Derry
Fermanagh
Longford
Offaly
Sligo
Westmeath
Wexford

Blowitupref

FT Offaly 0-8 Sligo 0-8. A Sligo free in the 6th minute of injury time rescued a draw

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

FermGael

All to play for next weekend at top and bottom
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

oakleaflad

A game to play yet then. A draw would do us.

SLIGONIAN

Can Westmeath still go up? Hope they have something still to play for.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

tippabu

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 19, 2018, 07:02:12 PM

They need longford and fermanagh to draw and then beat offaly by 27 points!!

shark

Playing Offaly. That's enough in itself. Plus, there has been a fair bit of niggle between these two groups of players over the past few years. Westmeath will want to win, don't worry.

Shamrock Shore

Westmeath have to win by 27pts and hope Longford and Fermanagh draw. A tall order.

With eff all to be doing yesterday I tuned into Ocean FM to hear the bize. Honest to God, they are the most depressing duo that I have ever heard. Now, in fairness, the first half sounded like nightmare stuff, but them Sligo lads would have you reaching for the whiskey.

Final call.

Decided

Promotion 1 - Armagh
Relegation 1 - Wexford

Promotion 2 - Longford (after a dour defensive encounter)
Relegation 2 - I reckon both Offaly and Sligo will lose so it's toodle-loo to Offaly.

Division 3 final. Armagh v Longford. Armagh to win but each side will have at least 2 sent off!

magpie seanie

Quote from: shark on March 19, 2018, 08:03:47 PM

Playing Offaly. That's enough in itself. Plus, there has been a fair bit of niggle between these two groups of players over the past few years. Westmeath will want to win, don't worry.

That's what I suspected. We'll have to play better and try and get something out of the Derry game regardless. I wasn't at the Offaly game but from the radio and from a couple of people I know at the game (Sligo and Offaly) it appears it was chronic in the first half and decent in the second half. Thankfully Offaly tightened up and got nervy and negative in the second half while Sligo eventually got going.

I'd be very concerned about aspects of our tactics and approach but in general I believe in the players. I think we're capable of giving Derry a good game and if we're in the mix in the last 10 minutes hopefully get a result. Playing with 14 men behind the ball and not taking one long kickout when you're playing with the breeze and being persistently fouled when you try to run is crazy. I hope Coen's red card is appealed (heard it was very harsh) because we need him and Kyle Cawley starting the next day.

FermGael

If somebody would have told me at the start of the year that Fermanagh would be in a winner takes all game having played all of the league campaign without Sean Quigley and both Corrigan's starting a game I would have bitten your hand off. 
In fairness to Gallagher he has put a bit of depth into the squad to get us into this position.  Seamie Quigleys form has been fantastic and he really has knuckled down this year. 
IMO Rory needs to start his strongest attacking team. I suspect it will be a a tight affair on Sunday.  I see no harm in putting Sean up top alongside Seamie with Tomas as well.  That is our strongest attacking lineup and will mean Longford will have to decide where to deploy their sweeper or sweepers.  So far we have been easy to defend against as Seamie has been isolated on his own with a sweeper or 3 ( as Armagh had in the second half with 13 men and the breeze).  The three of them individually are good enough to get scores and the Quigleys will also give us a very good long ball option.  They will occupy the Longford defenders and give our half backs a license to break forward and score which they have been doing all year. 
It's a very winnable game on Sunday.  It should be at championship pace.
I was impressed by Fermanagh against Armagh because they were up against it and still managed to get a point.  More of that spirit will be needed on Sunday.

As for relegation, I have a funny feeling Derry will be relegated.  I think Sligo will beat them at home.  Derry won't bring a big support and Westmeath may take a chance to run the panel as realistically they can't go up. 

tintin25

Quote from: FermGael on March 20, 2018, 09:49:29 AM
If somebody would have told me at the start of the year that Fermanagh would be in a winner takes all game having played all of the league campaign without Sean Quigley and both Corrigan's starting a game I would have bitten your hand off. 
In fairness to Gallagher he has put a bit of depth into the squad to get us into this position.  Seamie Quigleys form has been fantastic and he really has knuckled down this year. 
IMO Rory needs to start his strongest attacking team. I suspect it will be a a tight affair on Sunday.  I see no harm in putting Sean up top alongside Seamie with Tomas as well.  That is our strongest attacking lineup and will mean Longford will have to decide where to deploy their sweeper or sweepers.  So far we have been easy to defend against as Seamie has been isolated on his own with a sweeper or 3 ( as Armagh had in the second half with 13 men and the breeze).  The three of them individually are good enough to get scores and the Quigleys will also give us a very good long ball option.  They will occupy the Longford defenders and give our half backs a license to break forward and score which they have been doing all year. 
I was impressed by Fermanagh against Armagh because they were up against it and still managed to get a point.  More of that spirit will be needed on Sunday.

As for relegation, I have a funny feeling Derry will be relegated.  I think Sligo will beat them at home.  Derry won't bring a big support and Westmeath may take a chance to run the panel as realistically they can't go up. 

Will he start the 3 of them though?  It appears he has selected players to play a certain style of system and it's probably unlikely he would start the 3 of them together.  I agree that we need our strongest side out and we still don't seem to be scoring enough.  The goalkeeping position is still a concern.

Croí na hÉireann

Travelled to Longford in the end Sunday, twas a grand day up there, well apart from the swirling wind. Kickouts decided this game in the end, Longford absolutely bossed us on them. We never got to grips with them at all as they had three separate plans for them. In the first half they spread out and looked for the short one out to the corner or popped into the free man in space between the 21 and the 45. In the second half they bunched together in the middle, then broke out into space and accurate kicking invariably found a runner. Then the knockout punch was to push men out into the middle while Westmeath were protecting the short runs out into space man, Longford kicked it long over everyone and worked the clinching goal with extra men and our backline exposed. While Longford were working through their kickout strategy routines we were kicking out long balls that were coming down with snow on them with our most effective high fielder sitting inside in the full forward line. As far as I can see we've damn all work done on kickouts and it'll be the reason we don't get promoted this year. Disappointing as we've some talented players who'd hold their own in division 2, just missing a center back and a midfield.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

FermGael

Quote from: tintin25 on March 20, 2018, 09:55:17 AM
Quote from: FermGael on March 20, 2018, 09:49:29 AM

Will he start the 3 of them though?  It appears he has selected players to play a certain style of system and it's probably unlikely he would start the 3 of them together.  I agree that we need our strongest side out and we still don't seem to be scoring enough.  The goalkeeping position is still a concern.

He has to start at least 2 of them on Sunday if we are to win.
Seamie needs some help up there. 
At a guess I would say he will start Tomas and leave Sean on the bench.
The ballsy thing would be to start all three and give them something to think about.

Farrandeelin

Is Eoin Donnelly still injured?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

FermGael