell

Neutral venues for Round 4 qualifier games should be abolished.

They routinely result in poor attendances which make for poor spectacles and make the games come across as a third rate product.

There aren't neutral venues for the other three qualifier rounds, so why Round 4?

I'm sure home venues were used in at least one championship in the 2000s - they certainly were in 2006 anyway.

Personally I'd like to see teams which lose provincial finals get home advantage, but even tossing a coin for home venue would be better than the current arrangement.

Some these fabled "double headers" are ridiculous. Few supporters of the teams involved in the second match bother to get in for the first match, few supporters of the teams involved in the first match bother to stick around for the second match.

They always have an atmosphere like an airport, with people constantly coming in, leaving and moving around.

Jinxy

Can't stand double headers.
Somehow they always manage to make the occasion feel smaller and less important.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: sid waddell on July 03, 2018, 10:36:54 AM

They routinely result in poor attendances which make for poor spectacles and make the games come across as a third rate product.

There aren't neutral venues for the other three qualifier rounds, so why Round 4?

I'm sure home venues were used in at least one championship in the 2000s - they certainly were in 2006 anyway.

Personally I'd like to see teams which lose provincial finals get home advantage, but even tossing a coin for home venue would be better than the current arrangement.

Some these fabled "double headers" are ridiculous. Few supporters of the teams involved in the second match bother to get in for the first match, few supporters of the teams involved in the first match bother to stick around for the second match.

They always have an atmosphere like an airport, with people constantly coming in, leaving and moving around.

I can't see why the provincial finalists should get home advantage. Roscommon had to beat Leitrim to make a provincial final. Do they deserve home advantage over a team that has won three games? Or the Munster beaten finalists who may have got there with a single win over a division 2/3 team.

Personally I've no problem with a double header like this weekend. Should be two decent even enough games. I can think of some great days that were double headers. The year Fermanagh beat Armagh croke park was bouncing. The year Down beat Kerry was a good double header as well. If you like watching football I'm not sure why you'd be annoyed at taking in two decent games.

illdecide

As an Armagh man i don't care that much where the game is played TBH, we could have tossed for home advantage with Roscommon and wouldn't have cared if we'd have had to play in the Hyde. We have to try and win the game no matter where the game is and Armagh will play as well in Portlaois as they will in Clones, Armagh are the underdogs for the game and rightly so. We have a chance and if we cut out the wides and put a bit of a performance in then we can beat Roscommon but we'll need Roscommon to play like they did in the 2nd half against Galway for us to win.
I do believe if it's tight coming to the last 5-10 mins Armagh will win as they seem to have a we edge on the fitness side of things on most teams but we could very easy be coming into the last 10 mins down by 10 pts...

Anyway who's for pints before the game :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

smelmoth

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 03, 2018, 10:51:49 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 03, 2018, 10:36:54 AM

I can't see why the provincial finalists should get home advantage. Roscommon had to beat Leitrim to make a provincial final. Do they deserve home advantage over a team that has won three games? Or the Munster beaten finalists who may have got there with a single win over a division 2/3 team.

Personally I've no problem with a double header like this weekend. Should be two decent even enough games. I can think of some great days that were double headers. The year Fermanagh beat Armagh croke park was bouncing. The year Down beat Kerry was a good double header as well. If you like watching football I'm not sure why you'd be annoyed at taking in two decent games.

You should have been there the day Mayo beat Tyrone. Some atmosphere that day

smelmoth

Quote from: illdecide on July 03, 2018, 10:54:17 AM
As an Armagh man i don't care that much where the game is played TBH, we could have tossed for home advantage with Roscommon and wouldn't have cared if we'd have had to play in the Hyde. We have to try and win the game no matter where the game is and Armagh will play as well in Portlaois as they will in Clones, Armagh are the underdogs for the game and rightly so. We have a chance and if we cut out the wides and put a bit of a performance in then we can beat Roscommon but we'll need Roscommon to play like they did in the 2nd half against Galway for us to win.
I do believe if it's tight coming to the last 5-10 mins Armagh will win as they seem to have a we edge on the fitness side of things on most teams but we could very easy be coming into the last 10 mins down by 10 pts...

Anyway who's for pints before the game :D

Win, lose or draw the venue won't impact on the result.

I do object to the venue choice because of the impact on fans and the unequal impact on fans.

Separate issues

LooseCannon

Quote from: Manning18 on July 02, 2018, 04:48:23 PM
Why Navan and Portloaise over Tullamore for any of these 4 games? It's better located for 3 of them and a much nicer ground than Navan
Probably because there's 4 Senior A club games fixed for this weekend between Saturday and Sunday.
Plus our County Board are fairly stubborn.

Rossfan

I expect Portlaoise has a bigger capacity than Tullamore?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM