Merry Christmas one and all.

Started by stew, December 23, 2016, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

The Romans had Saturnalia. And sure our own Celts had the whole winter solstice thing.

As for the happy holidays/merry xmas thing, which I use depends on the person being addressed.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on December 30, 2016, 04:09:14 PM
The Romans had Saturnalia. And sure our own Celts had the whole winter solstice thing.

As for the happy holidays/merry xmas thing, which I use depends on the person being addressed.

Wha? Do you ask them their religion first? :)

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 30, 2016, 03:16:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2016, 06:36:42 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 27, 2016, 06:18:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 26, 2016, 08:38:54 PM
A belated happy holidays ( :P) to you all!

One thing that pisses me off about the US is that its a six week build up to Christmas, then the whole thing stops in an instant on the 26th! I do miss the week or so it continues on for at home.

Hope youse all had and are having a good one!
The Americans don't say happy or merry Christmas anymore. Happy holidays term to keep the many different religions happy?

No problem saying happy thanksgiving.. Christian holiday?

Despite the origins, it's more of a secular (or maybe "all-religion") holiday.  Everyone celebrates it, except the Native Americans.

If its secular who are they giving thanks to? the state?

Tho it is a much more inclusive holiday than Christmas, to many people from a non European background is certainly less of a big deal or completely insignificant altogether

laoislad

Lights and tree all taken down today. Glad to see the back of them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Same in this house, it's like Christmas never happened. Although I did find a box of Quality Street at the back of the Christmas tree that everyone had forgotten about, I might tackle them during the darts  :)

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on December 23, 2018, 09:05:48 PM
Merry Christmas ya filthy animals

What about the people not from Kerry.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omochain

Happy Christmas to one and all. Hope 2019 proves to bring a little more sanity into all our lives.
Aris, Nollaig Shona Daoibh.

seafoid

Quote from: omochain on December 24, 2018, 03:48:31 AM
Happy Christmas to one and all. Hope 2019 proves to bring a little more sanity into all our lives.
Aris, Nollaig Shona Daoibh.
There will definitely be a bit of santy this evening but sanity is a while away

« No matter how well written or delivered a speech cannot divert whole whole societies from a well established course of action. Policies in motion tend to stay in motion ; to change the trajectory of a deeply set of initiatives requires the application of political forces of equal motion »

Steve Walt

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Happy holidays if you're one of those... and Merry Xmas for the rest!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Seamus Heaney

@HeaneyDaily
·
2h

On Christmas Eve my father would tell us, 'He's on his way now, coming round Slieve Gallon, if you listen hard maybe you'll hear the sleigh bells.' I remember climbing the beech tree at the end of our lane, listening through the frosty air.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Substandard

Happy Christmas to all posters here.
Ye have taken over from newspapers for me for getting different perspectives on things going on in the world and in our part of it.
Peace and goodwill to all- although that might make for a bland board: keep up the good work instead!!

ziggysego

Quote from: ziggysego on December 24, 2016, 08:02:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all the regulars and irregulars here at the gaaboard. I even extend the good wishes to all the lurkers too.

Hope your Christmases are merry and filled with happiness and great memories.

Ditto
Testing Accessibility

Jeepers Creepers

Here's till ye all. Have a merry Christmas and keep safe!