Fermanagh
Longford
Offaly
Sligo
Westmeath
Wexford

stew

Quote from: FermGael on April 01, 2018, 06:29:34 PM
I have never witnessed a referee change their mind after being challenged over a decision by a player.
All I have witnessed is a referee moving a free forward and then, as what happened yesterday, giving the
opposition team some soft frees.
I am not sure why players bother with it.

I would agree that Fermanagh commit abit more in the attacking side of the game.
They have a set of forwards who can do damage.
But then a reliable left footed free taker yesterday and we would probably have won so it might not be pretty
but it is effective.

You were never going to win that game yesterday, that was obvious from early on, we are better than you lot by three or so points, if you had upped your game we would have too I believe, the right team won the division and the right team went up with them. The proof of the pudding is in the eating they say, we shall see come Championship time.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tonto1888

On watching again last. Ight it looked like Quigley gave McCabe a wee punch in the gut. Not much in it mind but the ref could have taken exception to it.

David McKeown

I have never witnessed a referee change their mind after being challenged over a decision by a player.
All I have witnessed is a referee moving a free forward and then, as what happened yesterday, giving the

I would agree that Fermanagh commit abit more in the attacking side of the game.
But then a reliable left footed free taker yesterday and we would probably have won so it might not be pretty
but it is effective.

Is the underlying logic not so much that you won't change the referees mind on this one but you may get the next one a bit easier or make it harder for them to get the next one.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

tonto1888

Quote from: David McKeown on April 01, 2018, 06:51:05 PM

but it is effective.

Is the underlying logic not so much that you won't change the referees mind on this one but you may get the next one a bit easier or make it harder for them to get the next one.

Or you could put the ref against you

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 01, 2018, 06:56:48 PM

but it is effective.

+1

David McKeown

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 01, 2018, 11:00:06 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 01, 2018, 06:56:48 PM

but it is effective.

+1

Oh absolutely I remember talking to a few county footballers about this many years ago who would have been well known for 'expressing their opinion' to a referee and that was their justification.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: LCohen on April 01, 2018, 04:26:27 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 01, 2018, 04:23:16 PM
This is a an absolute pet hate of mine, I have to say, as there was at least one free moved up from a possibility to a near certainty.

By the way - to describe the Armagh players' frustration at the ref as 'strange' is...well...strange. Have a look at many sports and you'll see evidence of the same.

Ok so not "strange". Try "stupid"

No issue at all - 'stupid', yes, 'ill-disciplined', absolutely - 'strange' though suggests that it is something peculiar to Armagh players, and it is not.

LCohen

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 02, 2018, 07:51:33 AM
This is a an absolute pet hate of mine, I have to say, as there was at least one free moved up from a possibility to a near certainty.

By the way - to describe the Armagh players' frustration at the ref as 'strange' is...well...strange. Have a look at many sports and you'll see evidence of the same.

No issue at all - 'stupid', yes, 'ill-disciplined', absolutely - 'strange' though suggests that it is something peculiar to Armagh players, and it is not.

Agreed on that.

Some talk on how fouls were called/punished in the Division 3 final that were let go yesterday. There is no doubt that is frustrating and that consistency should be strived for. But in the meantime we need to be technically better in the tackle, sensible enough to adapt to how the referee is calling things and not stupid enough to rile him with indisciplined back chat

I thought Fermanagh were excellent at working with the referee. But in a way that reflects no credit on them or in football

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: LCohen on April 02, 2018, 11:57:07 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 02, 2018, 07:51:33 AM

Agreed on that.

Some talk on how fouls were called/punished in the Division 3 final that were let go yesterday. There is no doubt that is frustrating and that consistency should be strived for. But in the meantime we need to be technically better in the tackle, sensible enough to adapt to how the referee is calling things and not stupid enough to rile him with indisciplined back chat

I thought Fermanagh were excellent at working with the referee. But in a way that reflects no credit on them or in football

+1

By now you would thought that McGeeney would have created a team ethos of working the referee, discipline in accepting decisions whatever their consequence and being able to tackle properly.

