Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: BIGONE on November 09, 2018, 11:41:45 AM
You would have to questions Cross' depth when they had to introduce Tony Kernan in Ulster club who has barely kicked a ball this year?

Because they wanted him to "kick a ball" before the next round?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Can't see anyone consistently challenging Cross anytime soon and it's the same old problem, the chasing teams have no real championship pedigree (bar Harps).

Cullyhanna maybe have the players but haven't the balls to win a championship, much like Dromintee in years gone by. That ship has sailed.

The nab put a mammoth effort in this year but it will take more of the same to even get close and whether they have it in them remains to be seen. Could be another Cullyhanna

Time is not on maghery's side. If things go their way and with a bit of luck they could *maybe* reach the heights of 2016. Not sure they have much talent coming through the ranks though?

Harps seem to have gone backwards last year. Not sure what happened but if they regrouped it's possible they could challenge as they have the players and the tradition of winning championships.

Clann Eireann were the great white hope but have regressed, still time for them though, it's easy saying the wheels come off when you compare what their young players have to look up to compared to their peers in cross.

Rest of Div 1A and B are much of a muchness and won't be causing any surprises anytime soon. Looks like Gerry Fegan will be in cross for the foreseeable

Ethan Tremblay

Agree with General Lee on most points. 

Cross have young players in major positions across the pitch and they are confident enough to use them there.  They had a tough campaign in Armagh and are now playing in Ulster, this experience is invaluable. 

Don't agree with the point on the Harps though.  To be honest, Lennon is their main scoring threat up front, but nobody else seems to be delivering them the same firepower and his number is already marked.  I've watched them a few times during the year and they were poor all over the pitch.  Shocking to see how much the digressed from the year before. 

There are 3/4 teams that will realistically be challenging for the championship next year.  The usual 3 contenders of cross, cullyhanna and maghery and any other team in 1a that hits form and has confidence, whether that be the nab or the harps again. 

There is a clear divide in standard between 1a and 1b, no division 1b teams will be anywhere near the business end in my honest opinion.  But again, the format of league and championship seeding was a huge success. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Throw ball

Although I would agree that Cross hold the aces at the minute I still feel that next season any of Cullyhanna, Ballymacnab , Harps or Maghery could beat them. Maghery had major injuries this year. I was disappointed in Cullyhanna but in Nugent, Duffy and McQuillan, among others, they have some very good players. Nab are short on depth and would be disappointed in this season. Harps had a bad year but have good players and did get to minor final this year so will have others coming through. They might need a change in direction though either through new management or a shake up in tactics. My big hope is that teams go our believing they can win rather than throwing the towel in as they did in the past.

Rufus T Firefly

I don't think there was an awareness around the County of how potent Rangers were going to be prior to the knockout stages of the Senior Championship. They finished the group match against Madden holding on by their finger nails as Madden came looking an equalizer, having just beaten Silverbridge by a point. This was coming on the back of their absence from the County Finals of 2016 and 2017.

When they beat us by ten points in the quarter-final, many were keen to emphasise how inept our display was (and it was) but having watched their fire power up front that night, I was sure they were going to take the title. As BC has pointed out, they have a relatively young team who will take great confidence from that victory.

For us, this season never ever got going. We had a few long term injuries to key players and a number of other important players lost form. Furthermore, our commitment to the County in terms of personnel meant that we could never get a settled team that would have resembled our Championship 15. However ultimately, the main issue for me was that our Championship success of last year sated the collective appetite and that showed in many performances throughout the year. There was not the raw hunger there. If we are to mount a serious challenge in 2019, there is no doubt that key to that will be the attitude of the players and how much they want to get back to the top.   

David McKeown

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 10, 2018, 09:48:44 AM
I don't think there was an awareness around the County of how potent Rangers were going to be prior to the knockout stages of the Senior Championship. They finished the group match against Madden holding on by their finger nails as Madden came looking an equalizer, having just beaten Silverbridge by a point. This was coming on the back of their absence from the County Finals of 2016 and 2017.

When they beat us by ten points in the quarter-final, many were keen to emphasise how inept our display was (and it was) but having watched their fire power up front that night, I was sure they were going to take the title. As BC has pointed out, they have a relatively young team who will take great confidence from that victory.

