Sligo
Westmeath
Wexford

tonto1888

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on February 04, 2018, 10:54:27 PM
Quote from: FermGael on February 04, 2018, 10:04:36 PM
It's been nearly 15 years Tony.
Time to move on.....

Not quite fourteen years actually. Don't know about anyone else, but it still haunts me.

That one and the 2005 AI Semi final are the 2 which hurt the most

illdecide

The problem we're all in Div 3 lads is we're inconsistent. Potentially on our day we're all capable of beating each other but then go out next week and get beat, Div 1 & 2 teams do it week in week out.
Was really surprised that Armagh was as comfortable as they did as i expected a lot tougher game than that, I'm so glad we have Longford at home as they're usually very hard to beat in Longford.

Fermanagh are moving along nicely too, will be hard to beat.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 05, 2018, 10:06:39 AM
Happy with our performances so far but massive test come this Sunday. Not sure we will come out of Armagh with less than a spanking but we'll give it a lash. This game will tell us where we really are as, with all due respect to Offaly and Derry, they didn't really put it up to us.

Hopefully you'll have some indigestion at the game, but a lovely meal at the City Hotel. 

Quote from: illdecide on February 05, 2018, 10:46:24 AM
The problem we're all in Div 3 lads is we're inconsistent. Potentially on our day we're all capable of beating each other but then go out next week and get beat

Armagh cannot be relied on, alas.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lucifer

The problem we're all in Div 3 lads is we're inconsistent. Potentially on our day we're all capable of beating each other but then go out next week and get beat, Div 1 & 2 teams do it week in week out.
Was really surprised that Armagh was as comfortable as they did as i expected a lot tougher game than that, I'm so glad we have Longford at home as they're usually very hard to beat in Longford.

Whilst we (Fermanagh) have won both games, we haven't really been going that well. We have been lucky to get the supposed 2 weakest teams in the Division so far. Our attitude and workrate have been first class but our standard of play has been relatively poor.  We've benefitted from some really soft goals and have also given away some really soft goals.  Brewster Park is a real slog at the moment which doesn't help, it'll be nice to get away from it this weekend.  Hopefully our attacking play and ability to move the ball forward can improve; our starting forwards have only scored 0-6 in 2 games (excluding those goals.)

illdecide

Quote from: Lucifer on February 06, 2018, 09:09:34 AM

Whilst we (Fermanagh) have won both games, we haven't really been going that well. We have been lucky to get the supposed 2 weakest teams in the Division so far. Our attitude and workrate have been first class but our standard of play has been relatively poor.  We've benefitted from some really soft goals and have also given away some really soft goals.  Brewster Park is a real slog at the moment which doesn't help, it'll be nice to get away from it this weekend.  Hopefully our attacking play and ability to move the ball forward can improve; our starting forwards have only scored 0-6 in 2 games (excluding those goals.)

Hi Rory ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 05, 2018, 10:45:44 AM
Time to move on.....

Not quite fourteen years actually. Don't know about anyone else, but it still haunts me.

+1

FermGael

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 06, 2018, 09:00:05 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 05, 2018, 10:45:44 AM
Time to move on.....

+1

I was there that day in the Athletic grounds........
That was worse
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermGael

Fermanagh head to Sligo on Sunday.
Should be another good test of where we are at.
Being honest you would have expected 4 points out of our first 2 games.
I would think Sligo will be a step up in standard from Wexford and Offaly.
Corey will have them well drilled and he will know exactly what to expect from Fermanagh.
We are still conceding very soft goals and this has not really been remedied from last year. 
At times this year we have looked very strong defensively but individual players seems to be making
Poor decisions especially when we have got a lead of 5 or 6 points up.
Seamie Quigley hopefully should be over the flu but Sean played very well last week.
Would be interesting to see  an we accommodate both of them in the same team with Conal Jones at full forward as well.
Ryan Jones should be back after suspension which will be a big help around the middle and Micky Jones looked very good last week at corner back.  Good to have him back.
Can't see Tomas or Ruairi Corrigan starting on Sunday as they have not played a minute this year yet.  But it would be good to see them make the bench.
Fermanagh need to win this game on Sunday. Would set them up well going into the break and with Derry to play next at home, it could leave them well set for promotion. 