The seatbelt tackle is now an immediate free if not a yellow card, why is this not being trained out of players.

McGeeney has always talked about defining the tackle but has not yet trained all of his players how to tackle effectively but without giving away the free?

Teams get a reputation among referees and suffer as a consequence, has this not occurred to the Armagh management as they begin a journey with a young team?

The greatest Armagh team knew how to work the referee and apart of Marty O'Rourke accepted decisions without rebuke and played on.  Has this lesson been lost on the current management team?

Patrick-Armagh

Quote from: bennydorano on March 31, 2018, 07:11:53 PM
I was trying to think what likely starters were missing? Paul Hughes & Mark Shields, anyone else??
Those would be the most likely and McParland in my opinion. At the moment I'd say that our Championship team would look something like:

Blaine Hughes

Patrick Burn, Aaron McKay, Paul Hughes

Mark Shields, Brendan Donaghy, Gregory McCabe

Stephen Sheridan, Charlie Vernon

Ben Crealey, Aidan Forker, Nially Grimley

Ethan Rafferty, Andrew Murnin, Rory Grugan

Ryan McShane won't have done his chances any harm either and having Kevin Dyas back could be a great option off the bench, as we are lacking creativity. We don't have many scoring forwards after the departure of Stefan Campbell and Jamie Clarke at the start of the season and this is one area of concern for me. Elsewhere, I think we look strong in a number of positions and have good options. The league has allowed a number of young players to come into the team, get some good game time and perform well. Championship is a whole other level, but we're still developing a squad, which is needed with so many high profile departures, it's difficult to get any continuity in our team. Great to win Division Three. Playing higher calibre teams next season will be great for this group of players.

Owen Brannigan

Did anyone, other than Jim McCorry, notice Down falling into Division 3 as Armagh stepped up to Division 2?

Hard not to smile.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 03, 2018, 09:17:16 AM
Did anyone, other than Jim McCorry, notice Down falling into Division 3 as Armagh stepped up to Division 2?

Hard not to smile.

It's great working with Down people who are tying themselves up in knots over eamon burns. Really don't rate him!!

bennydorano

Quote from: Patrick-Armagh on April 03, 2018, 12:16:24 AM
I was trying to think what likely starters were missing? Paul Hughes & Mark Shields, anyone else??
Those would be the most likely and McParland in my opinion. At the moment I'd say that our Championship team would look something like:

Blaine Hughes

Ryan McShane won't have done his chances any harm either and having Kevin Dyas back could be a great option off the bench, as we are lacking creativity. We don't have many scoring forwards after the departure of Stefan Campbell and Jamie Clarke at the start of the season and this is one area of concern for me. Elsewhere, I think we look strong in a number of positions and have good options. The league has allowed a number of young players to come into the team, get some good game time and perform well. Championship is a whole other level, but we're still developing a squad, which is needed with so many high profile departures, it's difficult to get any continuity in our team. Great to win Division Three. Playing higher calibre teams next season will be great for this group of players.
I think Mini McShane will make the Championship team, your HF line (& the most likely one tbf) is all big guys who aren't super mobile,Miini gives us something different, that speed with a low centre of gravity that is hard to deal with, he could start in corner forward just as easily tho.

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on April 03, 2018, 01:18:41 PM
Quote from: Patrick-Armagh on April 03, 2018, 12:16:24 AM

Blaine Hughes

I think Mini McShane will make the Championship team, your HF line (& the most likely one tbf) is all big guys who aren't super mobile,Miini gives us something different, that speed with a low centre of gravity that is hard to deal with, he could start in corner forward just as easily tho.

Benny is mini McShane one of yours? wasn't sure what club he's from...Some of them new young lads into the team this year i've took my eye of the ball and not sure what their clubs are...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Yeah, he's  Harps. Not sure what age he is, 23/24.