HRH Price Charles official visit in May to ROI

Started by Shamrock Shore, April 21, 2015, 01:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Eamonnca1

We've matured as a nation!

(Can't believe nobody has said it yet.)

The Subbie

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 23, 2015, 02:41:36 AM
We've matured as a nation!

(Can't believe nobody has said it yet.)

You forgot to add"think of all the millions of tourism jobs this will generate"

Eamonnca1

In all seriousness, I think we'll have matured as a nation when we stop having a big discussion about how we've matured as a nation every time one of them comes to visit, and stop patting ourselves on the back for being nice to our neighbours.

bogball88

Going to visit site of mountbattens death, best to that quickly before any abuse reports come out I suppose

Itchy

I don't mind these fellas visiting, sure Ireland is a beautiful country and I'd visit myself if I was a foreigner. What slightly annoys me is all boys trying to get their heads up the arses of the royals and then tell us how mature they are. f**k off I say to them.

Maguire01

QuoteSinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has said he hopes the visit will be "an occasion to promote reconciliation, respect and understanding".
Very mature.

LeoMc

Quote from: give her dixie on April 22, 2015, 10:02:54 PM
This is an interesting read on that day in 1979, and who was allegedly involved

http://www.onlinepublishingcompany.info/content/sitenewsreadmore/infobox/news/template/default/active_id/385

Aye interesting alright. ???
That site would give Jim Corr a run for his money.

AZOffaly

I cannot understand the fascination that a lot of people in this country have with the British Royal family. Obviously they deserve the respect and welcome due to any visiting foreign dignitary or head of state, and of course they are, at the moment, a friendly neighbour.

However the media coverage, presumably reflecting what 'sells' seem to be absolutely enthralled with them. I don't get it. It's very annoying as a republican, proud of this country warts and all, to read and see some of the shite that seems to be pining for the days when we tugged the forelock as they ran roughshod over the entire country. Bizarre.

Welcome, by all means. Céad míle Failte. But I don't need to be blasted with pregnancies, butler's stories, corgi's flatulence or anything else that has nothing to do with us.

AZOffaly

Although I have to say fair play to Charles for making the effort to look like the Sam Maguire.

theticklemister

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2015, 09:18:30 AM
I cannot understand the fascination that a lot of people in this country have with the British Royal family. Obviously they deserve the respect and welcome due to any visiting foreign dignitary or head of state, and of course they are, at the moment, a friendly neighbour.

However the media coverage, presumably reflecting what 'sells' seem to be absolutely enthralled with them. I don't get it. It's very annoying as a republican, proud of this country warts and all, to read and see some of the shite that seems to be pining for the days when we tugged the forelock as they ran roughshod over the entire country. Bizarre.

Welcome, by all means. Céad míle Failte. But I don't need to be blasted with pregnancies, butler's stories, corgi's flatulence or anything else that has nothing to do with us.

Friendly neighbour....

AZOffaly

At the moment I think they are. They'd give back NI in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

deiseach

I often get that from my wife, that they'd be happily rid of NI. And I am certain that, deep down, she is kidding herself. You could see when push came to shove with Scotland that it would have grieved her to see the breakup of the UK. I know NI is 'different', but one of the differences is that the departure of NI from the Union would carry with it the whiff of surrender to the Provos, no matter how peaceful it might be at the time.

Keyser soze

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2015, 10:30:47 AM
At the moment I think they are. They'd give back NI in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the British psyche if you think that. Certain parts of the British Establishment, and by that I mean the most influential sections, will fight tooth and nail to retain this last vestige of the Empire.