Cheeky Ryanair

Started by ziggysego, August 13, 2007, 09:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Has anyone seen the new Ryanair press advertisment up here in the North.

It's a picture of Martin McGuinness, with a speech bubble coming from him "Flights so cheap, even the British Army flew home!"  :D
Testing Accessibility

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

It was only a matter of time.....

Ryanair has been accused of "scraping the bottom of the barrel" with its latest advertisement which features the Army's withdrawal from NI.

Unionist councillor Michael Copeland said it was "insensitive, crass and made a clear political statement".

The advertisement, which promotes the airline's new Belfast flight routes, appeared in newspapers on Monday.

It features Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness saying "the company's fares are so low even the British army flew home".

"The Ryanair marketing department are clearly stupid if they think that an advert like this is going to endear their company to a large chunk of the Northern Ireland travelling public," Mr Copeland said.

"To many like me who served in the Army, Northern Ireland is home.

"This shock tactic and 'oh no they didn't' style of advertising may have worked in the past, but I would recommend that Ryanair focuses on what it does best: cheap flights, rather than offending people with crass advertising like this."

A Ryanair spokesperson suggested Mr Copeland should book one of its flights.

"Maybe he needs a break - he certainly needs a sense of humour," they said.

Mind, it is the sort of cheap stunt that that wonderfully modest Mr O'Leary would pull.....
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on August 15, 2007, 08:13:30 AM
It was only a matter of time.....

Ryanair has been accused of "scraping the bottom of the barrel" with its latest advertisement which features the Army's withdrawal from NI.

Unionist councillor Michael Copeland said it was "insensitive, crass and made a clear political statement".

The advertisement, which promotes the airline's new Belfast flight routes, appeared in newspapers on Monday.

It features Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness saying "the company's fares are so low even the British army flew home".

"The Ryanair marketing department are clearly stupid if they think that an advert like this is going to endear their company to a large chunk of the Northern Ireland travelling public," Mr Copeland said.

"To many like me who served in the Army, Northern Ireland is home.

"This shock tactic and 'oh no they didn't' style of advertising may have worked in the past, but I would recommend that Ryanair focuses on what it does best: cheap flights, rather than offending people with crass advertising like this."

Mind, it is the sort of cheap stunt that that wonderfully modest Mr O'Leary would pull.....

Gotta say when I saw the advert I thought it was very funny, and the "large chunk of the travelling population" in the six counties Mr Copeland is talking about WILL use Ryanair, because they will be cheaper and offer more alternatives then the current providers.
Tbc....

Bensars

Exactly right.

The strong protestant work ethic and every penny is a prisioner ethos will ensure that the temporary revulsion of ryanair will only be short lived and economic astuteness will win the day over any moralistic viewpoints.

full back

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on August 15, 2007, 08:13:30 AM

:D
Good enough for the stuffy pr1ck

passedit

Quote from: 5iveTimes on October 29, 2007, 01:56:51 PM
Could be very handy for anyone going across the water to a football match or even taking the other half on a shopping trip for Christmas.
Where exactly is Lough Neagh airport? Is it anywhere near Belfast International?  ;)

Ryanair is starting the five day countdown to the launch of its Belfast base by releasing 100 thousand seats for €7.

The price includes taxes and charges and the seats are for travel in November, December and January from Belfast city to East Midlands, Glasgow, Liverpool and London.

The no-frills airline says that if passengers can find a lower fare on the same routes out of Belfast or Lough Neagh airports, it will pay double the difference.

I have four flights a week booked from now to xmas, been through the city a lot recently and they're expecting chaos this week as they're not really equipped to deal with the xtra traffic. If you're flying out get there early. You have been warned.

Don't Panic

magickingdom

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 13, 2007, 10:23:38 PM
Saw that in yesterdays papers, Do Ryanair fly out of the North?

ryanair headed north around about the same time aer lingus did, o leary keeps a close eye on them! they have had loads of adds over the years that could be described as not pc to say the least, even had one with the Pope at one stage so copeland better get used to it. btw the book 'Ryanair' is a great read...

The Watcher Pat

Anyone know will Ryanair let you fly Belfast- Liverpool with a out of date passport.

I have no time to get another one sorted out. Can't see why you should need a passport when easyjet allows you on with a driving licence.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

ExiledGael

You're in bother. Brother tried to do the exact same thing yesterday and was allowed right through to boarding where they checked his passport before he got on plane. Turned away and told there was nothing they could do and he will get no refund.

The Watcher Pat

Thought that myself. Was going to chance it but don't think i'll bother even going to Airport. Knowing my luck they would let me on here and not coming home. Then would cost me even more to book a last minute esayjet flight or something to get home.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME