brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on October 07, 2014, 01:40:11 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 06, 2014, 10:36:59 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 06, 2014, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: PAULD123 on September 29, 2014, 01:27:36 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 29, 2014, 12:57:22 PM
Down IFC Final - 12th Oct
Ballymartin v Warrenpoint

Warrenpoint will win this and also Ulster too.

thanks for the support Brick, but there is along way to go just to win Down. Ciaran McCartan is suspended for the Ballymartin game. As for Ulster, neither Ballymartin nor Warrenpoint will find it easy, there are teams in Armagh and Tyrone that are effectively Senior Championship sides playing below themselves.

Armagh have for years been at this carry on with Division 1 teams playing in the Intermediate Championship, but this doesn't happen in Tyrone.  If you are in the Intermeidate Championship its because you are a division 2 team.  Dungannon won the IFC yesterday and I'm not too sure how they will fare in Ulster as they were really only aiming for a county title this year.  Can't see how they would be classed as a 'Senior Championship side' considering its been a decade since they were in Division 1 and were in Division 3 (Junior) until 2 seasons ago.

It hasn't happened in 3 seasons now, not since Cullaville in 2011.  It's split across Senior Intermediate and 2 junior divisions A and B but they both play junior championship.  The divisions are levelling out now and probably better reflective of how they should be.
I stand to be corrected but did Shane O'Neill's not play in the intermediate last year while being in Division 1; and Annaghmore in Junior while being Division 2 (and also winning it)?

You're actually right.  This is the first year the divisions have reflected the championship.

I see Iniskeen and Warrenpoint won yesterday as well in Monagahan and Down respectively. 

Brick Tamlin

Warrenpoint won with their eyes closed.
Whats the calibre like of the other county champions at this level?

elk

Warrenpoint won in a canter yesterday, Ballymartin had a slow start and things just got worse for them when Fitzpatrick was injured. Should be good test for Warrenpoint in 3 weeks time against the Tyrone champs.

general_lee

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 13, 2014, 11:38:20 AM
Hard to gauge but I would always consider the Tyrone, Derry and Monaghan champions to be strong contenders at this level. Portglenone and Warrenpoint obviously be two teams to watch out for.

St Paul's have bridged a 30 year gap so anything in Ulster is bonus territory for them, then again they just completed a league/champ double in Armagh so won't exactly be slouches either.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on October 13, 2014, 02:20:47 PM
Hard to gauge but I would always consider the Tyrone, Derry and Monaghan champions to be strong contenders at this level. Portglenone and Warrenpoint obviously be two teams to watch out for.

St Paul's have bridged a 30 year gap so anything in Ulster is bonus territory for them, then again they just completed a league/champ double in Armagh so won't exactly be slouches either.

Iniskeen in Monaghan are a pretty good outfit.  Very goof footballing side and if the weather favours them they can cause trouble.  They beat a pretty strong Donaghmoyne side who would be physically strong.  The same Donaghmoyne side beat last years AI winners Truagh in the early stages of the Monaghan championship.

DownFanatic

Drumaness are Down's junior reps and Warrenpoint are the intermediate reps.
The Point are ridiculously strong at this level.

Sleater

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 13, 2014, 02:48:39 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 13, 2014, 02:20:47 PM

Iniskeen in Monaghan are a pretty good outfit.  Very goof footballing side and if the weather favours them they can cause trouble.  They beat a pretty strong Donaghmoyne side who would be physically strong.  The same Donaghmoyne side beat last years AI winners Truagh in the early stages of the Monaghan championship.

Donaghmoyne caught Truagh on the hop last year. Inniskeen had that bit more class than Donaghmoyne who are a physically strong team. I really don't think Inniskeen will trouble ulster this year, they don't have the all round ability of last year's winners Truagh. Inniskeen have an excellent full forward with the three Meegans. Defensively they are solid but nothing special. Matthew McKenna at CHB is key for them and they're midfield is average (Fergal Duffy is a ticking timebomb waiting to go off while big Gerard McArdle is a decent ball winner but not overly mobile). If you look at Intermediate table in Monaghan 3 points separates top from from 7th (out of 10 teams) which goes to show you there is no real standout team in the division this year.

Boghopper

Dungannon v Warrenpoint could be a great game two good teams, Warrenpoint's previous experience at this level could prove vital. The Rock will win Ulster and depending on the quality of teams down the Country they could end up in another AI Final.

DownFanatic

IFC

Preliminary Round - October 19th
Cootehill (Cavan) v Portglenone (Antrim)

Quarter Final - November 2nd
Warrenpoint (Down) v Dungannon (Tyrone)
Castledawson (Derry) v Donegal
St Paul's (Armagh) v Derrylin (Fermanagh)
Inniskeen (Monaghan) v Cavan/Antrim

Semi Final - November 16th
Down/Tyrone v Derry/Donegal
Armagh/Fermanagh v Monaghan/Cavan/Antrim

Final - November 30th

JFC

Moneymore (Derry) v Rock (Tyrone)
Drumaness (Down) v St Malachy's (Antrim)
Keady/Collegeland (Armagh) v Drumhowan (Monaghan)
Arva (Cavan) v Urris (Donegal)

Final - November 29th/30th

elk

Quote from: Boghopper on October 14, 2014, 09:24:20 PM
Dungannon v Warrenpoint could be a great game two good teams, Warrenpoint's previous experience at this level could prove vital. The Rock will win Ulster and depending on the quality of teams down the Country they could end up in another AI Final.
Warrenpoints forwards will not get the same amount of room against Dungannon as they did in their county final but I still think they will have enough to get through this tie.Good chance the winner of this tie will win Ulster

rodney trotter

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 14, 2014, 09:33:57 PM
IFC

Preliminary Round - October 19th
Swanlinbar (Cavan) v Portglenone (Antrim)

Warrenpoint (Down) v Dungannon (Tyrone)
Castledawson (Derry) v Donegal
St Paul's (Armagh) v Derrylin (Fermanagh)
Inniskeen (Monaghan) v Cavan/Antrim

Down/Tyrone v Derry/Donegal
Armagh/Fermanagh v Monaghan/Cavan/Antrim

Final - November 30th

JFC

Moneymore (Derry) v Rock (Tyrone)
Drumaness (Down) v St Malachy's (Antrim)
Keady/Collegeland (Armagh) v Drumhowan (Monaghan)
Arva (Cavan) v Urris (Donegal)

Final - November 29th/30th

It's Cootehill who are playing in the Intermediate Preliminary Round game.  Not sure where Swanlinbar came from, they were lucky to stay up, played in the relegation final last weekend.

theticklemister

Haven't seen castledawson in while. They have won two intermediates in last four years. Traditionally a regular senior team with a physical approach. 

Brick Tamlin

not knowing much about the teams at this level, would there be many strong teams backboned by county men current or past?
Who are the main men for Dungannon, Castledawson etc?

elk

Are there any betting odds available for the Ulster Intermediate championship? After watching Warrenpoint's performance on Sunday and with one of their better players to come back in after suspension, I wouldn't mine getting a few quid on them to win Ulster.

PAULD123

Quote from: elk on October 15, 2014, 11:34:30 AM
Are there any betting odds available for the Ulster Intermediate championship? After watching Warrenpoint's performance on Sunday and with one of their better players to come back in after suspension, I wouldn't mine getting a few quid on them to win Ulster.

Tyrone Clubs have won 3 of the last six titles and were runners up in another, plus two All-Ireland's. If Warrenpoint can overcome Dungannon then they will have a very realistic shot at the title. But that title attempt could be dead in the water next Sunday when a club from one of Ireland's strongest club intermediate championships comes calling to Newry.

i wouldn't be holding out any optimism until after the final whistle next Sunday, only then will we have any idea where Warrenpoint might be placed