For us, this season never ever got going. We had a few long term injuries to key players and a number of other important players lost form. Furthermore, our commitment to the County in terms of personnel meant that we could never get a settled team that would have resembled our Championship 15. However ultimately, the main issue for me was that our Championship success of last year sated the collective appetite and that showed in many performances throughout the year. There was not the raw hunger there. If we are to mount a serious challenge in 2019, there is no doubt that key to that will be the attitude of the players and how much they want to get back to the top.   

Rufus

I spoke to a few men who would have been involved with the Harps over the years and would be at most matches and the general consensus from them was that the team was suffering a bit from same voice syndrome. Don't know if the players felt that way mind but anytime I saw the Harps this year they struck me as a team more or less going through the motions. Do you think either a change of management or a change of approach would be necessary for next year?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: David McKeown on November 10, 2018, 10:26:39 AM
Rufus I spoke to a few men who would have been involved with the Harps over the years and would be at most matches and the general consensus from them was that the team was suffering a bit from same voice syndrome. Don't know if the players felt that way mind but anytime I saw the Harps this year they struck me as a team more or less going through the motions. Do you think either a change of management or a change of approach would be necessary for next year?

Yes, I think there would be an argument for freshening things up, definitely.

armaghniac

Quote from: Throw ball on November 09, 2018, 05:37:19 PM
Although I would agree that Cross hold the aces at the minute I still feel that next season any of Cullyhanna, Ballymacnab , Harps or Maghery could beat them. Maghery had major injuries this year. I was disappointed in Cullyhanna but in Nugent, Duffy and McQuillan, among others, they have some very good players. Nab are short on depth and would be disappointed in this season. Harps had a bad year but have good players and did get to minor final this year so will have others coming through. They might need a change in direction though either through new management or a shake up in tactics. My big hope is that teams go our believing they can win rather than throwing the towel in as they did in the past.

My only observation is that if Clarke does return, and that is never certain, then such a good additional player could turn Rangers from a team others might beat on a good day into one that was very hard to beat.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on November 10, 2018, 02:15:20 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on November 09, 2018, 05:37:19 PM

My only observation is that if Clarke does return, and that is never certain, then such a good additional player could turn Rangers from a team others might beat on a good day into one that was very hard to beat.

His transfer back has been complete so he will be playing for us next season

yellowcard

I think it's a little bit premature to be speculating about another period of Cross dominance just yet although it is easy to make a case for it alright. The reality is that they are heavily dependent on the 2 O'Neills and would not have won a championship without either. They have weaknesses in their full back line and the jury is still out on the new keeper.

That said, they obviously have a good production line of talent coming through and if they can add Clarke and Cian McConville into that full forward line I can't see anyone beating them next year.

As others have suggested, Cullyhanna would be the next best in terms of talent but they have been nearly men for too long now and may have missed their best chance this year. Maghery are an ageing side and Clann Eireann are typical of a town team who struggle to keep their players as they move out of the underage system. Below the top 4/5 teams there is not a great deal of depth in Armagh club football.

BIGONE

Maghery on the hunt for new management I hear?

rory

Have Armagh changed their age groups for this year?  U14 is now U14.5 etc.  Heard that and was wondering if it is coming in.  Does it mean U16 is U16.5 and Minor is U18.5?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: rory on January 10, 2019, 10:16:15 AM
Have Armagh changed their age groups for this year?  U14 is now U14.5 etc.  Heard that and was wondering if it is coming in.  Does it mean U16 is U16.5 and Minor is U18.5?

That's correct Rory. Seems to be following the school years now the way it is up to U12

rory

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 10, 2019, 11:08:27 AM
Quote from: rory on January 10, 2019, 10:16:15 AM

That's correct Rory. Seems to be following the school years now the way it is up to U12

Personally, I think this is the best way to go.  Fellas get to play with their school year all the way up instead of being split every other year from their peer group and it means that Minors have that extra half year to play at that level (instead of old 7th years having to play adult football)

Although, how does this fit in with the current Croke Park thinking that U17 should be Minor.  Armagh are basically going in the opposite direction.  I've never been a fan of the U17 thing.  I look at some lads who would be moving in to adult football after U17 and think they'll be lost as they haven't matured physically to deal with it and will probably quit.  I know counties are meant to have U20 leagues to keep these kind of boys going, but I can't see those leagues working as a lot of clubs will have 18, 19 and 20 year olds playing for their adult teams and the U20 teams would struggle for numbers. 

Think this is a great decision by Armagh.

Harold Disgracey

Waiting on confirmation from Croke Park that they approve the changes, hopefully it'll be given this weekend. As someone whose birthday is on 31st December these changes are long overdue!