sligoman

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 05, 2018, 02:10:34 AM
I really enjoyed today and it was a pretty good win. Yes there's lots to work on but there were loads of positives for me. It was much better than I expected. I think having Ross in the FB was absolutely crucial. Even if he's not fully up to speed he's just so good and a true leader.....he continues to do amazing things. We were physically much smaller in the middle of the field but worked hard to overcome that disadvantage. I liked that lads role their sleeves up and were happy to do the dirty work which often goes unnoticed. That's crucial. Defensively we mostly had a good shape when we got set up but if Wexford got forward quickly we were a little porous. Also at times in the second half when we were well set we seemed to let them in too easily for scores. I saw enough though to suggest this is a work in progress and will get better as we go along. Certainly looked better than anything I saw in the last few years....lads clearly knew their roles.

In attack we did some good work but some of the players mentioned were disappointing. Coen had an excellent game and will be very important for us as the year progresses. Murf started well spraying a lot of good ball into the FF line and got a cracking goal but as the game went on he made a few uncharacteristic mistakes. I feel he's not being helped by being moved around the formation so much. Personally I feel he should be left inside.....he's at his most effective in there relative to who'd replace him. I certainly think he put in a decent shift all told though. Wouldn't say he was poor by any means. Hughes didn't have one of his better days, strangely losing his footing very often when getting set to challenge for high balls. Marren got on a lot of ball but with the exception of one really excellent quick transfer to Carrabine seemed intent on going for his own score or coming back out to where the pass came from. I suppose he has learned the lesson that points after your name makes it hard for you to be dropped!

The two wing forwards as mentioned and Luke Nicholson were notable performers for me. Also one of Eoin McHugh's better games, still has a lot to offer. Ewing has really developed into a first class player for us, he's just a lynchpin. To be fair though it was decent all over. Lots to build on. We'll need to improve for tougher tests ahead but I'm encouraged.

Would agree with a lot of this.

A good confidence booster for the young lads and you can see there is a lot of potential there when they get used to the physicality of the senior game.

McGuinness and Nicholson certainly look like they will be mainstays for the future, how ready they are now is debatable but I think it's fair to say they would still be the best options available in the county at present in those positions.

I was very impressed with Carrabine and he could have a lot to offer. Watching Sligo in recent years you can see new players have been tried out but they haven't been good enough by and large, we've got a very talented batch of young players coming through now, it may take time for them to adapt but for the first while in a long time the future is beginning to look up.

Ross was brilliant and even at his age he still has a lot to offer. Credit to the likes of Donovan, Harrison, Marren, Egan etc - they could easily have thrown the towel in, playing for Sligo over the past few years was never going to be rewarding but I think they have helped the young players settle in and this could be vital for the future of the team.

As regards Murphy, it would probably suit his game playing inside more but the problem is we can't afford to play him inside, we have other good options inside but we are really lacking players around the middle of the field.

Hopefully McDonnell returns soon and Cian Breheny can stay fit.

FermGael

Pitch inspection tomorrow morning at 9 for Fermanagh and Sligo.

FermGael

Fermanagh v Sligo off due to waterlogged pitch

magpie seanie

Very disappointing but an outrageous  amount of rain fell yesterday and it was wet to begin with.

naka

Pitch declared fine for Armagh game
Although it's snowing in the cathedral city at the moment

FermGael

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 11, 2018, 09:20:18 AM
Very disappointing but an outrageous  amount of rain fell yesterday and it was wet to begin with.

Yes serious rain. 
Good to see they made the call early.