Ulster IFC and JFC Club Championships 2014

Started by DownFanatic, August 13, 2014, 04:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SambaSaffron

I'd agree with Trillick being favourites, very strong side. Portglenone from Antrim could give them bother though, wouldn't discount them.

rodney trotter

Niall McKeever plays with Portglenone ,any other Co players?

They play the Cavan champions in the prelimanary round in Cavan, maybe worry about that first

imtommygunn

Portglenone haven't won antrim yet... They play Moneyglass who have Kevin Brady(former county player).

There's one or two fringe antrim players for portglenone. (Delargy and a guy in the forwards who's name escapes me)  Moneyglass I think have a guy who's currently a sub too.(Duffin)

Ballymena did well the other year but Cavan champions traditionally strong.

general_lee

Dunno how anyone can call favourites in this competition. Especially saying none of the teams being talked about have even won their respective county championship. All the teams are going to be around a similar level regardless and there won't be too much between any of the teams.

If anything though Warrenpoint (should they win Down) have a slight advantage as the have the experience of playing in this competition in the last few years.

Tyrone, Derry, Monaghan are traditionally strong at this level but I wouldn't be surprised if the Armagh winners went far this year - two big teams that are strong aerially which usually comes in handy around this time of year.

elk

Quote from: general_lee on September 30, 2014, 03:00:22 PM
Dunno how anyone can call favourites in this competition. Especially saying none of the teams being talked about have even won their respective county championship. All the teams are going to be around a similar level regardless and there won't be too much between any of the teams.

If anything though Warrenpoint (should they win Down) have a slight advantage as the have the experience of playing in this competition in the last few years.
Tyrone, Derry, Monaghan are traditionally strong at this level but I wouldn't be surprised if the Armagh winners went far this year - two big teams that are strong aerially which usually comes in handy around this time of year.
As far as I'm aware the management team and a fair few of the players have moved on since Warrenpoint last won Down and competed in the Ulster championship. It 's all guesswork as to which counties will have strong representatives and which won't.

PAULD123

In fairness Warrenpoint have Ross McGarry (former county minor & U21 captain), Ryan Boyle, Ryan Mallon and Ciaran McCartan (all county seniors) and about six other vital players including Ryan McAleenan who all played in the Ulster final two years ago. There is also John Boyle (former county senior) to add to the mix.

So Warrenpoint do have plenty of experience despite their youth. But Talk of Ulster before we have even played Ballymartin is foolish. It will be a tough task to win Down let alone worrying about playing a Tyrone side. Not forgetting Down have only had one representative in in Ulster Final in 15 years Tyrone clubs have won three of the last six with a runner's up last year. Certainly a case of the old cliche - one game at a time lads

cavanlad

Cavan IFC & JFC finals on this weekend

Saturday at 7pm in Kingspan Breffni Park
Intermediate Championship Final - Cootehill vs. Ballyhaise

Sunday at 4pm in Kingspan Breffni Park
Junior Championship Final - Arva vs. Ballymachugh
Avra lost last years decider.
My ignore list - Richiej

rodney trotter

Cooethill play Portglenone in the Premliminary round.

Cootehill were impressive on Saturday.

Somebody mentioned Trillick as one of the favs for Ulster, they didnt even win the Tyrone Final.

orangeman

Quote from: FermGael on September 30, 2014, 11:12:30 AM
I would assume if Trillick win Tyrone as expected they would be the favourites for Ulster at Intermediate level

Dungannon bound to be favourites now after a big win yesterday.

Warrenpoint have a good all round side. Portglenone good side as well.

rodney trotter

Arva were the Junior winners in Cavan. They could do well in Ulster but hard to know. as it's into the unknown.

nrico2006

Quote from: PAULD123 on September 29, 2014, 01:27:36 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 29, 2014, 12:57:22 PM
Down IFC Final - 12th Oct
Ballymartin v Warrenpoint

Warrenpoint will win this and also Ulster too.

thanks for the support Brick, but there is along way to go just to win Down. Ciaran McCartan is suspended for the Ballymartin game. As for Ulster, neither Ballymartin nor Warrenpoint will find it easy, there are teams in Armagh and Tyrone that are effectively Senior Championship sides playing below themselves.

Armagh have for years been at this carry on with Division 1 teams playing in the Intermediate Championship, but this doesn't happen in Tyrone.  If you are in the Intermeidate Championship its because you are a division 2 team.  Dungannon won the IFC yesterday and I'm not too sure how they will fare in Ulster as they were really only aiming for a county title this year.  Can't see how they would be classed as a 'Senior Championship side' considering its been a decade since they were in Division 1 and were in Division 3 (Junior) until 2 seasons ago. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 06, 2014, 10:33:36 AM

thanks for the support Brick, but there is along way to go just to win Down. Ciaran McCartan is suspended for the Ballymartin game. As for Ulster, neither Ballymartin nor Warrenpoint will find it easy, there are teams in Armagh and Tyrone that are effectively Senior Championship sides playing below themselves.

Armagh have for years been at this carry on with Division 1 teams playing in the Intermediate Championship, but this doesn't happen in Tyrone.  If you are in the Intermeidate Championship its because you are a division 2 team.  Dungannon won the IFC yesterday and I'm not too sure how they will fare in Ulster as they were really only aiming for a county title this year.  Can't see how they would be classed as a 'Senior Championship side' considering its been a decade since they were in Division 1 and were in Division 3 (Junior) until 2 seasons ago.

It hasn't happened in 3 seasons now, not since Cullaville in 2011.  It's split across Senior Intermediate and 2 junior divisions A and B but they both play junior championship.  The divisions are levelling out now and probably better reflective of how they should be.

FermGael

Derrylin beat Maguiresbridge in the intermediate final last Friday night in Fermanagh
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

general_lee

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 06, 2014, 10:36:59 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 06, 2014, 10:33:36 AM

It hasn't happened in 3 seasons now, not since Cullaville in 2011.  It's split across Senior Intermediate and 2 junior divisions A and B but they both play junior championship.  The divisions are levelling out now and probably better reflective of how they should be.
I stand to be corrected but did Shane O'Neill's not play in the intermediate last year while being in Division 1; and Annaghmore in Junior while being Division 2 (and also winning it)?

general_lee

St Paul's Lurgan beat Grange yesterday to win the Armagh IFC