claiming back bank charges

Started by Clown, August 26, 2009, 10:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clown

Has anyone here ever successfully claimed back bank charges, for items being returned unpaid and going over-drawn when you shouldn't have been and being charged for it??

a friend of mine says she wrote the bank a letter and got refunded a lot of money going back 3 years

anyone know were to start with this, is it worth a go?

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Clown on August 26, 2009, 10:09:05 AM
Has anyone here ever successfully claimed back bank charges, for items being returned unpaid and going over-drawn when you shouldn't have been and being charged for it??

a friend of mine says she wrote the bank a letter and got refunded a lot of money going back 3 years

anyone know were to start with this, is it worth a go?

Ya just go in to your branch and let them know the charges that where incorrectly charged (thats if they really where incorrect as best to your knowledge) It can take a while for branches to refund as its a fckn nightmare to track back for the poor bastard who has to do it.

tyrone girl

Going to do this shortly myself. Though i think the bank cases are still being held off pending High Court hearings, though if you qualify under financial hardship it can be pushed through. You can claim back your charges on credit cards at the min though, thats what im looking at. The big thing giving money back the at the minute is payment protection insurance. If you ever had it on old loans or cards etc its worth sending the letter off. One letter to Alliance and Leicester for an old loan got back £3700 odd and another single letter to Halifax credit cards got back just over £3000 for ppi on credit card. You may say that sounds too easy but thats exactly what it was. One letter to each of them and cheque within 6 - 8 weeks.

Clown

did you write the letter yourself or get it from a solicitor/website tyrone girl?

tyrone girl

Bensars

Yer man martin lewis has a section on his website dedicated to this.
www.moneysavingexpert.com

Hope you have your mortgage secured at this stage, as i was reading most banks will want to stop their association with you if you are successful in claiming

PadraicHenryPearse

i worked in a bank for 8 years. As long as the person was a decent customer and didn't treat me like a piece of shit and shout about everything they could think off that was bad with the bank (which i have no control over) i would refund their money. it was only 4.44 or 13.32 at the most. i would alway tell them the reason they were charged and inform them that in future the charges would apply if they cont. to operate their account outside of the terms and conditions.

Downboy

It worked pretty well up and most banks paid back until about a year ago and as someone mentioned they have stopped paying out pending a high court ruling. Doesnt do any harm to try I suppose but it takes about 5 attempts before they stop trying to fob you off with legal jargon.